Phil Jones

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
I'm in the "great potential" camp.

But let's get this sorted out once and for all. To borrow a line from Bones, Phil Jones is a center-back, not a central midfielder. The boy can do the proverbial job in midfielder when called upon, but you're just not going to see amazing creative play from him there and I hope next season is the last season where we see him deployed there. The man is a destroyer, not a creator, although he has shown us some pretty good stuff marauding up the flank from the RB position.

But as a mid against Brasil, in Brasil? That's asking a lot of him, probably too much. That said, Jonesey actually acquitted himself quite well yesterday -- under the circumstances.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I often think of Darren Fletcher's development in regards to Jones. People would cringe to see him in midfield and I have to admit that back in 2006 I didn't see him as a future first team regular and quite excellent midfielder.

Who knows exactly how Jones will develop, but he has years and years to perfect his art.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I often think of Darren Fletcher's development in regards to Jones. People would cringe to see him in midfield and I have to admit that back in 2006 I didn't see him as a future first team regular and quite excellent midfielder.

Who knows exactly how Jones will develop, but he has years and years to perfect his art.
Yes, but Darren Fletcher was rubbish in 2006, I wouldn't say that Phil Jones was rubbish by any means.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'm in the "great potential" camp.

But let's get this sorted out once and for all. To borrow a line from Bones, Phil Jones is a center-back, not a central midfielder. The boy can do the proverbial job in midfielder when called upon, but you're just not going to see amazing creative play from him there and I hope next season is the last season where we see him deployed there. The man is a destroyer, not a creator, although he has shown us some pretty good stuff marauding up the flank from the RB position.

But as a mid against Brasil, in Brasil? That's asking a lot of him, probably too much. That said, Jonesey actually acquitted himself quite well yesterday -- under the circumstances.
Nothing wrong with being a midfield 'destroyer', in fact I have said often that we lack one. Plus I think Jones can be more than just that anyway.

I didnt see the match so cant comment on how he played but it is interesting to see that several managers (Fergie, Capello and now Hodgson) have trusted Jones to play midfield against some of the best opposition in the world (Spain, Brazil, Real etc).

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
As a midfielder Jones hasn't shown anywhere near as much potential as a young Fletcher did. To claim it's the other way around is absurd.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Well I never saw Fletcher at 19-21, so I can't comment there. But at 22 I didn't think he looked like he could go on to be the player he did. One person who did though was Fergie, who happens to see something special in Jones too.

But I'm not comparing Jones the midfield to Fletcher the midfielder, just illustrating the various paths player development can take.

manutddjw

At his age any playing time for Jones, no matter the position is beneficial to him and his development. While we may see him as a Center Back long term, at this point in time he's not on the level of Rio, Vidic, Evans or even Smalling yet, but the important thing is he's playing and getting experience playing at the high level that will be needed from him in the future.

Neither Cleverley or Welbeck played in their ideal positions while on loan, but both of them benefited greatly from regular playing time in the Premier League that they wouldn't have gotten here while they were out on loan. With Jones able to play in many different roles he'll probably play in 25+ games for us, which is alot more than he would if we decide to only use him as a Center Back.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Semantics. In Britain it seems if you're captain of Scotland and a first team player for United you're 'good'.

I'd say that's understating it.
In terms of people playing the sport, then yes; he's excellent. In terms of professional footballers he's good. Don't see what's so bad about that. Excellent means 'unusually good'. That he is not. That's Robin van Persie or Rooney.

You might call it semantics. I might call it tired of using hyperboles or superlatives to describe everything in football.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Well I never saw Fletcher at 19-21, so I can't comment there. But at 22 I didn't think he looked like he could go on to be the player he did. One person who did though was Fergie, who happens to see something special in Jones too.

But I'm not comparing Jones the midfield to Fletcher the midfielder, just illustrating the various paths player development can take.
Well, I can only speak for myself and I never doubted Fletch would turn into a fine midfielder. I've yet to see anything from Jones to suggest the same. I'm very unsure of his awareness and, somewhat strangely given all the talk of him being captain material, there's something so timid about him when deployed in midfield. He never seeks possession, in fact at times it looks as though he deliberately messes up angles so as not to receive a pass. What I do like about Jones the midfielder is his brilliant timing when arriving in the oppo's box and obviously he's a good destroyer.

It could be that he's a fine midfield prospect who needs to come out of his shell. As it stands, I rate him as an outstanding young center half and full back.

Commadus

He could become a brilliant centreback or a journeyman midfielder / patch up player.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's got something. Not sure exactly what and how much of it - but it's definitely something.

Fergie seems to rate him very highly indeed. And Fergie knows - as he likes to say himself - potential when he sees it. And "potential" in this context isn't necessarily the obvious things. Everyone can see that he is a strong lad, a fighter, and so forth. In a Fergie sense, however, Jones' potential obviously goes - far - beyond that. We'll have to see whether the old man is right. Wouldn't rule it out.

Platato

Psst!
I don't like seeing Jones in midfield but perhaps while he's still young we can manage to put him there. I just don't see how we're cultivating his development other than offering a slightly broader football education.

I also don't think it's fair to judge his presence in midfield on one game. The problem is, he's not a consistent option so any opportunity to use a longitudinal type of analysis regarding Phil Jones as a CM is predominately void. We're simply handpicking certain games whether we either thought he did well, decent or just downright poor. I'll continue to trust my own judgment and say I don't think he's a CM but I'm not basing it on much. Just how he plays in that position.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
And then he will have to battle it out with Evans and Smalling.

Looks like we will see him more at RB or in midfield.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Decision to play him in CB ahead of our best CB this year is baffling.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Its just one of those things. His hand went up, and the ball hit it. He didn't do it intentionally, it was a mistake.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Been dreadful for a while now, needs to step up as looking short of quality needed right now.

Sam

I hate to say it, but I think he's regressed massively since we first signed him.

mufcwarm92

I hate to say it, but I think he's regressed massively since we first signed him.
Hasn't regressed at all, but probably hasn't pushed on as we thought he would. Bear in mind though he's 22 - Cahill and Jagielka weren't even close to the England set up at that age. Has all the tools to be a top player at United with more regular football likely next season.

Sam

Hasn't regressed at all, but probably hasn't pushed on as we thought he would. Bear in mind though he's 22 - Cahill and Jagielka weren't even close to the England set up at that age. Has all the tools to be a top player at United with more regular football likely next season.
I think he has though, in his first season he looked comfortable on the ball and a good option at right back. Thesedays he just looks so uncomfortable when the balls anywhere near his feet.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You're reading too much from his first game after 20 days of not playing(2nd after almost 2 months).