Phil Jones

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
where did he play yesterday? and how did he do?
looking at the line up, it seems like he started in midfield

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
where did he play yesterday? and how did he do?
looking at the line up, it seems like he started in midfield
Was playing alongside Carrick and Lampard in midfield, halfway to the second half he changed to right back position. One yellow after three fouls. I thought he was good, not as good as Carrick but for his age and experience he kept it simple and let other do the fancy stuff. Meeting Brazil at Maracana is not easy but he was confident and took the challenge in the right way. This guy will be a future rock wherever he plays.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He was really useless yesterday.

He just kind of stood around not wanting the ball when England had possession. He does this for United too, but at least at United he makes bursting runs and presses all over the pitch. For England he didn't really press as England kept a straight bank of five midfielders in front of the defence. Jones, Carrick and Lampard were all stood in the centre very close to one another. None broke rank and pressed Brazil. Brazil easily bypassed England's midfield with their movement, dribbling and passing. When England did get a chance to break Jones often sat back, which seems pointless as his drive is one of the assets that make it an option to play him in midfield.

I mean, what he actually did do was ok. He was quite tidy in possession and he did some good defensive work. But he did very little. I can't remember him doing anything of note within Brazil's own half.

He should play at right back for England because Glen Johnson is an awful, awful defender.

binary bot
I don't blame him because he just isn't a midfielder at all. When he went to right back he was alright and Brazil didn't get anything down that side for the rest of the game.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
He was really useless yesterday.

He just kind of stood around not wanting the ball when England had possession. He does this for United too, but at least at United he makes bursting runs and presses all over the pitch. For England he didn't really press as England had a kept a straight bank of five midfielders in front of the defence. Jones, Carrick and Lampard were all just stood in the centre very close to one another. None broke rank and pressed Brazil. Brazil easily bypassed England's midfield with their movement, dribbling and passing. When England did get a chance to break Jones often sat back, which seems pointless as his drive is one of the assets that make it an option to play him in midfield.

I mean, what he actually did do was ok. He was quite tidy in possession and he did some good defensive work. But he did very little. I can't remember him doing anything of note within Brazil's own half.
Playing at the Maracana is like meeting Italy in Napoli, the crowd goes bananas for nothing. He faced Neymar several times and did OK, never looked out of dept. His positioning, who sometimes can be his weakness, was OK. Off course Carrick was our stand out player but England meet a concentrated and motivated Brazil, not many teams beat them when they go for it.

I assume the humidity caused a little bit of problems, I was in Rio two weeks ago and I know how easily the weather can make you lose your breath.

I thought England made a very good game. Do you expect them to dominate Brazil at their home ground at the end of the season?

Godfather

Everytime I watch him I wonder whether Fergir was drunk as feck when he gave that interview calling him the best prospect United ever saw. I mean hes a decent talent and all but fick me I just cant see him turn into a worlbeater at all.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Playing at the Maracana is like meeting Italy in Napoli, the crowd goes bananas for nothing. He faced Neymar several times and did OK, never looked out of dept. His positioning, who sometimes can be his weakness, was OK. Off course Carrick was our stand out player but England meet a concentrated and motivated Brazil, not many teams beat them when they go for it.

I assume the humidity caused a little bit of problems, I was in Rio two weeks ago and I know how easily the weather can make you lose your breath.

I thought England made a very good game. Do you expect them to dominate Brazil at their home ground at the end of the season?
Ok. I don't really see what most of that has to do with my post or with Phil Jones, but I agree with most of it.

However England were absolutely dreadful for the first 60-70 minutes. Literally awful. Tactically poor, individually poor, couldn't string 5 passes together, couldn't create anything whatsoever. Brazil ran England absolutely ragged, cutting through the midfield and defence with ease on numerous occasions. If it wasn't for Joe Hart making some very good saves and blocks then Brazil could have been 4 or 5 goals up. England looked an awful lot better when Hodgson made a tactical change, adding Oxlaide to midfield and pushing the full backs up. In fact England went from looking like San Marino to being the better side for the last 20-30 minutes.

Annahnomoss

Hello, I am retarded and want to share a retarded view of the game with you guys! See quote below. :wenger:

Bestie07

Is this a joke? He started next to two deep lying midfielders which is one extremely defensive combination in itself and he himself is a defensive minded player. It was an obvious tactical choice not to let him rave freely as that is his natural instinct.

The manager wanted to rely on the huge passing range of both Carrick and Gerrard to have a direct play so he was obviously told to pass the ball to them as soon as he won it back.

Carrick and Gerrard doesn't have the legs to form a solid enough defense against a flairy Brazil team so he was a nice inclusion.

I think we can only really judge him after we get to see him used with more freedom as he would be way better going box-to-box all game and entering the box for crosses.
Lampard.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Is this a joke? He started next to two deep lying midfielders which is one extremely defensive combination in itself and he himself is a defensive minded player. It was an obvious tactical choice not to let him rave freely as that is his natural instinct.

The manager wanted to rely on the huge passing range of both Carrick and Gerrard to have a direct play so he was obviously told to pass the ball to them as soon as he won it back.

Carrick and Gerrard doesn't have the legs to form a solid enough defense against a flairy Brazil team so he was a nice inclusion.

I think we can only really judge him after we get to see him used with more freedom as he would be way better going box-to-box all game and entering the box for crosses.
Well done! :lol:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Why do people constantly want to shove him in midfield?

Everything about him screams CB to me, at a push, possibly even a sweeper (if it wasn't a dead pos) but certainly not further up the field.

In a few years with some discipline perhaps he can do a job, but he will never be a top midfielder in my opinion, so I don't see why the managers let him play where he was meant to.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I think it was mostly because England had quite a few CMs injured. The only other options were Oxlaide and Rodwell.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Im not sure if people are joking a'la Diouf / Manucho any more when they say hes future captain material and biggest English talent etc. Dont see it personally. Dont think he'll end up as much more than a good versatile squad player.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Why do people constantly want to shove him in midfield?

Everything about him screams CB to me, at a push, possibly even a sweeper (if it wasn't a dead pos) but certainly not further up the field.

In a few years with some discipline perhaps he can do a job, but he will never be a top midfielder in my opinion, so I don't see why the managers let him play where he was meant to.
I agree entirely. he's a centre back all day. The type who can fill in at RB when absolutely necessary.

In the England game, you had Carrick at in front of the back four, Lampard buzzing around the centre circle, and Jones was pretty much between theo and Milner, as if he was the #10 in a 4-2-3-1. I think he was instructed to have a bit of freedom and play between the boxes, which was bonkers.

In the modern game squad numbers don't really mean anything, but the England team has stayed quite true to them compared to other countries (and clubs) and they often indicate where a player is playing. He wore the #7, and that's either a winger or an attacking midfielder, and that was cemented by where he was on the pitch - always infront of Lampard and Carrick.

He's a defender. He's just not skilled enough to be a ball player. It'd be like putting Nemanja Vidic at the top of a midfield 3. It just wouldn't work. I think he'll make a great centre back. A Vidic-type body-on-the-line sort of defender. But anywhere else and he looks way out of his depth.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Im not sure if people are joking a'la Diouf / Manucho any more when they say hes future captain material and biggest English talent etc. Dont see it personally. Dont think he'll end up as much more than a good versatile squad player.
They're not joking re: future captain. He's a leader with a great attitude and he's certainly one of, if not the most, promising defenders in the country.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Everytime I watch him I wonder whether Fergir was drunk as feck when he gave that interview calling him the best prospect United ever saw. I mean hes a decent talent and all but fick me I just cant see him turn into a worlbeater at all.
I'm pretty much with you guys. John O'Shea II anyone?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Jones was pretty much between theo and Milner, as if he was the #10 in a 4-2-3-1. I think he was instructed to have a bit of freedom and play between the boxes...

where he was on the pitch - always infront of Lampard and Carrick.
I can't say I saw it that way at all. He barely stepped into the opposition half except to get down the right and support Walcott, and even then he was extremely reluctant to overlap.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Looking at 21 year olds and seeing who will be the best CB at their peak is very trick. Vidic at 21, Rio at 21, they didn't look like the best in the world and future captains.

I have no idea if he's going to be a future captain, but he's obviously full of great potential.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
In what way?

Seriously, give me a for instance.
Even when he was a teenager he was issuing instructions to older and more experienced teammates. He is also clearly hugely driven, and hugely driven people make excellent leaders.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Looking at 21 year olds and seeing who will be the best CB at their peak is very trick. Vidic at 21, Rio at 21, they didn't look like the best in the world and future captains.

I have no idea if he's going to be a future captain, but he's obviously full of great potential.
Are you joking? Even a non-United fan I used to work with was calling him an England legend in the year he came to United, when he was only 23. We paid £30M for him over 10 years ago. That is a figure still pretty rare today.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Even when he was a teenager he was issuing instructions to older and more experienced teammates. He is also clearly hugely driven, and hugely driven people make excellent leaders.
Completely agreed, I don't see how you can't call him a leader, so mature for his age, so composed and seems to handle himself well in the media, and has what English people need for a captain... 'that never give up attitude' and the face's he pulls proves he should be captain :wenger:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Are you joking? Even a non-United fan I used to work with was calling him an England legend in the year he came to United, when he was only 23. We paid £30M for him over 10 years ago.
Agreed, Rio was touted as one of the potential world's best, not really an opinion...

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Are you joking? Even a non-United fan I used to work with was calling him an England legend in the year he came to United, when he was only 23. We paid £30M for him over 10 years ago. That is a figure still pretty rare today.
Then Rio is the exception. But you know what I mean.