Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

zenith

anyone who supported, accepted or facilitated his contract renewal should be immediately fired.
It preserves his value (whatever that may be) and that's pretty much what the purpose seems behind this extension.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I said then and I'll say the same now. This is good business. He is 27, has good experience, and is a solid backup CD (and I think accepts this position) that most top teams would like to have.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Ridiculous thread to bump, I thought the club were after giving this disaster of a player a new contract.
With Woodward and Matt Judge in charge, you can bet that we will extend his contract.
Jones is a complete waste of money and I'd rather the cash be spent on another players' wages, who may (or may not) come good.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
It preserves his value (whatever that may be) and that's pretty much what the purpose seems behind this extension.
He is unreliable because he is constantly injured. He is also not good enough to get regular game time. He has no value in regard to the success of the team, but there are substantial opportunity costs. Not just in terms of money.

Young has some value because for all its mediocracy he can play in various positions and is somewhat reliable as backup. As a top club you want to have most players on a level where you are okay with them starting in a CL KO game and than add some youngsters and squaddies. United has almost only squaddies(+unproven youngsters), who wouldn't have any shot of getting regular time for any ambitious club and what's worse: they are allowed to stay forever. When you suck after 2 years, you probably continue to suck for the next 100 years. Lindelöf (not really, but at least he is not constantly injured) and Tuanzebe should be the squad options. Not some perma crooked idiot.

Jones is the worst of the worst not because he is a substantially worse footballer than all the other jokers, but because of the time he was allowed to be at the club. He should have been sold 5 years ago, but is allowed to stay because he is another (toxic) link to SAF. He is a symbol for everything that went wrong after SAF left. He'll stay probably forever as long as united continues to rot into obscurity. He'll be out the window within weeks if competent people start to run the club.

iKeano

He is unreliable because he is constantly injured. He is also not good enough to get regular game time. He has no value in regard to the success of the team, but there are substantial opportunity costs. Not just in terms of money.

Young has some value because for all its mediocracy he can play in various positions and is somewhat reliable as backup. As a top club you want to have most players on a level where you are okay with them starting in a CL KO game and than add some youngsters and squaddies. United has almost only squaddies(+unproven youngsters), who wouldn't have any shot of getting regular time for any ambitious club and what's worse: they are allowed to stay forever. When you suck after 2 years, you probably continue to suck for the next 100 years. Lindelöf (not really, but at least he is not constantly injured) and Tuanzebe should be the squad options. Not some perma crooked idiot.

Jones is the worst of the worst not because he is a substantially worse footballer than all the other jokers, but because of the time he was allowed to be at the club. He should have been sold 5 years ago, but is allowed to stay because he is another (toxic) link to SAF. He is a symbol for everything that went wrong after SAF left. He'll stay probably forever as long as united continues to rot into obscurity. He'll be out the window within weeks if competent people start to run the club.
This.

If he was of any value to anyone, someone would have made an offer for him.

MrGlass. Should have been gone years ago.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's crazy though no ? Who would buy Jones for an interesting fee from us ? Some players aren't worth renewals, they have very little value from a financial POV.

buckooo1978

if you could rely on Bailly to stay fit for 15 minutes you'd let Jones go out on loan, prove himself with a view to selling him

he's still a very decent defender who could show a good level of ability if he manages to stay fit for 20/30 games

I have a feeling Smalling with enhance his reputation at Roma.... haven't watched him but he was very harshly treated for penalty last night

Hughie77

He’s a great squad player to have around who doesn’t moan when he doesn’t play
Probably , but that's it, they guy can be a liability, he was awful last night, a 19yr old boy showed more experience than him.

hp88

He's just a really bad footballer, that's the politest way of saying it.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The state of Solskjaer starting this buffoon in a position he’s unfamiliar with whilst Tuanzebe sits on the bench.

An abysmal decision which will cost us today.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
The state of Solskjaer starting this buffoon in a position he’s unfamiliar with whilst Tuanzebe sits on the bench.

An abysmal decision which will cost us today.
Tuanzebe is coming back from an injury, don't think he's match fit to start this one.

Champagne Football

He wouldn't get in the first XI at Aberdeen.

Its such a costly error, because in a tough away game like this where the home team are on top, if you concede first you're toast.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Him and Mata getting new contracts is why I believe it's only a matter of time before Lingard gets a new one.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I can't even be mad at him. He didn't pick himself.
Tell me another big club that keeps the likes of him, Young, Rojo etc this long?
I am done having a go at players.

LoneStar

Him and Mata getting new contracts is why I believe it's only a matter of time before Lingard gets a new one.
Think I’d take a good long break from football if that happens. Him not starting makes me as happy as if a good player were match fit and starting.

Josep Dowling

Why wasn’t his contract just run down? We do that and could have kept Smalling rather than loan him out. I don’t understand why they considered it was worth keeping him.

reddevilchennai

Young, Jones, Smalling, Mata, Periera, Lingard, Rojo, Sanchez - List of deadwoods still with United contract

Yagami

Good post resistant
Think I’d take a good long break from football if that happens. Him not starting makes me as happy as if a good player were match fit and starting.
Unfortunately, it seems that we as a club love rewarding mediocrity. I mean, calling Lingard mediocre is overrating him if anything, but still.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
He looked fairly decent at Blackburn for a young centre back. You guys have, in recent times, had a bad habit of ruining the development of players. He has become jack of all trades. If you are not careful rashford will go the same way, always changing position and no outstanding attributes.

Zoo

Saddest thing is you could see that happening all day long. It’s been going on for years with him.