Phil Jones and Sergio Romero omitted from United's 25-man Premier League squad

Dve

I'd have rather we included Jones in the squad over Rojo to be honest as

A) He's a better player and B) we have more chance of flogging Rojo off to Argentina in the next week or so.

The fact that Romero is still even at the club is so weird.
I´d rather go for the one being fit and actually able to play. And there is always a chance to make adjustments to the squad when we get to the knock-out stages.

mattsville

Disgraceful how we’re treating Romero. It’s embarrassing. feck the board for this
It's a double edged sword, you have fans complaining how we get low fees for players, he is Argentina's national goalkeeper for the most part, sell him for 2m or 3m and people are rightly going ape shit how we don't get value when selling, that needs to change and has done to some degree it is also difficult times so clubs are trying to make an extra few million here and there and buying clubs don't have money hence the low ball bids, the reality is he has enough money to live about 5 of our lifetimes, he will be fine, remember the club helped released players during the lockdown financially and also let them continue to train.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I feel for Romero as he's been an excellent backup goalkeeper. We should have let him go in the summer. Plenty of decent clubs wanted him.

Jones should just end is contract and go and play in a division suited to his ability. Cant believe he's still at the club.

redmanx

I feel for Romero as he's been an excellent backup goalkeeper. We should have let him go in the summer. Plenty of decent clubs wanted him.

Jones should just end is contract and go and play in a division suited to his ability. Cant believe he's still at the club.
Jones has been disappointing but his injuries havent helped; how ever, he must know theres nothing for him at United now so, if he has any self esteem and pride surely he'd ask for a transfer and accept lower league football? The fact hes obviously happy to see out his his career in the reserves, when hes fit of course, is perhaps most disappointing of all.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Jones has been disappointing but his injuries havent helped; how ever, he must know theres nothing for him at United now so, if he has any self esteem and pride surely he'd ask for a transfer and accept lower league football? The fact hes obviously happy to see out his his career in the reserves, when hes fit of course, is perhaps most disappointing of all.
What will annoy me even more is if I see him in a few years time as an MUTV presenter! haha

Dve

When he gets fit again, he won´t be playing in a lower league, just as little as Young or Smalling would be playing in a lower league. Not being good enough for United, does not mean that the Championship is next. I think he would have plenty of options outside of England.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'd have rather we included Jones in the squad over Rojo to be honest as

A) He's a better player and B) we have more chance of flogging Rojo off to Argentina in the next week or so.
A) is debatable. When they are playing well they are about the same level, but Jones tends to have more mistakes and poor games. That was the case a few years ago anyway, obviously we've barely seen Rojo the last three years so nobody knows what he's like now.

Anyway, I presume we can change who is in the squad after the January window, so if Jones is going to be injured for the next month or two it makes perfect sense to have Rojo (who is available) than Jones (who won't be available for most of it).

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Both of these guys are good players full internationals. If they're fit and can accept reasonable wages they'll have plenty of offers. The absolute writing off of Jones ability is pretty laughable. His injury issues are obviously a big problem but if he can get himself fit, he's a decent centre half. I feel most posters discuss the idea of Phil Jones, the meme of him rather than the actual player. We like nothing better in here than a good old fashioned character assassination.

K Stand Knut

who???

id guess nobody really did or they’d have made bid.

my other guess is the club’s are baulking at his wages and don’t want to pay them. Unuted have presumably budgeted for his wages so just see it as an opportunity cost to keep him rather than accept a derisory offer for him, which we can debate is right or wrong but it’s nothing to do with us.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The problem is that we keep changing manager, and each new manager allows him to play enough games while he's fit that he remains happy. By the time the manager has seen enough (either of Jones' mistakes or him just not being available due to injury) he gets fired and we bring in a new manager who makes the same mistake. Jones then gets enough games again to keep him happy and I can't blame him for that. If it becomes obvious that he's not going to play at all (which looks likely to happen this season) and he still shows no sign of wanting to leave I'll be a bit disappointed in him though.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
who???

id guess nobody really did or they’d have made bid.

my other guess is the club’s are baulking at his wages and don’t want to pay them. Unuted have presumably budgeted for his wages so just see it as an opportunity cost to keep him rather than accept a derisory offer for him, which we can debate is right or wrong but it’s nothing to do with us.
Chelsea, Villa, Everton if I remember.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That can't be true. Imagine getting paid full time for doing quarter of the work.
Takes some digging and time to figure that out. He's played 42% of the minutes in the Premier League with us. According to transfermarkt he's missed out on 123 games that are definitely because of injuries. Nothing from last season but you can add the 37 matches he wasn't in the squad to a total of 150 matches plus the 8 games this season which make it 158 matches. A decent cup run and Europe run is 55 games or more so it's about 3 full seasons at least that he's lost due to injury so more than 1/3 of his 8+ seasons.

Stretender

I am sure Phil Jones posts on here. My message to Phil, get out and sort yourselves out.

We have given you enough money to just sit on your back side. Move on it's not a charity.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
When he gets fit again, he won´t be playing in a lower league, just as little as Young or Smalling would be playing in a lower league. Not being good enough for United, does not mean that the Championship is next. I think he would have plenty of options outside of England.
I doubt that any team in the EPL or in EU would pay him any wages. They might take him on a pay as you play basis.
Only Matt Judge is dumb enough to offer him wages for not playing. Woodward probably thinks himself as a genius for extending the contract of player who is almost always injured.

MAME DIOUF 32

Romero obviously should have been allowed to go and get on with his career elsewhere and the club should be thoroughly ashamed for not facilitating that after what he's offered.

Was there really no space for Jones in the 25 or is this purely about telling him he's not wanted?

Red00012

He’s getting wages he’ll get nowhere else for doing nothing , he’s going nowhere