Phil Jones

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Baby Faced Assassin, Jun 13, 2011.

1. May 8, 2013

Decotron Full Member

The new version?

[​IMG]
  2. May 8, 2013

Steven Seagull Full Member

Thought he was leaving too when this was bumped.
  3. May 8, 2013

Sam New Member

:lol:
  4. May 8, 2013

Brightonian Full Member

To be fair he's had attitude problems for a long time/is a shadow of the player he once was and not good enough for the team any more/has looked pretty disinterested and in shit form recently.

Or something.
  5. May 12, 2013

Olly Gunnar Solskjær bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal dog Scout

6. May 12, 2013

Raees Legal Guardian of the Football forums

Future captain material
  7. May 12, 2013

MDFC Manager Full Member

Will be captain inside 3 years, me thinks!
  8. May 24, 2013

jeston Full Member

[​IMG]

even when he's playing golf..
  9. May 24, 2013

Duafc Colm Murray

beaten to it by a minute. Jeston you FB creep.
  10. Jun 2, 2013

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

Jones starting tonight, according to BBC. Hopefully at CB.
  11. Jun 3, 2013

Rood nostradamus like gloater Scout

where did he play yesterday? and how did he do?
    looking at the line up, it seems like he started in midfield
  12. Jun 3, 2013

Solius Bearded Scholes admirer Staff

Midfield, and shit.
  13. Jun 3, 2013

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

Was playing alongside Carrick and Lampard in midfield, halfway to the second half he changed to right back position. One yellow after three fouls. I thought he was good, not as good as Carrick but for his age and experience he kept it simple and let other do the fancy stuff. Meeting Brazil at Maracana is not easy but he was confident and took the challenge in the right way. This guy will be a future rock wherever he plays.
  14. Jun 3, 2013

Bestie07 Full Member

He ran and he fouled, a lot. Surprisingly he survived 75 minutes before being booked.
  15. Jun 3, 2013

I think you are a bit hard. There where other who was far worse.
  16. Jun 3, 2013

Solius Bearded Scholes admirer Staff

No I just checked, all flacid down there.
  17. Jun 3, 2013

Rowem gently, down the stream

He was really useless yesterday.

He just kind of stood around not wanting the ball when England had possession. He does this for United too, but at least at United he makes bursting runs and presses all over the pitch. For England he didn't really press as England kept a straight bank of five midfielders in front of the defence. Jones, Carrick and Lampard were all stood in the centre very close to one another. None broke rank and pressed Brazil. Brazil easily bypassed England's midfield with their movement, dribbling and passing. When England did get a chance to break Jones often sat back, which seems pointless as his drive is one of the assets that make it an option to play him in midfield.

I mean, what he actually did do was ok. He was quite tidy in possession and he did some good defensive work. But he did very little. I can't remember him doing anything of note within Brazil's own half.

He should play at right back for England because Glen Johnson is an awful, awful defender.
  18. Jun 3, 2013

100 binary bot

I don't blame him because he just isn't a midfielder at all. When he went to right back he was alright and Brazil didn't get anything down that side for the rest of the game.
  19. Jun 3, 2013

Playing at the Maracana is like meeting Italy in Napoli, the crowd goes bananas for nothing. He faced Neymar several times and did OK, never looked out of dept. His positioning, who sometimes can be his weakness, was OK. Off course Carrick was our stand out player but England meet a concentrated and motivated Brazil, not many teams beat them when they go for it.

I assume the humidity caused a little bit of problems, I was in Rio two weeks ago and I know how easily the weather can make you lose your breath.

I thought England made a very good game. Do you expect them to dominate Brazil at their home ground at the end of the season?
  20. Jun 3, 2013

Godfather Full Member

Everytime I watch him I wonder whether Fergir was drunk as feck when he gave that interview calling him the best prospect United ever saw. I mean hes a decent talent and all but fick me I just cant see him turn into a worlbeater at all.
  21. Jun 3, 2013

Ok. I don't really see what most of that has to do with my post or with Phil Jones, but I agree with most of it.

However England were absolutely dreadful for the first 60-70 minutes. Literally awful. Tactically poor, individually poor, couldn't string 5 passes together, couldn't create anything whatsoever. Brazil ran England absolutely ragged, cutting through the midfield and defence with ease on numerous occasions. If it wasn't for Joe Hart making some very good saves and blocks then Brazil could have been 4 or 5 goals up. England looked an awful lot better when Hodgson made a tactical change, adding Oxlaide to midfield and pushing the full backs up. In fact England went from looking like San Marino to being the better side for the last 20-30 minutes.
  22. Jun 3, 2013

Annahnomoss Full Member

Hello, I am retarded and want to share a retarded view of the game with you guys! See quote below. :wenger:
  23. Jun 3, 2013

Bestie07 Full Member

Lampard.
  24. Jun 3, 2013

Well done! :lol:
  25. Jun 3, 2013

Annahnomoss Full Member

:lol::houllier::wenger:
  26. Jun 3, 2013

AngeloHenriquez Full Member

Supports:
    Stevenage
    Why do people constantly want to shove him in midfield?

Everything about him screams CB to me, at a push, possibly even a sweeper (if it wasn't a dead pos) but certainly not further up the field.

In a few years with some discipline perhaps he can do a job, but he will never be a top midfielder in my opinion, so I don't see why the managers let him play where he was meant to.
  27. Jun 3, 2013

I think it was mostly because England had quite a few CMs injured. The only other options were Oxlaide and Rodwell.
  28. Jun 3, 2013

Bross Noggie Pez Dispenser

Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
    Im not sure if people are joking a'la Diouf / Manucho any more when they say hes future captain material and biggest English talent etc. Dont see it personally. Dont think he'll end up as much more than a good versatile squad player.
  29. Jun 3, 2013

OnlyTwoDaSilvas Gullible

I agree entirely. he's a centre back all day. The type who can fill in at RB when absolutely necessary.

In the England game, you had Carrick at in front of the back four, Lampard buzzing around the centre circle, and Jones was pretty much between theo and Milner, as if he was the #10 in a 4-2-3-1. I think he was instructed to have a bit of freedom and play between the boxes, which was bonkers.

In the modern game squad numbers don't really mean anything, but the England team has stayed quite true to them compared to other countries (and clubs) and they often indicate where a player is playing. He wore the #7, and that's either a winger or an attacking midfielder, and that was cemented by where he was on the pitch - always infront of Lampard and Carrick.

He's a defender. He's just not skilled enough to be a ball player. It'd be like putting Nemanja Vidic at the top of a midfield 3. It just wouldn't work. I think he'll make a great centre back. A Vidic-type body-on-the-line sort of defender. But anywhere else and he looks way out of his depth.
  30. Jun 3, 2013

They're not joking re: future captain. He's a leader with a great attitude and he's certainly one of, if not the most, promising defenders in the country.
  31. Jun 3, 2013

Sassy Colin Death or the gladioli!

Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    I'm pretty much with you guys. John O'Shea II anyone?
  32. Jun 3, 2013

I can't say I saw it that way at all. He barely stepped into the opposition half except to get down the right and support Walcott, and even then he was extremely reluctant to overlap.
  33. Jun 3, 2013

gooDevil Worst scout ever

Looking at 21 year olds and seeing who will be the best CB at their peak is very trick. Vidic at 21, Rio at 21, they didn't look like the best in the world and future captains.

I have no idea if he's going to be a future captain, but he's obviously full of great potential.
  34. Jun 3, 2013

In what way?

Seriously, give me a for instance.
  35. Jun 3, 2013

Even when he was a teenager he was issuing instructions to older and more experienced teammates. He is also clearly hugely driven, and hugely driven people make excellent leaders.
  36. Jun 3, 2013

Are you joking? Even a non-United fan I used to work with was calling him an England legend in the year he came to United, when he was only 23. We paid £30M for him over 10 years ago. That is a figure still pretty rare today.
  37. Jun 3, 2013

Supports:
    Stevenage
    Completely agreed, I don't see how you can't call him a leader, so mature for his age, so composed and seems to handle himself well in the media, and has what English people need for a captain... 'that never give up attitude' and the face's he pulls proves he should be captain :wenger:
  38. Jun 3, 2013

Supports:
    Stevenage
    Agreed, Rio was touted as one of the potential world's best, not really an opinion...
  39. Jun 3, 2013

gooDevil Worst scout ever

Then Rio is the exception. But you know what I mean.
  40. Jun 3, 2013

:wenger: