Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is probably a nice honest guy who should consider leaving the club to get a fresh start. As far as his future at the club, let's just hope he has none. There is no shame in that, just move him on as he is too unlucky or perhaps dumb regarding injuries to his body. It happens, but he is a decent player at PL level and someone should gamble on him even for just a few games each season. I would say someone like Everton even could have some use for him.

15m for the world class potential please

Water Melon

The promised superior-to-Duncan Edwards turned out to be more injury prone than Owen Harg. for us. Shame really. The renewal of his contract turned out to be a risk that did not pay off at all.

SweetRightFoot

I'm not sure about his footballing future but I know that when he dies they'll take his potatoe-shaped skull and put it in a museum with the title 'The Last Neanderthal'.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was better at 19 years old. Not sure what happened to him, probably the security of being an English lad at United saved him for many years.

He should have been gone before he signed the last contract really.

hmchan

There are not many people who still think that way. Most people only think that he has potential to be a very good quality defender when he was young and can become a very good defender if injury doesn't stall his development. Positioning & awareness are not attribute you can achieve & improve through talent, they are attribute related through learning process & experience so it's not really hypothetical.
Yes, you can achieve and improve positioning and awareness from experience, but this doesn't always happen and necessarily apply to everyone. Some players just don't learn from experience and they keep making similar mistakes throughout their career. It's a bold assumption to think Jones would have improved if he were playing more games. History tells us there're many more failed wonderkids than those who actually fulfill their potential.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes, you can achieve and improve positioning and awareness from experience, but this doesn't always happen and necessarily apply to everyone. Some players just don't learn from experience and they keep making similar mistakes throughout their career. It's a bold assumption to think Jones would have improved if he were playing more games. History tells us there're many more failed wonderkids than those who actually fulfill their potential.
It's easy to say there are many wonderkids who couldn't fulfill their potential but you are ignoring that we are talking about "positioning" & "awareness" as a defender. Those wonderkids you mentioned failed in many different factors which injury is also part of in the category. How can a talented players learn from experience and not making the same mistake if they can't even get the game time in the first place.

hmchan

I'm surprised someone like Burnley hasn't come in for him, they love a bargain.
With Tarkowski and Mee so reliable and consistent at the back, there's no reason to pay a high wage bill for an injury prone backup player.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I've seen a few posts about how him being so versatile kinda stalled his development. That might be true and on top of that you can add injuries.
But really though even if his development was 'stalled' He still had plenty of time to develop himself. And to be a 28 years old who still panics for no reason, as a Center Back is quite something. That's just Phil Jones the player I feel like and We already know how his peak is going to look like, still with mistakes, still with funny faces. Adding 2 more years won't turn him into Maldini.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I've seen a few posts about how him being so versatile kinda stalled his development. That might be true and on top of that you can add injuries.
But really though even if his development was 'stalled' He still had plenty of time to develop himself. And to be a 28 years old who still panics for no reason, as a Center Back is quite something. That's just Phil Jones the player I feel like and We already know how his peak is going to look like, still with mistakes, still with funny faces. Adding 2 more years won't turn him into Maldini.
He's not good enough. He's not versatile enough. He only got games because he's English, young back then and deemed to have a high potential.

It all backfired. Jones should be a clear case of going for youth can actually be more expensive in the long run and bites us in the arse. If only we had a solid cb instead of jones who knows how many titles we can get during that close run in with city on goal differences

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He should probably retire for his own good.

Can't imagine it being healthy for him in the long run to keep getting injured despite barely playing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I doubt he'll ever leave. He's a 28 year old injury prone defender on a long term contract and a ridiculous salary.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He'll be 31 when his contract runs out. I imagine he'd be happy to stay until it does or do what Smalling has done and go out on loan somewhere. He's probably not going to get the same contract he has at United anywhere else even though it would probably make sense from a non-money point of view to move. I think of Cleverley as an example. Left to us and then to Watford but do you hear people talking about him anymore? Not really. Once you leave United people slowly stop talking about you. Until he leaves he will still be in the headlines and trending on twitter for the wrong reasons. Also Cleverley has always seemed a bit happier since leaving. None of us know the mentality of the man though so it's all speculation of course.

Can7onA

He plays like someone who's brain hasn't adjusted to physical regression caused by injuries. He sprints back at a pace beyond which he can control himself.
I've said this before!

He always looks like he's going to fall over when he runs, like he's a baby calf, get up runs, realises he can't stop and fall in a heap.

Andersonson

Do you watch United regularly? The guy is a 1-2 big mistake per game. Even some of his injuries are down to him over committing himself. As said he is like a 17 year old stuck in an injury ravaged body of a 28 year old. It's sad
Both he and Bailly are prone to both. Bailly is maybe worth more due to age, hence why I Said he should be sold first. Theese are back up players. 4th choice. Nothing wrong with having Jones as a backup player.

edgecutter

First of all, it isn't Jones's fault that he is still here, we were all flabbergasted that he managed to get a new contract and worst of all an increase to his wages. It's the club's fault and if I was Jones, I would see out every single day of it.

devilish

Both he and Bailly are prone to both. Bailly is maybe worth more due to age, hence why I Said he should be sold first. Theese are back up players. 4th choice. Nothing wrong with having Jones as a backup player.
I say sell them both. There's no point in keeping injury prone players especially some one like Jones who's crap

devilish

Then we need to buy more defenders again. We do not have unlimited amounts of cash.
Do we?

We've got Maguire, Smalling, Lindelof and Tuanzebe + Teden Mengi coming up from the ranks. But even if that isn't good enough and we do need to buy so what? What's the point in keeping 2 CBs who are barely ever available? What's the point in keeping Jones whose crap whenever he plays? We might sell them both and buy a CB on the cheap.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Backup players need to be available when we need to use them. They need to be able to step in when our first choice are injured or suspended. The fact that Jones is regularly injured at the times where we've needed him is what is wrong with having him as a backup player.

MAME DIOUF 32

It's sad, really. Whatever went wrong it can't be effort. He's always committed, seems to come back in shape no matter how long he's been out. In an alternate timeline he and Maguire are a 21st century Bruce and Pallister.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's not good enough. He's not versatile enough. He only got games because he's English, young back then and deemed to have a high potential.

It all backfired. Jones should be a clear case of going for youth can actually be more expensive in the long run and bites us in the arse. If only we had a solid cb instead of jones who knows how many titles we can get during that close run in with city on goal differences
Yes. It's becoming clear after a while that He's simply not good enough. Strong, quick but always shits himself. Not a top CB material. But to be fair I kinda held a lot of expectation for him. When He started at Utd, He could play CB, RB, DMF equally well. Didn't shy away to carry the ball forward as well. I thought We've got ourselves a very talented, intelligent footballer, a bit like Rio Ferdinand but nope. And the funny thing is when He started making mistakes, He started making faces too.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's sad, really. Whatever went wrong it can't be effort. He's always committed, seems to come back in shape no matter how long he's been out. In an alternate timeline he and Maguire are a 21st century Bruce and Pallister.
Exactly this. The lad had so much potential, it’s such a shame. Can’t believe he’s 28. When he, Smalling, and Evans came through we looked set for 10-15 years. Couldn’t have turned out more differently.

Paul_Scholes18

Exactly this. The lad had so much potential, it’s such a shame. Can’t believe he’s 28. When he, Smalling, and Evans came through we looked set for 10-15 years. Couldn’t have turned out more differently.
Had SAF stayed then I am sure they would all have been world class defenders. Even with injuries.

King Andow

Contract expires:30.06.2023
Contract option:Option for a further year
Date of last contract extension:Feb 8, 2019

£75,000 every week. Amazing.

Morpheus 7

United will struggle to get takers for Jones. Ability aside, nobody wants a player that can't get a run at the back without being injured.

hmchan

It's easy to say there are many wonderkids who couldn't fulfill their potential but you are ignoring that we are talking about "positioning" & "awareness" as a defender. Those wonderkids you mentioned failed in many different factors which injury is also part of in the category. How can a talented players learn from experience and not making the same mistake if they can't even get the game time in the first place.
David Luiz has played so many games over the years, yet his positioning and awareness are still terrible. Injury has stalled Jones' development for sure, but it's also hypothetical to assume he could fulfill his potential if he stays injury free.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
David Luiz has played so many games over the years, yet his positioning and awareness are still terrible. Injury has stalled Jones' development for sure, but it's also hypothetical to assume he could fulfill his potential if he stays injury free.
One player is known as poor defensively since he was young, while the other was called talented due to his defensive aspect. You might want to use different comparison. I never say every centre back will have the same way in their learning process, if that's always the case then Titus Bramble will be in the same category.

Talent speaks as well. Jones was known to be talented not because of his ball playing skills like Luiz but because of his defensive aspect.

roseguy64

One player is known as poor defensively since he was young, while the other was called talented due to his defensive aspect. You might want to use different comparison. I never say every centre back will have the same way in their learning process, if that's always the case then Titus Bramble will be in the same category.

Talent speaks as well. Jones was known to be talented not because of his ball playing skills like Luiz but because of his defensive aspect.
Also, Luiz was a midfielder who started playing in a 3 at the back for tactical reasons.