Phil Jones to United | Transfer to Champions complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

mubarak

Lennie Godber
Hearing rumours that Blackburn and England U-21 defender is being linked with signing for Man Utd.

Has a good partnership with Smalling for the Under 21s but i can't see us going for him just yet. Unless Jonny Evans is shown the door. Hope not.

Jones one for the future perhaps, when Rio leaves?

manutdfuture - Home

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Loads of English talent being linked to us these days.

Rodwell, Henderson, Huddlestone and now Jones.

Don't think we personally need Jones, as I've full faith in Evans.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Loads of English talent being linked to us these days.

Rodwell, Henderson, Huddlestone and now Jones.

Don't think we personally need Jones, as I've full faith in Evans.
Useful to have a 3rd class CB though. We've always had Brown to rely on in the past when one of our CB's got injured.

Besides Evans can also fill in at LB so theres options for him.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Useful to have a 3rd class CB though. We've always had Brown to rely on in the past when one of our CB's got injured.

Besides Evans can also fill in at LB so theres options for him.
Hate when he fills in LB. Man did we look shit when he did so against Wolves.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Hearing rumours that Blackburn and England U-21 defender is being linked with signing for Man Utd.

Has a good partnership with Smalling for the Under 21s but i can't see us going for him just yet. Unless Jonny Evans is shown the door. Hope not.

Jones one for the future perhaps, when Rio leaves?
Sauce?

Phil Jones was linked to us last season and hyped as the new John Terry but can't see him leaving Blackburn for at least 2 seasons

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Not surprised to see us linked with this type of player. I think it will be a real aim of Sir Alex in the next couple of years to have a strong English/British core to his squad which has us well set up for the next decade, after he retires. This means going after young players from the second tier of english sides like Bale, Rodwell, Henderson and Jones to supplement the likes of Smalling, Evans, Cleverley and Welbeck who are already here. I could see us going after Jones if we can't get Rodwell.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
What makes you think that?

He's only being used there temporarily as Samba and Nelson are their first choice centre halves.
Allardyce. His current manager. He has good ball skills and he is an excellent game reader. One of the things that makes excellent ball winners/holding players.

Given the fact Samba and Nelsen ahead of him as center backs and he is too good for the Blackburn bench. He is likely to get the most playing time in holding role. Which IMO he can make his own.

Football365 | All The News | Football News | JONES IS MIDFIELD NATURAL - ALLARDYCE

Brophs

The One and Only
Every time I've seen him I've thought he looks a star in the making. He also either doesn't seem to be bothered by big games or playing against better players. I can't see him being at Blackburn very long.

alastair

ignorant
He's really not very good - he's cumbersome, and not remotely comfortable on the ball. He's the kind of centre-back that England produces all the time, and in reality they aren't all that amazing. He's just seen as acceptable because he's developed very young.

decorativeed

Hate when he fills in LB. Man did we look shit when he did so against Wolves.
I don't think that was because of his performance there though, more the players he made way for in the middle and the confusion of having a pretty pointless shuffle midway through a game.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
He's really not very good - he's cumbersome, and not remotely comfortable on the ball. He's the kind of centre-back that England produces all the time, and in reality they aren't all that amazing. He's just seen as acceptable because he's developed very young.
Jesus feckING christ. You're completely wrong on every single subject, you're like a miracle retard.

He's very good on the ball, not cumbersome at all and is as a very exciting prospect. You're either wuming or you're just stupid. Either way you're growing tiresome.

puNANI

Jesus feckING christ. You're completely wrong on every single subject, you're like a miracle retard.

He's very good on the ball, not cumbersome at all and is as a very exciting prospect. You're either wuming or you're just stupid. Either way you're growing tiresome.
:lol: miracle retard, it's funny cause it's true.

Just kidding Alastair don't be to cut, but that was funny

As for Jones, I agree that he should probably be playing as a deep lying midfielder. Comfortable on the ball and good at intercepting passes and reading the game.

alastair

ignorant

It's not wumming because you disagree. If you really have an issue, PM me, I'm not derailing another thread.

datura

I can assume you've hardly watched him then? One of the main things that stands out his his composure and his mobility, hence why he's managed to adapt to midfield.

alastair

ignorant
You obviously haven't watched him play. Yet you're pretty much writing him off already. Like I said, if you're not wumming, you're very stupid.
I've seen him play on numerous occasions in fact. I'm not writing him off - he'll be a very solid defender in a deep lying defence like Blackburn's, no doubt about that. I just think that if he played high-line and was expected to do much with the ball apart from clear it, he might struggle to get into the best sides in this country.

datura

Allardyce. His current manager. He has good ball skills and he is an excellent game reader. One of the things that makes excellent ball winners/holding players.

Given the fact Samba and Nelsen ahead of him as center backs and he is too good for the Blackburn bench. He is likely to get the most playing time in holding role. Which IMO he can make his own.

Football365 | All The News | Football News | JONES IS MIDFIELD NATURAL - ALLARDYCE
I think he'll move back when Nelson starts getting phased out. He's looked far better at centre half to me.

alastair

ignorant
I can assume you've hardly watched him then? One of the main things that stands out his his composure and his mobility, hence why he's managed to adapt to midfield.
He's mobile for someone his height and frame, yes. Maybe cumbersome was too strong a word - I wouldn't say his mobility stands out at all.

His composure defensively is good - I think he positions himself relatively well, and he's quite difficult to get past. I just don't think he's going to be a world beater. I would love to be proven wrong for England's sake, but I don't think I will be.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
I've seen him play on numerous occasions in fact. I'm not writing him off - he'll be a very solid defender in a deep lying defence like Blackburn's, no doubt about that. I just think that if he played high-line and was expected to do much with the ball apart from clear it, he might struggle to get into the best sides in this country.
He's very good on the ball, that's one of the big things you seem to be missing despite apparently watching him numerous times.

alastair

ignorant
He's very good on the ball, that's one of the big things you seem to be missing despite apparently watching him numerous times.

In what sense though? Short passing he's fine, first touch is passable, he rarely makes glaring mistakes. When it comes to accurate long passing though, he doesn't cut the mustard, from what I've seen.

cj_sparky

Jones is a cracking talent, has similar qualities to Terry. But seems to be better on the ball, and didn't seem out of place when he played in midfield against Sunderland.

Would be happy to have the lad, his versatility would be a bonus as he could fill in at right back too and as already said with Brown/ Rio in there final years he'd be a good lad to train in the United way.

datura

He's mobile for someone his height and frame, yes. Maybe cumbersome was too strong a word - I wouldn't say his mobility stands out at all.

His composure defensively is good - I think he positions himself relatively well, and he's quite difficult to get past. I just don't think he's going to be a world beater. I would love to be proven wrong for England's sake, but I don't think I will be.
You seem to say something for attention, then backtrack when called up on it. Why can't you just post normally?

He's obviously one of the biggest talents at centre half in England and had an extremely good impressive start to his career. I haven't seen too many better young centre backs at his age and if he continues to improve he will be a fantastic player.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
In what sense though? Short passing he's fine, first touch is passable, he rarely makes glaring mistakes. When it comes to accurate long passing though, he doesn't cut the mustard, from what I've seen.
And since when was it a part of a defenders game to be able to ping 50 yard hollywood balls?

A short pass to a midfielder who can do that will do fine, Jones has looked very good everytime i've seen him keeps it tidy and is a monster in the air.

alastair

ignorant
And since when was it a part of a defenders game to be able to ping 50 yard hollywood balls?

A short pass to a midfielder who can do that will do fine, Jones has looked very good everytime i've seen him keeps it tidy and is a monster in the air.

He'll be a better defender than midfielder for that simple reason. I was responding to the point that he's good in midfield, and I think any midfielder should be able to pass short and long range.

alastair

ignorant
You seem to say something for attention, then backtrack when called up on it. Why can't you just post normally?

He's obviously one of the biggest talents at centre half in England and had an extremely good impressive start to his career. I haven't seen too many better young centre backs at his age and if he continues to improve he will be a fantastic player.

I did exaggerate a tad, sorry. If he continues to improve, then maybe he will be a fantastic player - I don't see it though. All the things that players generally improve upon are already pretty good in his game - positioning an example of this. Where he will struggle will be with distribution and raw pace. Now, if he's played at centre-half, distribution shouldn't cause too many issues, but he's not going to get quicker, and that will hurt him.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
He'll be a better defender than midfielder for that simple reason. I was responding to the point that he's good in midfield, and I think any midfielder should be able to pass short and long range.
I still think he could do well in the "Makelele position" if he wanted to, but he looks such a natural defender why change it?

The same with Rodwell playing in defence, why when he looks so comfortable and good in midfield?

alastair

ignorant
I still think he could do well in the "Makelele position" if he wanted to, but he looks such a natural defender why change it?

The same with Rodwell playing in defence, why when he looks so comfortable and good in midfield?

I really rate Rodwell, he's going to be absolutely brilliant, but in midfield though as you say. The key with both of the players will be how they're managed - Alladyce will probably turn Jones into a tough tackling centre-half, but how Moyes will utilise Rodwell is less obvious. I don't want to turn this into a comparison thread, but if you were going to take one of them, you'd take Rodwell every time. He's a truly magnificent talent.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He is not good enough yet. Plus we have enough options for CB for at least another two years. We have to wait and see how he develops the next couple of seasons. He is pretty versatile though.

Epic

Bit sad United have to buy local talent. The Barcas and Bayerns get them way early and save a lot of money that way.

VoetbalWizard

Bit sad United have to buy local talent. The Barcas and Bayerns get them way early and save a lot of money that way.
barcas and bayerns aren't limited to 90 minute radius that united is nor do they have the sheer number of professional clubs in competition for talent in the same area that united have.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I did exaggerate a tad, sorry. If he continues to improve, then maybe he will be a fantastic player - I don't see it though. All the things that players generally improve upon are already pretty good in his game - positioning an example of this. Where he will struggle will be with distribution and raw pace. Now, if he's played at centre-half, distribution shouldn't cause too many issues, but he's not going to get quicker, and that will hurt him.
How would you know that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.