Phil Jones to United | Transfer to Champions complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
BBC Sport - Football - Blackburn defender Phil Jones faces lengthy absence

Now this does concern me. Looking at the rehab time did they repair ir or just remove it - hard to say.

If they removed it (then how much) he will get further problems in his knee.

They may have just trimmed it with an arthroscopy. A piece of piss op. I had mine in the morning then walked 1/4 mile in the evening to a restaurant.

These days, meniscus injuries are not such a big deal.

The rehab time is usually more to do with muscle wastage.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Found this post in one of the papers.

So Venkys, after dissipating all of the recognised footballing know-how at a club once admired for his parsimonious yet comparatively succesful stewardship, decide to rip up a perfectly good contract (without a release clause) that had the boy Jones tied to the club until 2015 and replace that with one permitting him to "talk to" interested parties.

They then compound that by letting Jones go to Carrington to talk with Ferguson, have a medical and sign a contract.

Then they decide that sorry Jones isn't worth £16.5m, actually he's worth £25m, and talk about going to the same Premier League administration that let them pass the "fit-and-proper person test" to ask them to step in and help them out.

Absolutely beggars belief. Venkys plan for success:

Sack Allardyce;
Appoint no-mark;
Go on slide towards bottom of table;
Talk about Maradonna, Beckham, Riquelme and chase Ronaldinho all the way back to his home in Brazil;
Give the donut £5m to get Rovers into Europe;
Sanction the signing of two young lads without any first team experience, one of whom we never see and the other who plays less than a bit-part;
Give the donut a contract for two years as we continue to slide down the table;
Bring Crocky back (because he's bored of not scoring in Man City's reserves) to help us avoid relegation;

So on and so forth.....

Nightmare.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Ok not to sound pessimistic but here goes.

The common concensus used to be to remove cartilage once damaged but that just brought the onset of arthritis.

After having numerous knee injuries and talking to medics and friends who have have had caritlage problems and looking at the research coming out of the NFL the conculsions were broadly the following.

Ligament injuries resulted in players losing explosive strength and the ability to run powerfully. Cartilage injuries resulted in shortening a players career.
Operative phrase. Depends on how severe it was.We don't really know TBF. That medical he had last week would have revealed a lot more than we can speculate on.

As for shortening his career, it's being a bit alarmist and doom and gloom isn't it. He could play for the next 10 years unhindered by it but then feel the effects after 30...so? Sure he'd take it, what sportsman wouldn't

Commadus

So you're saying there's a chance jones may need to retire early, in 2022?

Oh noes.
lol

You know what I mean. He might have continual problems. When they reconstruct a new ACL it performs pretty well funcitonally the same as a normal acl. When they remove the meniscus your knee though "healed" will not perform functionally the same - its missing some cartilage.

Thats why Etoo decided on taking a longer time out and trying that technique to repair the cartilage.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Actually I don't. For example, I expressed strong reservations about us signing Bentley for the mony involved and I didn't want Spurs to re-sign Keane.

And yes, signing a CB is not the priority for Spurs - signing a new striker (or two) is the top priority. This is because there were a fair few games last season in which we battered the opposition defence, dominated the game but failed to find the back of the net .... and so ending up drawing (or even losing) games that we very much should have won. The opening game of the season (0 - 0 at home to Man. City) set the pattern here.

The money paid for Jones seems to a be sensitive subject on here .... judging by the flurry of defensive-aggressive posts that have come in response to the rather mild observation that his signing is a fairly big gamble.
Nah, you were WUMing and it seems you are back on your game.

You surround your WUMing with a "serious poster" alter ego, but to be honest you come across as a numpty.

Commadus

Operative phrase. Depends on how severe it was.We don't really know TBF. That medical he had last week would have revealed a lot more than we can speculate on.

As for shortening his career, it's being a bit alarmist and doom and gloom isn't it. He could play for the next 10 years unhindered by it but then feel the effects after 30...so? Sure he'd take it, what sportsman wouldn't
As to the op - I assume United team had a look at his notes.
As to the medical - we did one on Hargo!!!

I would agree any sportsman would look at his career and deal with the effects afterwards.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I've had some cartilage removed from my right knee. Almost certainly the same injury as it's the common one with all footballers. I have it in both knees but it was worse in my right and I couldn't play without the operation.

I think if he does the right gym work I don't think it will shorten his career - more likely to give him problems later in life. He might occasionally enflame it if he's not careful and need to take a few weeks off but I doubt it's a big problem. Definitely legit to have some concerns though.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I've had some cartilage removed from my right knee. Almost certainly the same injury as it's the common one with all footballers. I have it in both knees but it was worse in my right and I couldn't play without the operation.

I think if he does the right gym work I don't think it will shorten his career - more likely to give him problems later in life. He might occasionally enflame it if he's not careful and need to take a few weeks off but I doubt it's a big problem. Definitely legit to have some concerns though.
All sportspeople involved in the use of the motor limbs live with the risk of injury and long term problems but that's balancedout bythe chance to be involved in something they love. I've heard motor sports/skiers/gymnasts all say that the enjoyment and possible glory outweigh the risk of long term pain or serious injury...none would stop it.

On footballers specifically, all the ones from the era I grew up in have some long term problems with arthiritis and limp around.Sad to see but they have their memories of playing for Utd and I doubt that they would change a thing

stubie

Bored now, I want us to confirm one of these deals.
Patience Solius

It will happen just will be a little later to complete than the average transfer deal.

The owners of Blackburn don't come across as the brightest

Cold_Boy

I don't understand Glaston.

Yes it is a gamble but so what? Its a good gamble to take.

We signed Berbatov,Veron for 30 mil. It didn't turn out exactly as we wanted.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
SAF rarely ever gets it wrong with defenders.

Last year the consensus on here was far more sceptical towards Smalling than it seems to be towards Jones. Three possible explanations. 1 - After the success of Smalling people are more optimistic about an unproven youngster carrying a big transfer fee. 2 - We won the league! The futures bright etc, whereas last summer Chelsea were considered better even by many of our own fans. 3 - Jones has been more impressive at Blackburn than Smalling was at Fulham.

Redrage

WTF is going on? This is really annoying. For god's sake someone please explain :mad::nervous::mad:

buildabonfire

SAF rarely ever gets it wrong with defenders.

Last year the consensus on here was far more sceptical towards Smalling than it seems to be towards Jones. Three possible explanations. 1 - After the success of Smalling people are more optimistic about an unproven youngster carrying a big transfer fee. 2 - We won the league! The futures bright etc, whereas last summer Chelsea were considered better even by many of our own fans. 3 - Jones has been more impressive at Blackburn than Smalling was at Fulham.
Good observation, although those three things aren't mutually exclusive; in fact, I'd say they are all true so contributing factors.

savais

Watched the u-21 game last night, and have to say Smalling was immense!! If Jones is worth 20m, then Smalling is easily 30-35m! Ofcourse, Smalling is not worth 30m, nor is Jones worth 20m, but just highlighting the difference between the 2, just based on last night's performance.

Now for the disclaimer. When Utd signed Smalling last season, the first few games after the transfer was announced, he looked anything but a player for whom ManUtd had just paid 10-12m. So, I am not going to say Jones is not worth 20m. By all accounts from people that have seen him a lot more than me, he has bags of potential.

I did see the defensive side of his game, very much a Terry-clone. But he always talks about how comfortable he is bringing the ball out of defence. I did not see anything of the sort. He just panicked and passed back to the keeper. The few times I saw him come out of defence (especially against Norway in the friendly), he seemed to just kick the ball past the player and run. Smalling, on the other hand, has lots of composure on the ball, evident last night against Spain.

I guess, if we look at how far Smalling has improved in just a season at united, I suppose Jones has every chance of developing his potential and becoming the future England captain, that everyone seems to think he can become.

Hey, if so many teams were chasing him, he can't be half-bad, huh?

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
All sportspeople involved in the use of the motor limbs live with the risk of injury and long term problems but that's balancedout bythe chance to be involved in something they love. I've heard motor sports/skiers/gymnasts all say that the enjoyment and possible glory outweigh the risk of long term pain or serious injury...none would stop it.

On footballers specifically, all the ones from the era I grew up in have some long term problems with arthiritis and limp around.Sad to see but they have their memories of playing for Utd and I doubt that they would change a thing
Yeah agree. When it comes down to a choice of not playing again half way through your career (or in Jones' case near the beginning) or walking with a stick later on, I know which I'd choose. It was an easy enough choice even for me and I'm hardly a pro footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.