Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Nah it's just common sense. His last game was January 2020. In the past 12 months Utd have comfortably (results wise) been in the top 2 of English football. We dont miss this guy whatsoever.

Premier league appearances

SeasonClubApps (Subs)GoalsMore
2020/2021Manchester United0 (0)0
2019/2020Manchester United2 (0)0
Cool. I'll give you another chance to find the point. When you're ready, come back to me, and we'll give it another go. K?

onemanarmy

Imagine being a full England international, playing for the biggest club in the world and then... getting injured and never properly recover. I know, money solves a lot in life. But he must be absolutely devastated. It's really depressing if you think about it.

SER19

A likeable guy who I really do think had massive talent and a captains attitude but both were ruined by injury which affected his development and the consequent loss of confidence and standing in the squad. 29 next month and time to move him on, unquestionably. Would hope for the best for him

EkkoFisk7

It's like leasing an old Fiat and expecting it to work like 2021 Bugatti Chiron. That check under the bonnet isn't occasional but regular. In fact you need to say your prayers every time before starting the engine because chances are it'll break down when you least expect it. At a certain point you realise the Fiat is way more trouble than it's worth.

I'm not saying we have to terminate his contract, just that I don't see any value in keeping him. He played 1200 minutes (13 full games) for a title winning team 8 years ago. 720 of those minutes came in the final 8 games where the title was already done and dusted. He was pretty much a fringe player for most of that campaign. You're overselling him as if he was peak Rio/Vidic with wealth of experience and a winner's mentality. Realistically what can the youngsters even learn from him that they can't from the likes of DDG, Matic, Mata, Cavani? If anything I'd rather they learn from Maguire who makes himself available for every single game and even plays through the pain barrier if he has to than a player who is the polar opposite.

Pretty sad that there's a player on 75k per week on our books and the best use we can come up with is that he might be able to pass on some experience to younger players.
I'd take Toyota Corolla by now...

davidmichael

Phil Jones’ future is for his and Daniel Sturridge’s bodies to be donated to medical science to see just how two professional athletes manage to spend the majority of their career injured.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s reached Anderson levels of absence yet presence at the same time. Anderson was still here in 2015! I think we’ll look back in a few years and say wow, Jones was still on the books as late as 2021.

red4ever 79

Cool. I'll give you another chance to find the point. When you're ready, come back to me, and we'll give it another go. K?
You wrote ' We lose a bit of experience in the squad ' My point is he is never in the squad. So how can we lose something we never had.

ivaldo

You wrote ' We lose a bit of experience in the squad ' My point is he is never in the squad. So how can we lose something we never had.
He was in the squad and he will more than likely return to the squad within the next two years. What's more, you posted a screen shot of appearances, as if the only way an experienced, premier league winner could possibly help the team is by playing. It's really not all that difficult, is it?

red4ever 79

He was in the squad and he will more than likely return to the squad within the next two years. What's more, you posted a screen shot of appearances, as if the only way an experienced, premier league winner could possibly help the team is by playing. It's really not all that difficult, is it?
He hasnt been in the squad in 12 months. That has coincided with the team performing to the standard of the 2nd best in the Premier league during the past 12 months. I have to laugh. I am sorry its not personal. This is Phil fecking Jones, an abomination of medical science.

ivaldo

He hasnt been in the squad in 12 months. That has coincided with the team performing to the standard of the 2nd best in the Premier league during the past 12 months. I have to laugh. I am sorry its not personal. This is Phil fecking Jones, an abomination of medical science.
So it was Phil Jones who was holding us back all along! What a discovery, what logic!

red4ever 79

So it was Phil Jones who was holding us back all along! What a discovery, what logic!
You said his experience adds to the squad. The previous 12 months have shown he isn't missed in the slightest
The only people happy he is still at the club are the medical team so they dont get furloughed.

ivaldo

You said his experience adds to the squad. The previous 12 months have shown he isn't missed in the slightest
The only people happy he is still at the club are the medical team so they dont get furloughed.
Yes. Much like Carrick's experience helps the squad. But I suppose you'll debunk that too by posting a picture of how little he has played in the last 2 years...

Superb correlation there. Phil Jones has absolutely nothing to offer because we've improved over the last 12 months. Never mind the signing of Bruno, it's the absence of Jones what's dun it. That's the correlation.

By the way, I've got a rock that keepers tigers away. Wanna buy it?

OleBoiii

His football story is just tragic. Predicted to become the next world class CB or DM, only to have his career ruined by injuries. Since he's a fighter and a dreamer he never loses hope and through some miracle no United manager sells him either. Fast forward a whole lot of years and he's suddenly been in the United first team squad for more than 10 years. This would under normal circumstances more or less make him a legend, but he's hardly played or done anything noteworthy. In complete embarrassment he asks to not get a testimonial match, despite being fully entitled to it. All the while getting abuse online, obviously.

The final nail in the coffin would be if we finally won the PL or CL in the post Fergie era, only for him to not even qualify for a medal because of lack of playtime. You can't do anything but feel sorry for him. His heart has always been in the right place and it's not his fault that he's not been kicked out yet. Most players in his shoes would have done exactly the same thing.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Much like Carrick's experience helps the squad.
Carrick won multiple big titles for United as an important part of the team.

You can't say that about Phil Jones. He's experienced, but he's basically done feck all as a United player. Which is sad - but also true.

Precisely what he offers in the dressing room is not for me to say - of course. Perhaps he's a fantastic influence. Perhaps he's just that fecker who's always injured. We don't know, do we? But having been around the place for ages doesn't automatically make him an asset.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He should just change role and be a counsellor for any of our players who gets a long term injury.

He can just give them a pep talk and tell them that their injury can't possibly last as long as his and they'll be up and raring to get started on their comeback.

ivaldo

Carrick won multiple big titles for United as an important part of the team.

You can't say that about Phil Jones. He's experienced, but he's basically done feck all as a United player. Which is sad - but also true.

Precisely what he offers in the dressing room is not for me to say - of course. Perhaps he's a fantastic influence. Perhaps he's just that fecker who's always injured. We don't know, do we? But having been around the place for ages doesn't automatically make him an asset.
Course he did. But this guy's point is the only way Jones can be an asset is for him to have played games in the last 12 months. His experience doesn't automatically make him an asset, no, but being Phil Jones doesn't automatically make him utterly pointless either. He has played under Ferguson, he has won the Premier League and played for his country. Both Fergie and Kean considered him a future captain for both club and country. It would be quite strange if he had absolutely nothing to offer the other players in the squad. And that's what he'd have to offer to make paying up the last two years of contract now. That's what's being discussed. If we could get some money for him or if he was happy to be let go for free to seek football elsewhere, then thats a different story altogether and is worth discussing.

MoskvaRed

I think his honourable options are to take a wage cut to join a lesser club (lower PL/decent Championship) or retire on the basis his body is not up to it. If he stays at United past the summer, then he’s clearly taking the piss. He cannot seriously be deluded enough to think he has a viable playing future at United.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Both Fergie and Kean considered him a future captain for both club and country.
Yep - but that didn't work out.

He was a very promising player - but he never developed in the way Fergie (and Keane, no doubt) imagined he would. Let's blame that on injuries - if we want to.

Doesn't really matter - fact is that he's a disposable player these days (much like Rojo - who was, well, disposed of after having been at United for a long time without impressing anyone).

red4ever 79

Yes. Much like Carrick's experience helps the squad. But I suppose you'll debunk that too by posting a picture of how little he has played in the last 2 years...

Superb correlation there. Phil Jones has absolutely nothing to offer because we've improved over the last 12 months. Never mind the signing of Bruno, it's the absence of Jones what's dun it. That's the correlation.

By the way, I've got a rock that keepers tigers away. Wanna buy it?
I'm struggling to think if you are normal at the moment. I hope you get the help that you need.

ivaldo

Yep - but that didn't work out.

He was a very promising player - but he never developed in the way Fergie (and Keane, no doubt) imagined he would. Let's blame that on injuries - if we want to.

Doesn't really matter - fact is that he's a disposable player these days (much like Rojo - who was, well, disposed of after having been at United for a long time without impressing anyone).
That doesn't mean Fergie and Kean (yes Kean) were wrong to think he had abilities beyond his defending that made him suitable for those roles.

Just to reaffirm my position on this, Im not suggesting for a moment that we shouldn't jump at the opportunity to move him on if we get the opportunity; I'm saying it's stupid to just pay off the rest of his contract now - in full, as has been suggested.

ivaldo

I'm struggling to think if you are normal at the moment. I hope you get the help that you need.
Struggling to think? Hmm...

It doesn't surprise me that you didn't understand the reference. It does surprise me you didn't have the good sense to at least Google it. On second thought, it seems about right.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm saying it's stupid to just pay off the rest of his contract now - in full, as has been suggested.
I agree with that - of course.

But that won't happen. A deal of some sort will be made if he can manage to stay fit.

He isn't on insane money (according to most reports). Big money (for most clubs) - but not insane: his reported p/w salary is around 80k.

That would be around Lingard's level for comparison.

Eire Red United

An absolute disgrace that this lad is still a professional footballer and can’t keep fit for more than 5 minutes. Should have been moved on years agp

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
it’s a shame but surely retirement has to be near. I think if he could’ve avoided injuries he would’ve been a fantastic player. Excellent in his first season.

markhughes

Crazy to think he is still just 29. I know he has made millions from football but there is more to life than money and imagine he is gutted with how things have turned out.

Say what you want about Phil but he has kept at it when others might have thrown in the towel, I don’t doubt his commitment one little bit, he body just isn’t up to it.

Hopefully he chooses to retire after Utd and can focus on his health and well-being, it seems to be the best option at this point in time.

Smores

it’s a shame but surely retirement has to be near. I think if he could’ve avoided injuries he would’ve been a fantastic player. Excellent in his first season.
He was outstanding for Blackburn. I went to quite a few Blackburn games this season before we signed him and he really did look like a star in the making.

I find it odd that anyone doesn't just feel sorry for him. We're not a charity and we shouldn't have extended his contract but you can't blame him for taking it.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was outstanding for Blackburn. I went to quite a few Blackburn games this season before we signed him and he really did look like a star in the making.

I find it odd that anyone doesn't just feel sorry for him. We're not a charity and we shouldn't have extended his contract but you can't blame him for taking it.
I remember the first description I heard of him “John Terry’s physicality & Rio Ferdinand’s feet” he really looked like he was gonna be special..

I remember him going on an unbelievable run early in his first season. Think he hit the post can’t remember, he definitely didn’t score, but he ran the entire length of the pitch & nearly scored.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I remember the first description I heard of him “John Terry’s physicality & Rio Ferdinand’s feet” he really looked like he was gonna be special..

I remember him going on an unbelievable run early in his first season. Think he hit the post can’t remember, he definitely didn’t score, but he ran the entire length of the pitch & nearly scored.
He was everything we're now looking for in a centre back - good in the air, strong, good on the ball (both passing and dribbling), decent pace too.

Could play DM and RB too.

What the feck happened.

RUCK4444

We’ve basically sponsored his life.

We could have sponsored thousands of those donkeys you see on the charity adverts, instead we chose a single donkey from Preston...

pascell

I think he'll move on in summer, the only reason he didn't last summer was the knee op he needed and has had since.

A team that'll offer a less rigorous training regime might help kick start his career again. Maybe somewhere like Brighton if they sell Ben White.

AFC NimbleThumb

We could have sponsored thousands of those donkeys you see on the charity adverts, instead we chose a single donkey from Preston...
Honours

Premier League: 2012-13
FA Cup: 2015-16
UEFA Europa League: 2016-17

A few Community Shields in there as well.

The mans done more for the club than anyone of us sat behind our laptops/phones but yea his whole life is a sham. . .

Did he turn into the Duncan Edwards we were all led to believe he would? No but I doubt he’s wanted to be injured as much as he has been & the club hierarchy chose to pay the man.

A fitter, younger Jones sh*ya on our current CBs & has actually done something of note for the club at some point, a little respect for him wouldn’t go amiss.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I think his honourable options are to take a wage cut to join a lesser club (lower PL/decent Championship) or retire on the basis his body is not up to it. If he stays at United past the summer, then he’s clearly taking the piss. He cannot seriously be deluded enough to think he has a viable playing future at United.
What’s honour got to do with it? He has his own future to look after and should milk his contract for every penny it is worth.

Red00012

We had a poster not so long ago wanting to sponsor Ravel :D