Phil Jones and Sergio Romero omitted from United's 25-man Premier League squad

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Romero's not even turned up to training yet and his wife's social media outburst probably talked him out of any involvement with the team ever again, he likely would've been included if not for that. We probably should've told him he was no longer needed but he'd have to be delusional to think he had any place in the team once Henderson came back.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

That's a little low brow honestly if true.

I do agree that Romero hasn't been treated in a respectful manner as of late when he's done nothing but be arguably the best deputy GK in the league since he's joined without complaints.

Blocking moves for him to good clubs over the last 2 years when we've had Henderson in our long term plans the whole time is a bit disappointing and I'd fully understand if he felt aggrieved
Ole and his staff decide on whether Romero and Jones are in their plans for the season. If Romero wasn't in the plans, you'd have expected Ole to have told him already. However, with the Tweets that seem to be coming out of ESPN, it seems that they want to portray Ole as not having communicated this. More reliable sources, however, have latched onto how United have made it difficult for Romero to leave (especially after his wife posted that message on Instagram).

We knew that Ole wanted to keep Henderson in the team to compete against de Gea. That would have meant that Romero wasn't going to get a look into the team. You'd expect Ole to tell him that he has no place any more and that he'd have to look for new clubs. The onus would then fall on the higher-ups to allow him to leave, which they've made difficult. In my view, I think the higher-ups absolutely screwed up Romero's departure as they wanted more money. If we take that Tweet as the truth, though, then the blame falls on Ole for not making this clear to the higher-ups.

saivet

I still can't believe the club gave Jones' a new contract last year. Even his agent wasn't expecting it.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Both the Romero and Jones situations have been screwed up massively by the club. I feel for Romero because he's been the definition of dependable and we got him on a free transfer.
No we didn’t sir. We paid £10m for Romero.

stu_1992

Pretty poor way to handle players even if they have no intention on keeping Romero. Always been solid and dependable as a backup. Mot a star name but more than deserving of respect. He's one of the few signings you can actually call an unqualified success post-Sir Alex.

As for Jones, others have said it already, but the decision to give him a new deal, when they did, was nonsense. Especially for how long it is. A fecking pay as you play deal maybe, but even then I wouldn't be interested in seeing him actually play for us anymore.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

That's a little low brow honestly if true.

I do agree that Romero hasn't been treated in a respectful manner as of late when he's done nothing but be arguably the best deputy GK in the league since he's joined without complaints.

Blocking moves for him to good clubs over the last 2 years when we've had Henderson in our long term plans the whole time is a bit disappointing and I'd fully understand if he felt aggrieved
How would a Rob Dawson of ESPN know this?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Disappointing about both. Jones is a sick note, but it’s not like he was just trying to pull a paycheck. Don’t remember him ever jake-ing it or anything.

Both should have been treated a bit better & released. We could have shown a bit more class with both.

slored1

Bloody hell, extending Jones's contract in 2019 has got to be the worst decision regarding contract extensions in our history.

Shark

@NotShark
Bloody hell, extending Jones's contract in 2019 has got to be the worst decision regarding contract extensions in our history.
Letting Smalling go was also pretty daft, could have done with him tonight with Maguire not travelling.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Letting Smalling go was also pretty daft, could have done with him tonight with Maguire not travelling.
If Smalling was still here there would be another player on the books left out of the squad.

TsuWave

This is why I'm never too harsh on players when they look after their personal interests.

Ole and his staff decide on whether Romero and Jones are in their plans for the season. If Romero wasn't in the plans, you'd have expected Ole to have told him already. However, with the Tweets that seem to be coming out of ESPN, it seems that they want to portray Ole as not having communicated this. More reliable sources, however, have latched onto how United have made it difficult for Romero to leave (especially after his wife posted that message on Instagram).

We knew that Ole wanted to keep Henderson in the team to compete against de Gea. That would have meant that Romero wasn't going to get a look into the team. You'd expect Ole to tell him that he has no place any more and that he'd have to look for new clubs. The onus would then fall on the higher-ups to allow him to leave, which they've made difficult. In my view, I think the higher-ups absolutely screwed up Romero's departure as they wanted more money. If we take that Tweet as the truth, though, then the blame falls on Ole for not making this clear to the higher-ups.
I don’t think it’s true at all. It’s not exactly a surprise is it, it’s 100% expected that he wasn’t to be included.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Let us down? This is not some project at work with the biggest customer, it’s bloody football. The guy was signed as a reserve, a backup, you’re basically paid 50k a week to stay fit and sit in the stands. I feel the notion that he’s supposed to play in the cups and so forth, but again, he was signed as a backup. He is also paid enormous amounts of money for contributing little to the output, we don’t need to feel sad for Romero.
I was waiting for somebody to come at me with a 'yeah, feel sorry for being paid X thousand pounds' card and it took more than I'd thought it would. Obviously you're right in that sense, don't get me wrong, but using this logic you should never feel bad for any top-flight footballer for sporting reasons.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes, Jones should not have handed a new contract, but the Romero situation is screwed up how?
We got him on a free and were looking for £8m to let him go in the summer. Realistically we should have taken the £2m Everton offered for a
loan because we will probably have to release him for a nominal fee at best now.

Zlatattack

Jones has three years left and won't be able to move to clubs outside of the window. He'll be sitting tight with us not wanting to give him a pay off of three years. Giving him a new contract along with Rojo was one of the worst decisions in recent years.
It feels like genuine sabotage.

hungrywing

shambles and disgraceful if true.

Well... it is consistent with Bloopwad's past behavior. Petty and socially tone-deaf, trying to project 'authority' in all the wrong situations.

I still can't believe the club gave Jones' a new contract last year. Even his agent wasn't expecting it.

Woodward's like a 'poor' kid who grew up thinking rich kids all can make stupid mistakes because daddy will pay for them to go away and people won't remember plus he has a bunch of hangers-on that keep reassuring him not to worry, that people won't remember. Then when he gets rich he acts just like that. Trouble is even the vast majority of rich kids are taught that if you do something really weird, people remember FOR BLOODY EVER.

ti vu

This will add to the United tax, whenever we try to sign a player. Player will try to protect their own interest.
Why leave out Jones? Do we have that many players? They are injured just like him.
Yes. We're over the limit by 2 in the PL and by 3 for Champions League (Rojo, Jones, Romero were left out).

The issue is unless this is proven to be discipline issue from the players part, it wouldn't look pretty for our club in future dealings for how we treat our players. Injury prone doesn't make you less professional. We have other injury prone players in the squad too. So what is the reason?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
While making 150k a week between them. Poor souls.
Why do people always have to turn nasty for no particular reason? It’s not the players fault - they both want to leave. It’s up to the board to get them out. No need for bitterness towards the players.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Suspect Jones will end up playing a fair few more matches for this club. We have to find a way to put him in the shop window

This will add to the United tax, whenever we try to sign a player. Player will try to protect their own interest.

Yes. We're over the limit by 2 in the PL and by 3 for Champions League (Rojo, Jones, Romero were left out).

The issue is unless this is proven to be discipline issue from the players part, it wouldn't look pretty for our club in future dealings for how we treat our players. Injury prone doesn't make you less professional. We have other injury prone players in the squad too. So what is the reason?
what’s the problem in not picking a player who is constantly injured, and unavailable for the first team?

zizou81

He's gone AWOL, the feck was he expecting?
He's gone AWOL because Ole has phased him out. No respect for probably the best no 2 keeper in uniteds history.

Im very disappointed at this. At least he could have been sent out on loan or sold.

It reminds me of when Bastian was phased out and told he had no future and then worked his way back into the team. I dont see this happening for Romero.

True or not, i dont like how hes been treated. Quite embarrassing actually as a united fan.

Reactions: golden_blunder
Suspect Jones will end up playing a fair few more matches for this club. We have to find a way to put him in the shop window
how is he going to play? We might bring him back into the PL and CL squad on Jan if we move on a couple of other players.

I assume he’s eligible for the League Cup or FA Cup, but I don’t see why we would play him at the expense of someone in the 25 man squad?

I think he’s done.

hopefully he gets fit, and can find a club in jan. he still has a good 3-4 years at a reasonable level potentially.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Romero has been treated very unfairly. But, nothing compared to the way Arteta has treated Ozil!!!

ti vu

what’s the problem in not picking a player who is constantly injured, and unavailable for the first team?
Leaving out of the squad is always seen as punishment. So what wrong did players do? Injury prone is bad luck. If club doesn't like it why does it extend the player contract last year? Did Phil Jones in this case, choose to be injury prone after the new contract, or it's known issue?

So as a new player comes to the club, you may end up picking up injuries. Knowing this club has form about punishing player for being injury prone. You would ask for more money as insurance for your career just in case. New level of United tax.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
how is he going to play? We might bring him back into the PL and CL squad on Jan if we move on a couple of other players.

I assume he’s eligible for the League Cup or FA Cup, but I don’t see why we would play him at the expense of someone in the 25 man squad?

I think he’s done.

hopefully he gets fit, and can find a club in jan. he still has a good 3-4 years at a reasonable level potentially.
He's on a 3 year contract at somewhere in the region of £4-5m a year. Cant see anyone taking that kind of risk with him unless (a) we eat a significant chunk of his future earnings or (b) he plays some matches and plays okay.

Leaving out of the squad is always seen as punishment. So what wrong did players do? Injury prone is bad luck. If club doesn't like it why does it extend the player contract last year? Did Phil Jones in this case, choose to be injury prone after the new contract, or it's known issue?

So as a new player comes to the club, you may end up picking up injuries. Knowing this club has form about punishing player for being injury prone. You would ask for more money as insurance for your career just in case. New level of United tax.
he’s been at United for over 9 years, we have too many players. Someone has to be left out and in terms of numbers (not quality), we are stacked at CB.

Do you really think a player coming in looks at this situation and says “I’m not going to sign, because if I’m injured after being at the club 9 years, I might get left out”.

it’s not a punishment, we have too many players.

I don’t know whether you are overthinking this, but it’s not a good point.