Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

jackal&hyde

It means we'll be able to get a big fee for him instead of losing him for cheap :drool:

Next summer we might have to look at signing another center back i'm afraid, but we already knew him and Smalling were very poor options to have. It is what it is. Loan move next year if we can't find a buyer.

Last edited:

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
It means we'll be able to get a big fee for him instead of loosing him for cheap :drool:

Next summer we might have to look at signing another center back i'm afraid, but we already knew him and Smalling were very poor options to have. It is what it is. Loan move next year if we can't find a buyer.
what about losing him though?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So in a game where we gave up 3 shots and none on target people are moaning about our 4th choice central defender. The Caf sure is a special place :lol::lol::lol:
Jones will play a lot this year. And 2 of those 3 shots because his reaction in defence was abysmal. In PL that mistakes will be costly. That is why people moan. They moan because we signed 5 years contract with average average defender

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
So in a game where we gave up 3 shots and none on target people are moaning about our 4th choice central defender. The Caf sure is a special place :lol::lol::lol:
Did you actually watch the match? He made several errors in the first half that led DIRECTLY to goal scoring chances for the opposition.

Against anybody who is actually a half decent footballer that would have been scored. Imagine the outrage losing to Astana at home? all thanks to Phil.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Jones will play a lot this year. And 2 of those 3 shots because his reaction in defence was abysmal. In PL that mistakes will be costly. That is why people moan. They moan because we signed 5 years contract with average average defender
So you expect our 4th choice central defender to be better than average? Think of it this way...the next time you want to have a moan about our 4th choice central defender, just look at Arsenal and remind yourself that it could be worse and we could have Luiz as our starter

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Did you actually watch the match? He made several errors in the first half that led DIRECTLY to goal scoring chances for the opposition.

Against anybody who is actually a half decent footballer that would have been scored. Imagine the outrage losing to Astana at home? all thanks to Phil.
Yes I did. Did you? He had one play where he misread the bounce but he made up for it and made and tracked the player and put his shot off. Other than that, he played fine. Especially considering it was his first time on the field since preseason. He was never beat on the dribble, never beat in the air, and he was excellent with the ball as his 97% passing rating proves. He was nowhere near as bad as you lot make him out to be...

red4ever 79

I think he will only play in these cups and if we have an injury crisis . Clear there are 3 CB's ahead of him, possibly even Rojo. Ed has given him that contract to keep some comedy value at the club

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Irrespective of whether he's 4th choice or not you expect better from a 27 year old CB then being a train wreck. Id rather see us give a young defender a chance then this joke. Jones has been stealing a living for the past 8 years

RedNed77

Perfectly adequate as a 4th choice CB. To misquote SadlerMUFC, he’d probably be Arsenal’s best centre half.

Allas8

At pre-season Jones played better then Tuanzebe, but last night Tuanzebe played better then Jones, thats my take away from the game. One defensive error from Jones, but he made up for it by blocking the following shot, beside that, he played well. You can't compare this to Premier League, we where obviously playing at high risk with CB bombing forward, at times Fred was our sweeper.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Perfectly adequate as a 4th choice CB. To misquote SadlerMUFC, he’d probably be Arsenal’s best centre half.
Not even close, he’s shocking, he’s a poor player and a poor defender, if we’re basing it on actual ability he is a championship level player.
The way be was turned over yesterday by their striker was absolutely embarrassing.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Who keeps giving this guy contracts when he's ever hardly even played 30% of games for us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Say what you want about Jonesy, but he can cut it quite comfortably in these sort of games.

lsd

The Oracle
He played well last night . It's ironic he appears to be staying fit now he is a back up

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Not even close, he’s shocking, he’s a poor player and a poor defender, if we’re basing it on actual ability he is a championship level player.
The way be was turned over yesterday by their striker was absolutely embarrassing.
For me, Phil Jones epitomises the decline of this club, perhaps that's why I have such a raging dislike of him..:devil:

Maticmaker

Say what you want about Jonesy, but he can cut it quite comfortably in these sort of games.
Yes Jones and Rojo can get their 'game time' hours in, in these sort of matches and it keeps them close to match fitness, if they need to step in for Maguire/Lindelöf.

Ole gets criticised for giving contracts to Jones and Young but these are the 'owd heads' he needs in the team, especially when he's blooding youngsters.

Havak

Pokemon master
I want his agent to negotiate my next contract at work as well.

"This guy is pretty shit at his job and he'll probably only be available 50% of the time, but I think he's worth an extra £25,000 a week."

"Yeah? Deal."

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Did I say it was any different?

Some are saying he played well last night, I say we were very lucky to not concede a penalty.
This is one of the reasons he gets injured so much. If he had managed to cut the recklessness out there is a good defender in there somewhere.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Did I say it was any different?

Some are saying he played well last night, I say we were very lucky to not concede a penalty.
You specifically said last night as it it was a somewhat unique occurrence. Those comments are made about Jones every time he plays for us. When it doesn't lead to goal scoring chances it tends to be ascribed to being passionate - when it does he's a liability. The plight of a defender I guess.

Josep Dowling

I want his agent to negotiate my next contract at work as well.

"This guy is pretty shit at his job and he'll probably only be available 50% of the time, but I think he's worth an extra £25,000 a week."

"Yeah? Deal."
What makes it worse is I'm sure he will be earning much more than £25,000 a week. It doesn't bother me that top footballers earn big money. It's the ones likes Jones who get these massive wages to literally train and play a handful of non-important matches that really piss me off.

Havak

Pokemon master
What makes it worse is I'm sure he will be earning much more than £25,000 a week. It doesn't bother me that top footballers earn big money. It's the ones likes Jones who get these massive wages to literally train and play a handful of non-important matches that really piss me off.
Oh, he earns £75k a week now. Before that, it was £50k (all allegedly of course).

It's the fact he gets given a new contract that gives him £25k a week MORE that is farcical!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Ridiculous thread to bump, I thought the club were after giving this disaster of a player a new contract.