Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

AR87

Jones and Smalling are simply devoid of the requisite talent on the ball to be CBs for Manchester United. Smalling at least brings a physical element defensively that makes him useful as a squad player, particularly against opposition that play more direct with a physical presence. Jones doesn't even provide that.

Sure, he'll have 2-3 match stretches where you can see why he was rated so highly as a young player, but then he'll do something braindead or get hurt for an extended period. He also no longer provides any pressure relieg by carrying the ball out from the back, something he was renowned for when he first popped up on the scene at Blackburn.

If we can get rid this summer I'd be very pleased to do so.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Why the feck did we give him a new contract :houllier:
To save money.
If we let him go for free and signed another CB, we'd need to pay at least £30M.
With Jones, we don't have to pay £30M+.

With Woodward, for the last 18 months, every single move he has made in the transfer market and renewing player contracts, has been to save money. As long as he can save money, he doesn't care if our season is a write-off. Trophies are usually get handed out in around May. Our trophy is handed to us on the day that the financial results are announced. And believe it or not, we are actually the reigning champions of the league - we have the highest revenue of any club in the league.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
To save money.
If we let him go for free and signed another CB, we'd need to pay at least £30M.

With Woodward, for the last 18 months, every single move he has made in the transfer market and renewing player contracts, has been to save money. As long as he can save money, he doesn't care if our season is a write-off. Trophies are usually get handed out in around May. Our trophy is handed to us on the day that the financial results are announced. And believe it or not, we are actually the reigning champions of the league - we have the highest revenue of any club in the league.
Except we will be doing so this summer and we have Tuanzebe too

steakpie

Don't worry, we just gave him a new contract so we can cash in £15m on his this summer, right? :nervous:

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Did Jones ever have a full season with United? Like playing regularly a la Vidic/Rio? Let's hope a PL club takes him this summer..

dove

What on earth is going on here? Can someone just shoot these pr!cks. Should be embarrassed by the season and hiding in shame. Not posting your new haircut/style on fecking Twitter.
I think you should be aiming this anger at the board, not the players. Players like Jones, Young and Lingard should be nowhere near our club but it's hardly their fault our club keep offering them new contracts and the manager sees them as indispensable members of the squad. These players feel like they won a lottery because at any other club calling themselves as "biggest club in the world" they would have been long gone.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
I think you should be aiming this anger at the board, not the players. Players like Jones, Young and Lingard should be nowhere near our club but it's hardly their fault our club keep offering them new contracts and the manager sees them as indispensable members of the squad. These players feel like they won a lottery because at any other club calling themselves as "biggest club in the world" they would have been long gone.
You think the board renewed their contracts without consulting the manager? I think Ole is keeping such players in the mold of O'Shea, Brown (later years) etc.. they will never be good enough but having big players in the squad overshadows their weaknesses (like we had when Rio/Vidic/Evra were in the squad)

dove

You think the board renewed their contracts without consulting the manager? I think Ole is keeping such players in the mold of O'Shea, Brown (later years) etc.. they will never be good enough but having big players in the squad overshadows their weaknesses (like we had when Rio/Vidic/Evra were in the squad)
I know, I just didn't want to start a war in this thread about Ole as I know some people here get very hurt when you say anything negative about him. I personally think he is clueless and should have been sacked at the end of the season, talks nice but does completely opposite which is going to end only 1 way. And of course he had a say in offering Jones/Young new contracts.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
To save money.

So Woodward signed Sanchez for insane money in order to save money?

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
What on earth is going on here? Can someone just shoot these pr!cks. Should be embarrassed by the season and hiding in shame. Not posting your new haircut/style on fecking Twitter.
Bloody hell. What a thing to get worked up over.

It's not like he is posting it himself, it's the barber posting it for advertising purposes.

Steven-UK

To save money.
Unfortunately, that is 100% correct.

Although, that is similar to still owning an iPhone 5, that still works, but cannot be updated to latest apps. It saves you buying a new phone, but is severely limited in most aspects of it's functionality.

We have now become the Huawei of the footballing world, but unlike Huawei we are intentionally debilitating ourselves as a progressive football club.

TRUERED89

I know, I just didn't want to start a war in this thread about Ole as I know some people here get very hurt when you say anything negative about him. I personally think he is clueless and should have been sacked at the end of the season, talks nice but does completely opposite which is going to end only 1 way. And of course he had a say in offering Jones/Young new contracts.
He may well end up being clueless, but it sounds like everyone genuinely wants him to fail. I for one am desperate to see him succeed and am willing to let him have at least a season unless it really goes wrong at the start of 19/20. I hope we have a decent summer window. Our previous 3 managers haven't been likeable characters at all. Moyes was intimidated and clueless and the 2 successors were narcissists and stubborn b@st@rds. Who did not have the clubs best interests in mind. Both wanted quick fixes and aided in the shite recruitment that we're suffering for now.

BlueHaze

Does anyone have a stat on how many own goals he have scored?

Last edited by a moderator:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We have now become the Huawei of the footballing world, but unlike Huawei we are intentionally debilitating ourselves as a progressive football club.
Yeah, we are a threat to democracy and should be banned in the US. No more adwords from google either. Also it's shocking how we use our company to spy on citizens of.. wait no.

Allas8

Just for the record, Phil Jones record this season when starting in Premier League is:

9 Wins
3 Draws
3 Loses

For a total of 15 starter. 12 after Solskjaer came inn. Can this nonsense hate of our own players stop? Phil Jones brings continuity as he can remember when SAF was manager at the club, and knows what the demands are for our players. For all this talk about leaders in the dressing room, when players are being told to get fitter, who do you think is going to back the manager, its the old players that been here before and know what is being demanded, and the young players having been brought up through the academy. We need Jones and Young's experience when we start our rebuilding project, they might not be our best players, but they are our amongst our hardest working players willing to bleed for the jersey.

Steven-UK

No, it makes no sense at all.
OK, I'll bite, so allow me to spell it out for you.

1) A company (Huawei) has been affected by a third party as to their detrimental position (putting unfounded rumours aside).

2) We, United (as a company also) are affecting ourselves with our own decision making - hence the reference to the analogy, and in reflection of the Jones contract whereby we stick with the easy option of saving money, instead of progressing the team.

In layman's terms: Deliberating shooting ourselves in the foot.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

1) A company (Huawei) has been affected by a third party as to their detrimental position (putting unfounded rumours aside).

2) We, United (as a company also) are affecting ourselves with our own decision making - hence the reference to the analogy, and in reflection of the Jones contract whereby we stick with the easy option of saving money, instead of progressing the team.

:lol: it's a terrible analogy mate.

Jeffthered

Phil Jones must just lay at night, smiling to himself as to how he managed to get this contract sorted.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"

So one is being fecked by an outside influence while the other only has itself to blame?

Yeay, I can see how that's exactly the same.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Anybody beginning to think because SAF bigged him up so much they don't want to sell him as not to disrespect the great man? Almost as if they think SAF must be right, when he did actually get a few things wrong, not often, but he wasn't infallible.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We need Phil Jones type players in the squad in for injuries and numbers. I think almost all the top 6 clubs would sign Jones as a backup CB because of his experience.

There is nothing wrong with this signing as long as the primary role from him is as a backup. Many of you need to realize a big club needs lots of players so we can't just let go 10 players you dislike the most and not have ready replacements.

SirAF

Ageist
We need Phil Jones type players in the squad in for injuries and numbers. I think almost all the top 6 clubs would sign Jones as a backup CB because of his experience.

There is nothing wrong with this signing as long as the primary role from him is as a backup. Many of you need to realize a big club needs lots of players so we can't just let go 10 players you dislike the most and not have ready replacements.
He’s your man!

dove

I can't see anyone needing a player who literally cannot finish 90 minutes without getting injured. He is waste of space, simple as that.

Nah they really wouldn't, City have Stones sitting on the bench. Only we're foolish enough to have Jones still, he's not even a reliable squad player.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I can't see anyone needing a player who literally cannot finish 90 minutes without getting injured. He is waste of space, simple as that.
He's the backup to the injured players, as soon as we get one back fit, there is Phil to take his place.