Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

dove

Definition of stealing a living. He is so lucky he is at the club that is simply unable to let useless players go otherwise he would be playing in League 2 or most likely be unemployed.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Except he wasn't very good during the years when he was fit.
He was a very good player for United for a couple of seasons, albeit about 4 or 5 years ago, but injuries have completely ruined his career.
Realistically, all I can see in the future for him is a loan to a championship, or possibly a newly promoted premier team, with a view to a permanent deal if he can prove his fitness.

MacarisSocks

Wouldn't surprise me if Ole has him up and running soon. He obviously likes him and believes he can still play a part for us. Maybe SAF is behind some of it. We'll see. Fact is he's still only 28.
I still have nightmare flashbacks of shouting Nooooooo!!! while watching Jones bearing down on Eden Hazard.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
People say it must be mentally draining etc but I'd fecking love his life. Gym sesh in the morning, maybe a kickabout, finish work by 1, zero expectations on me, pick up £100k a week.

The dream.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Phil Jones is walking without a support boot and crutches

More bothered about H's apparatus or lack thereof.

As for Phil, I wonder if he and the club are actively looking for a move or are all parties happy to have him hang around until his contract ends?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
People say it must be mentally draining etc but I'd fecking love his life. Gym sesh in the morning, maybe a kickabout, finish work by 1, zero expectations on me, pick up £100k a week.

The dream.
It’s a nice life but we all end up comparing ourselves with our peers. So I’d say it’s pretty brutal seeing his team-mates all enjoying proper careers while he’s a figure of fun.

clarkydaz

Maybe in the future the logic behind this infamous Phil Jones contract will be revealed. Who actually thought this would be a good idea and the warped reasoning behind it

Canucantona20

The dream.
Definitely the dream for us but I bet Phil wants to get back playing regularly. At some point rehabilitation takes a toll on you mentally

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Whole season missed.
Last season 8 appearances.
2 years left on his deal.

I smell a renewal soon.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

The dream.
Very easy to say.
But having your fitness taken away is a devastating blow. I've had spells of that just as an amateur sport guy, and that's dreadful.
So to have it taken away when it's your life, your job, your identity, even for a lot of money won't feel how you describe it.

It'd be like some 3rd world guy saying Shane88 has a "dream" lifestyle with your roof over your head, and regular (presumably) job, and food on the table. Totally ignorant to any hardships you face.

RedDevilzFox

I doubt it gnaws away at him now as much as maybe it did a few years back. I imagine he’s coping ok now, it’s his way of life.
Yeah I doubt he is bothered much. By all accounts he seems to be content to stay where he is and pickup the cheque. I have seen 2nd and 3rd string GKs show more ambition than him.

RedDevilzFox

And how do you know? Do you have even a shred of evidence that he’s content being out injured as long as he has? Because it’s a hell of a claim.
Yes of course. I know Woodward personally and he told me.

No one here has shred of evidence most of the time. The fact that he's been here like a decade and rarely plays and there has been no attempt on his part to maybe look for a change of scenery, leads me to believe he is fairly content. I don't blame him for collecting the paycheque, that's on us for being morons.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes of course. I know Woodward personally and he told me.

No one here has shred of evidence most of the time. The fact that he's been here like a decade and rarely plays and there has been no attempt on his part to maybe look for a change of scenery, leads me to believe he is fairly content.
Why would he look for a change of scenery? When he’s fit to play he’s usually been getting picked. Why would leaving United to a lesser club get him playing more football? It certainly wouldn’t make him any less injured.

Gandalf

Fairly sure he will be here next season as it is very unlikely that any team will take a chance on him after his injury struggles of the last 2 years. Our best hope is that next year he gets some game time to prove his fitness and then maybe the January window we might see some interest from a club in the bottom third of the table who need an experienced defender to bolster their relegation fight. For all of the disrespect he gets here he is still better than a lot of other PL defenders when he is fit, not the level we need but certainly not incompetent.

RedDevilzFox

Why would he look for a change of scenery? When he’s fit to play he’s usually been getting picked. Why would leaving United to a lesser club get him playing more football? It certainly wouldn’t make him any less injured.
Because sometimes when things aren't working out for whatever reason, players look for a change. Not just players, people do too. See Jesse and Smalling for example and they were actually playing.

Even when he is fit, he doesn't automatically start. He plays in some FA cup or League cup stuff and gets out injured right away.

dove

Can't wait for his testimonial. What a legend. Can bet he will go off the pitch injured in that one as well.

Paul_Scholes18

Yeah if I played for United I would not really want to leave. We are a huge club fighting at the top. I guess Jones is no fan like we are, but he may still enjoy playing for a club fighting for trophies.

Revan

Assumptionman
It’s a nice life but we all end up comparing ourselves with our peers. So I’d say it’s pretty brutal seeing his team-mates all enjoying proper careers while he’s a figure of fun.
To be fair, he had a proper career. Played many games for us, played for England, and has earned probably more than 20m (after taxes) in his career.

He has essentially been retired for the last few years while taking a few millions per year. Not a bad life.

RedDevilzFox

To be fair, he had a proper career. Played many games for us, played for England, and has earned probably more than 20m (after taxes) in his career.

He has essentially been retired for the last few years while taking a few millions per year. Not a bad life.
Exactly, I don't blame him for taking the easy life. That's on us. But I would not call 200 odd appearances in 10 years a "proper" career.

But players with ambition look for a change when things aren't working out. Clearly he is content to be where he is.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I did once wonder with his injuries whether we may get a season where he missed every single game, here we are :rolleyes:

youngrell

Exactly, I don't blame him for taking the easy life. That's on us. But I would not call 200 odd appearances in 10 years a "proper" career.

But players with ambition look for a change when things aren't working out. Clearly he is content to be where he is.
How do you propose he makes a change whilst injured? He won’t pass a medical for a start, never mind convince another team to pay a fee for him while he can’t play.