Phil Jones

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Phil Jones wants to cement spot in Manchester United’s back three
• Louis Van Gaal opted for fluid 5-2-3 or 5-3-2 system
• Jones lined up alongside Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans

The Manchester United defender Phil Jones is hoping to benefit from the departures of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic. Photograph: Brandon Parry/Action Images
Phil Jones is embracing Louis van Gaal’s three centre-back system, with the 22-year-old determined to become a long-term player in the position following the departures of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

Jones was United’s best defender in the 7-0 hammering of LA Galaxy in Pasadena in the club’s opening tour match. Van Gaal opted for a fluid 5-2-3 or 5-3-2 system in which Jones played alongside Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans in defence.

Since joining United he has often been played out of position – at right-back and in midfield – but Jones hopes he will now be selected regularly in central defence.

Of the formation, which is new to the United squad, Jones said: “The lads have been brilliant in training. The gaffer has told us how he wants us to play and they way he wants to play this season. It’s a learning process but we’re all pulling in the right direction.

“We played three at the back with Luke [Shaw] and Antonio [Valencia] as wing-backs. And it worked. It’s a learning process but we’re getting used to it. Day by day we’re getting better and we’ll be ready for the start of the season. Like I said it’s a work in process. This is the first time I’ve played three at the back. Every manager has got his philosophy. We’re all pulling in the right direction and hopefully we’ll have a better season.”

Two goals each from Wayne Rooney, Ashley Young and the debutant Reece James, who was one of nine half-time changes made by Van Gaal, plus Danny Welbeck’s opener, allowed United to coast to an easy victory before flying to Denver for Saturday’s meeting with Roma in their opening International Champions Cup group match.

Asked if the squad can play the new shape, Jones said: “That’s what the gaffer believes in. If he believes in that then we believe in that as well.”

Jones does not feel it will be a difficult adjustment. “Defenders are defenders. The main thing for a defender is to defend. Defend the space and defend the goal. At times you’ve got the two wing-backs helping you as well.”

Of his hopes of succeeding Ferdinand and Vidic, Jones said: “That’s ultimately what I want to be doing. Everyone is trying to impress and hopefully we can start the season off well. We’ve lost two great defenders in Rio and Nemanja. But that’s football and we move on. We’ve got good players to replace them and hopefully we can all step up and improve that.”

Jones described how a three centre-back shape will work in the upcoming season. “If one goes in the other two have got to come round and cover. It’s the same when you’re playing two at the back, one goes up for a header the other comes round,” he said. “Of course, as a defender you need a lot of communication. Talking to the people around you and if we get that right we’ll be good.”
I think the guy in the middle should always cover for the 2 at his sides so that they're able to sweep their sides without having to worry about something going behind them. Given his pace and strength I think Jones is the most suited to play that role anyway, covering for the others although I don't think Evans on the other hand would feel that comfortable having to go a bit wide at times.

If Jones can stay fit, he will show that the money we spent on him was well invested. He's always had the talent, he just gets injured so often because of his rash challenges.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Have you seen the bag that looks like Manchester United’s Phil Jones?

Sunday 27 Jul 2014 1:51 pm

Poor Phil Jones has been compared to many things since his spectacular facials started being picked up by mischievous fans, but this lookalike could top the lot.

While supporters have found houses and Muppets that bear an uncanny resemblance to the Manchester United defender, this bag does a pretty mean Jones impression itself.

The 22-year-old will be hoping to unzip his potential next season under new United boss Louis van Gaal, but should Jones falter, perhaps this bag could shoulder his defensive responsibility?

Phil Jones vs. Beaker from Muppets (Picture: Ian Hodgson)

House that looks like Phil Jones

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/27/have-...s-like-manchester-uniteds-phil-jones-4811943/

Raul Madrid

Have you seen the bag that looks like Manchester United’s Phil Jones?

Sunday 27 Jul 2014 1:51 pm

Poor Phil Jones has been compared to many things since his spectacular facials started being picked up by mischievous fans, but this lookalike could top the lot.

While supporters have found houses and Muppets that bear an uncanny resemblance to the Manchester United defender, this bag does a pretty mean Jones impression itself.

The 22-year-old will be hoping to unzip his potential next season under new United boss Louis van Gaal, but should Jones falter, perhaps this bag could shoulder his defensive responsibility?

Phil Jones vs. Beaker from Muppets (Picture: Ian Hodgson)

House that looks like Phil Jones

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/27/have-...s-like-manchester-uniteds-phil-jones-4811943/
:lol:

SirAF

Ageist
I'm really excited about the change in formation - I think that will make Jones' career here. He'll finally have a chance to cement his spot as a CB and won't suffer from being jerked around in different positions.

Tarrou

I missed the game last night, how did Jones look? I'm pleased he's getting games at CB under LVG, was slightly worried he'd be shunted into the De Jong role with Carrick out.

RuudTom83

I missed the game last night, how did Jones look? I'm pleased he's getting games at CB under LVG, was slightly worried he'd be shunted into the De Jong role with Carrick out.
He looked solid enough, had one run into the opposing half...but tbf the Roma game was not the best to watch, getting 45 mins in the heat will have done his fitness a lot of good, so that would be the main positive I'd take from the game.

SATA

He's another one along with Rafael that needs to stay fit and not go into reckless challenges. If he does, he's a first choice defender

Glanville95

I don't think it will be too difficult for him to adjust to the new system, as he communicates well and holds the line well enough. Against Roma he pressed out of defence well and made a few good challenges and interceptions, while being not really exposed on the right side at all. Quite a solid performance, but one minor issue I'd have would be his use of the ball. He's not a bad passer, but he often dawdles on the ball and doesn't release it early enough IMO. Still, our best defender in the first half along with James.

Momochiru

I don't think it will be too difficult for him to adjust to the new system, as he communicates well and holds the line well enough. Against Roma he pressed out of defence well and made a few good challenges and interceptions, while being not really exposed on the right side at all. Quite a solid performance, but one minor issue I'd have would be his use of the ball. He's not a bad passer, but he often dawdles on the ball and doesn't release it early enough IMO. Still, our best defender in the first half along with James.
I think his use of the ball is decent. Yesterday he made the pass that lead to the penalty (our best attacking play in my opinion).

Glanville95

I think his use of the ball is decent. Yesterday he made the pass that lead to the penalty (our best attacking play in my opinion).
His ability on the ball is fine, I just don't think he circulates the ball quickly enough at times. As I said though, it's a minor criticism.

red_7

to play in middle of a back 3 could really suit him. Looking forward to see him play there. Still think he did a decent job as DM to protect the back four

Ringo 07

An awful but characteristic lunge from him tonight but otherwise he was great.....Jones usually misses a few months of every season through getting injured from some mistimed lunge but thankfully Blackett looks the part to fill in for him when he's injured.....
I think Jones will come of age very soon but he'd definitely not quite there yet

Juan't Mata

Think we are going to have to be patient with our young centre backs. Hope the penny drops soon about lunging into challenges.

FromTheBench

He still has some stupid moments in his game, but he has all the attributes to be top class.

I am sure he'll cut it out given time and run in the CB position consistently.

jason93

Don't think he'll be any better than he is now tbh. He's "decent" but I don't think he'll ever become world class or anything. Would much rather sign 2 new CBs than play him.

JSMHE

He did really well in 2nd half. But first half especially that dangerous challenge cost us a penalty. I can't believe Phil Jones hasn't learn anything from last season. He needs to be smarter and know where to make a risky challenge like that.

Bojan11

Don't think he'll be any better than he is now tbh. He's "decent" but I don't think he'll ever become world class or anything. Would much rather sign 2 new CBs than play him.
What? He's 22. Rio was rash when he was 22. What was Vidic doing when he was 22? Aren't you the guy who thinks Fellaini is a great CM?

Expect mistakes from young defenders. And to be fair it was originally poor tracking by Young.

Walters_19_MuFc

American ref, won't see such a terrible call in England.

Ref needs to learn to see the spin of the ball to see a touch.
Just think it was the way Jones dived in that convinced the ref. Didn't really have to, to be honest. He allowed the ref to make a decision. Other than that, though, he was solid, in my opinion.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Just think it was the way Jones dived in that convinced the ref. Didn't really have to, to be honest. He allowed the ref to make a decision. Other than that, though, he was solid, in my opinion.
It was a bit of a wild challenge, agreed. But he got the ball, and an EPL ref would have seen the touch.

If his name was John Terry it would be the tackle of the week and he's be getting praise from here to India.

Kakeru

I agree about the question of the challenge. If there's one thing that he could learn (and it will sound odd for anyone to say this to some extent), it's how to stay on his feet and use the body like Tyler Blackett did in this tour rather than going for the rash challenge. As I wrote in yesterday's match thread, the order should be simple for him: keep your feet moving and stay up.

jason93

What? He's 22. Rio was rash when he was 22. What was Vidic doing when he was 22? Aren't you the guy who thinks Fellaini is a great CM?

Expect mistakes from young defenders. And to be fair it was originally poor tracking by Young.
True. I guess I just don't care for Jones as a player that much. Yeah he's young but he's not my type of player. I like defenders with flair and good passing. Guys like Pique, Hummels, Silva, Luiz and Ramos would be amongst my favourite CBs.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
True. I guess I just don't care for Jones as a player that much. Yeah he's young but he's not my type of player. I like defenders with flair and good passing. Guys like Pique, Hummels, Silva, Luiz and Ramos would be amongst my favourite CBs.
The majority of defenders are not like that at all. Vidic isn't, Terry isn't (although he is not too shabby) or if we go back further, Steve Bruce.

jason93

The majority of defenders are not like that at all. Vidic isn't, Terry isn't (although he is not too shabby) or if we go back further, Steve Bruce.
We need a defender like that. Someone like Vertonghen, Hummels or Varane.

jem

I wouldn't want this clown anywhere near my team.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Of the ones you mentioned, only 2 are genuinely good defenders. Luiz is a pisstake of a player, Pique is a ball player and a poor defender, and Ramos...I have no words for Ramos as a player. So you prefer players who play at centre back because they're oversized midfielders is what I'm getting out of this.

Y2A

The problem with Phil is that he hasn't really improved much or matured much compared to when he just arrived here.