Phil Jones and Sergio Romero omitted from United's 25-man Premier League squad

led_scholes

33 is definitely not old for a keeper and 8 mil wouldn’t buy you any other keeper of Romero’s pedigree so I think that price represents value. Just cos he’s not in our plans doesn’t mean he’s not a valuable asset, especially from the perspective of the buying club.
What are his wages? I ve heard around 2 mil. per year. Why the hell would we keep a Gk that he can only play in Carabao Cup and pay him 2 mil?. We should have sold him for 2 mil. (i think that was the offer) plus not paying his wages which are certain expenses, so up to 4 millions.

Redlyn

I feel sorry for Romero. Played 10% of the games a player of his talent deserves and we didn't allow him leave even when he wasn't needed. I hope he's not regretting his career. We are cnuts.

Jones, how is he still a manutd player with a shiny new contract. It's like we are still in 2009. I swear he has something on someone so we have to keep paying him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I can see your point, but agree to disagree since it's all assumption. There are cases where players never gonna heal. They just play with injuries and some had adapted to find form, sharpness quicker than others. If we could have heal Jones for all this time, we're not having this discussion right? We have other injury prone players too all these years.
You have a point, of course, but I just wonder if there was something serious about Jones's recent knee injury that required surgery and a lengthy layoff. Anyways, he's not really in Ole's plans, anyways, that's for sure. If a club comes in for him in January, I do hope that the higher-ups let him go rather than hold on for a higher price.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Yeah but come on, he’s 3rd choice, not going to play and wants away. We could have taken anything for him. I get that United are trying to create a new personna of being tough in the transfer market now but we should retain some sense of logic. Now we’re paying him to do nothing and he’s unhappy. It’s not good for either party.
Didn't know he wants out.. Stand corrected in that case.

GBBQ

What are his wages? I ve heard around 2 mil. per year. Why the hell would we keep a Gk that he can only play in Carabao Cup and pay him 2 mil?. We should have sold him for 2 mil. (i think that was the offer) plus not paying his wages which are certain expenses, so up to 4 millions.
2 mil is way too low for a player with his experience and 2 seasons left on his contract. I don’t blame United for sitting on the 8 mil valuation, even that is a steal for a potential first team goalkeeper for a PL level team.

Dve

I hope so. Which would mean united have back tracked from their summer stance
We´ll see how it turns out. If we can find a deal that benefits us more than loaning him out to a competitor, Woodward will deserve credit.

forevrared

Is Jones actually injured? Or have we just given up on him? He never seemed to be mentioned alongside Rojo and Smalling in the "summer", who were training apart from the club with a view to transfers. It's sort of bizarre that he's still on the books and just isn't anywhere near the squad.

led_scholes

2 mil is way too low for a player with his experience and 2 seasons left on his contract. I don’t blame United for sitting on the 8 mil valuation, even that is a steal for a potential first team goalkeeper for a PL level team.
Normally, I would agree, since I rate Romero especially for a backup. In other circumstances, for example if we didn't have Henderson or we had sent him again on a loan, i would definitely not sell him for such a low fee. However, since we don't plan to use him at all in an unstable financial environment, i dont see the point to pay him for sitting on the bench in a meaningless Carabao Cup game.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Is Jones actually injured? Or have we just given up on him? He never seemed to be mentioned alongside Rojo and Smalling in the "summer", who were training apart from the club with a view to transfers. It's sort of bizarre that he's still on the books and just isn't anywhere near the squad.
He had a knee operation in the summer.

GBBQ

Normally, I would agree, since I rate Romero especially for a backup. In other circumstances, for example if we didn't have Henderson or we had sent him again on a loan, i would definitely not sell him for such a low fee. However, since we don't plan to use him at all in an unstable financial environment, i dont see the point to pay him for sitting on the bench in a meaningless Carabao Cup game.
But this is the double edge of transfers. He’s not worth 8 mil to us but he is worth it to other teams. We probably know we can get some money for him even if he’s left out of the PL squad. We’ve gambled on the 2 mil to show we’re serious in the hope that some team with a keeper crisis will make a move in January. I think we’re right to do so.

VivaRonaldo85

I predict Jones to go out on loan to a lower half PL club in January with a view to then signing him permanent next summer. Like a West Ham, Burnley or Sheffield United for example.

I think Romero will be sold in January probably to some random foreign club or to the MLS.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
I can see your point, but agree to disagree since it's all assumption. There are cases where players never gonna heal. They just play with injuries and some had adapted to find form, sharpness quicker than others. If we could have heal Jones for all this time, we're not having this discussion right? We have other injury prone players too all these years.
Who would you have left out of the squad instead of Jones?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We´ll see how it turns out. If we can find a deal that benefits us more than loaning him out to a competitor, Woodward will deserve credit.
We should just release him. We’d be saving salary. Then grant can become 3rd keeper in case of emergency. MLS teams aren’t gonna spend 8m on a keeper so let’s keep it real.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Hard to see anyone wanting Jones, plus the chances of him injuring himself during any potential medical are astronomical.

Dve

We should just release him. We’d be saving salary. Then grant can become 3rd keeper in case of emergency. MLS teams aren’t gonna spend 8m on a keeper so let’s keep it real.
United would probably accept less. 4-5.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
United would probably accept less. 4-5.
Still not gonna get it. Why are we advocating greed for a 3rd choice that we got for free? I don’t get it. Either we want him off the books or we don’t and the fact he’s not registered for any squads suggests we want him off the books so give him the free transfer.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
MLS clubs also aren’t going to pay his salary either, so let’s keep it real and see no MLS club is going anywhere near him.

There isn’t a single credible link of him to any MLS club.

Born2Lose

At a time when so many are losing their livelihoods I frankly couldn't give a fruch about Jones and Romero sitting on their asses earning a £100k a week.

Was never as enamoured with Romero as some are on here, didn't think he had the ability to really push DDG in the way Henderson is.

It's amazing to me that Ole is making the tough decisions that Mourinho dodged.

OhGee

33 is definitely not old for a keeper and 8 mil wouldn’t buy you any other keeper of Romero’s pedigree so I think that price represents value. Just cos he’s not in our plans doesn’t mean he’s not a valuable asset, especially from the perspective of the buying club.
Here’s the thing, Everton we’re willing to pay us a 2 million loan fee as well as his wages for the term of the loan which is around 5-6 million. That amounts to nearly what our valuation of Romero is plus we would have the option of selling him at the end of the loan period. Can’t understand why the loan deal was not done especially if he’s not going to play for us this season.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really bizarre to hold onto players that we don't include in the PL squad. If we couldn't fit them, then just let them go for cheap or free if no one is wanting to buy them.

Now they are just costs, and can't even help us in emergency situations.

rollingstoned1

i'm pretty sure the bean counter that ed is he and by extension the club keep thinking that by extending these contracts they are protecting the transfer value of these squad players while also giving them leverage to negotiate a transfer fee with other clubs. in practise though this boomerangs on us because we have a non-contributing squad member who has to be paid more everytime they add a year onto his contract and make it prohibitive for any potential suitor to buy them. We end up paying more to keep them as a result. I don't believe that jones, rojo, lingard, etc are not PL quality but we won't get the fees we think we will/should for them, we need to take a leaf out of chelsea's book in this regard.

GBBQ

Here’s the thing, Everton we’re willing to pay us a 2 million loan fee as well as his wages for the term of the loan which is around 5-6 million. That amounts to nearly what our valuation of Romero is plus we would have the option of selling him at the end of the loan period. Can’t understand why the loan deal was not done especially if he’s not going to play for us this season.
The board had 2 options; allow the loan or hold tight and hope another club made a move (or Everton upped their offer). Using your figures then :

Sell in Summer 2020: 8 mil fee + 5 mil wages off books = 13 mil
Loan deal: 2 mil loan fee + 5 mil wages off books = 7 mil total

Bearing in mind the board know there are PL teams interested (Villa and Everton both mentioned) and in general 8 mil for a keeper is not excessive its not the worst idea in the world to hold out for a better offer. I don't see why we should do a favour to Everton because Romero is a 'good guy'.

If we were expecting 20 mil I'd balk at the price but if someone told you to go buy a keeper for 8 mil, you wouldn't find better than Romero for that kind of money.

dalriada

When there's a limit of 25 players, somebody usually ends up being left out unless there are enough "youth" players from the 'B' lists. Jones seems an obvious one to leave out as it looks as if he'll be out for some time and I think Ole doesn't want to use him anyway. Clubs can update their lists anyway in January, I believe that's regardless of any player movements in or out.

The situation with Romero is sad as it's not his fault, but the fact that Grant is on the UEFA and EPL lists suggests that he's not expected to play, or be around for long.

Interesting that although Rojo isn't on the UEFA list (Pellistri listed instead with the 25), he's on the EPL list and was training with the first team prior to the PSG match. Before he went out on loan, Ole hinted that he could see a role for him, although he seemed to have cup matches in mind. When he's fit and not hacking players down he can be a useful defender and has a good shot on him, so with the fixture congestion we have in the current circumstances, maybe we'll see him play again - there's no hint of a buyer this side of January.

Gasolin

Everton looked strong and we needed them to have a weakness and not give another club a chance to be top 3, top 4 or top 6, or whatever. Something like that apparently...

wolvored

Im sure I read the board have slapped £20 million transfer fee on Jones. It might have been the Sun or Mirror, shit papers I know, but I look at Newsnow for Utd as they have all the different media on there. If this is the case we are never going to shift him.

VivaRonaldo85

Im sure I read the board have slapped £20 million transfer fee on Jones. It might have been the Sun or Mirror, shit papers I know, but I look at Newsnow for Utd as they have all the different media on there. If this is the case we are never going to shift him.
I don’t suppose Inter Milan need another centre half........??!

Ekeke

During Jones best season 14/15

Mugging Aguero and bringing the ball out of defense as we beat City 3 - 1

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I liked Jones when he played as a full back. So reckless but great to see

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'd have rather we included Jones in the squad over Rojo to be honest as

A) He's a better player and B) we have more chance of flogging Rojo off to Argentina in the next week or so.

The fact that Romero is still even at the club is so weird.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I predict Jones to go out on loan to a lower half PL club in January with a view to then signing him permanent next summer. Like a West Ham, Burnley or Sheffield United for example.

I think Romero will be sold in January probably to some random foreign club or to the MLS.
people have been predicting that for years. Personally, it seems like he likes his contract and his life where he is and is no rush to take a pay cut to move away so is suspect he will be here for a few more years.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Disgraceful how we’re treating Romero. It’s embarrassing. feck the board for this

united for life

Johns does not deserve to be at the club till now. I hate to say it, but it’s true.

i feel for romero. Great goalkeeper, delivered whenever called upon, very professional. He’s unlucky henderson’s performances last year meant that we had to keep him (at the expense of romero). Gutted he didn’t leave during the transfer window