Phil Jones Future | Reports: Observing United academy sessions

spiriticon

People keep talking about the need to rotate Maguire but you guys realise that if we do its THIS GUY that comes on and provides endless entertainment...for the opposition fans.

wolvored

Wasn't actually that bad individually yesterday, it's just obvious injuries totally reduced his potential.

Mad decision to whack him on such a long contract to "protect his value", but I guess the board simply see it as banking an English player and saving money.
That was madness though. Do they think he is suddenly going to become prime Vidic in 4 years time and sell him for £50-60 million? He has no value. He only plays as a last resort, and will bank about £20 million over the length of his contract. We would have been better letting him leave on a free or if someone was stupid enough to buy him.

peridigm

Is Rojo MIA or is he training? I'd rather we play him than Phil Jones if Maguire is out for a period.

Havak

Pokemon master
I do think someone was playing a joke when they got this guy into professional football. It can't have been serious all this time.

The guy would need a helmet and pads to eat soup ffs.

Paul_Scholes18

With Jones back we might finally keep clean sheets again ;). Remember we got 6/7 with him starting all games 2 years ago at the start of the season.
Although as expected he then got injured. My bet is he will be gone before we play Liverpool and miss the rest of the season.

mu4c_20le

Is Rojo MIA or is he training? I'd rather we play him than Phil Jones if Maguire is out for a period.
He's talking to clubs in the process of being sold. I guess the club made a decision to keep Jones because he's younger, and to bin Rojo and probably Bailly as well.

Paul_Scholes18

He's talking to clubs in the process of being sold. I guess the club made a decision to keep Jones because he's younger, and to bin Rojo and probably Bailly as well.
Why are we just looking to bloody sell. Bring someone in is what we need. It is like Ole and the Glaziers try to take us down to championship.

LJJT

He wasn’t that bad last night but him and lindelof are old enough and experienced enough to be able to take a bit of control and be able to bring the ball out and pass. They both just kept passing the buck to each other and they looked weak and just got over ran. I actually prefer jones to lindelof to be honest at least he gets stuck in. But then gets injured.

joedirt87

Bailly? Who ***?
Maguire hurt, Tuanzebe hurt, Rojo to be sold this month. if Lindelof gets hurt we will be suiting up with Jones and Bailly at CB, what a dream partnership. Carrick may have to suit up and play emergency CB with Matic.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I do think someone was playing a joke when they got this guy into professional football. It can't have been serious all this time.

At least he doesn't smash our own players training any more!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

The new duncan Edwards. We missed out on varane because we signed him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maguire hurt, Tuanzebe hurt, Rojo to be sold this month. if Lindelof gets hurt we will be suiting up with Jones and Bailly at CB, what a dream partnership. Carrick may have to suit up and play emergency CB with Matic.
Whenever i think of Carrick and centre back i think of a mad game where we played him fletcher and someone else as a three!

Plus marking and failing to stop Fellaini.

Plus letting Olic (?) for bayern rob him and score.

Not even sure the latter two were as centre back

peridigm

What was Tuanzebe’s injury record while on loan? Didn’t he just come back from a long spell out? Bailly is a crock as is Jones. You just know Jones will be injured as soon as he starts playing again. You can bet your house on it.

joedirt87

What was Tuanzebe’s injury record while on loan? Didn’t he just come back from a long spell out? Bailly is a crock as is Jones. You just know Jones will be injured as soon as he starts playing again. You can bet your house on it.
I think his first spell at Aston Villa was riddled with injuries, then last year he played really well for them but got injured down the stretch. And of course we actually need him and he has a chance to contribute this season so he's banged up again.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I was wondering this earlier as well, considering at the start of the season the buzz was he'd end the season as Maguire's partner he's been just as much a crock as any of them

Paul_Scholes18

Whenever i think of Carrick and centre back i think of a mad game where we played him fletcher and someone else as a three!

Plus marking and failing to stop Fellaini.

Plus letting Olic (?) for bayern rob him and score.

Not even sure the latter two were as centre back
Was that not the game we won against Wolfsburg 3-0 or something. Had pure crisis in defense, but still bloody won. Park as right back too or something like that. Shall look it up. Edit 3-1 with them and Evra as our defense. Owen with a hattrick.

DoomSlayer

Never forget this piece of footballing art. In 100 years time, they will be studying this in universities as part of the sports art curriculum..

DoomSlayer

Has anyone seen the picture of him, Sterling and I think it was Fred in some very weird battle for the ball? It was hilarious and worthy of a caption thread but I can't seem to find it.

The Bloody-Nine

Phil is so bad he instantly makes everyone around him even worse. It's remarkable. I still can't believe his contract was extended.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
he was genuinely pretty good when he was fit a few years ago. as a younger player he was putting up the numbers of a top young defensive prospect. fitness has always been his big problem, he would have been fine but he has missed way too much football to ever get back into the team as a main starter again. if we can get a fee for him this summer then maybe giving him that new deal wont look as stupid as it currently does...maybe....

Last edited:

redshaw

People keep talking about the need to rotate Maguire but you guys realise that if we do its THIS GUY that comes on and provides endless entertainment...for the opposition fans.
Smalling could've done that. He's good enough to challenge Lindelof, see how he does with Maguire. Mainly though it's a squad game. Smalling wasn't some ever present so he would've got a good amount of games this season. Ole told him he should leave as he won't be playing but big seasons in the top flight with injuries and suspensions say otherwise each year.

Instead on continually playing Maguire and Lindelof and being shit scared of plucking Jones from the stands he could've had a player to rotate with, that player won't be rusty, other players have recovery, your chance of success increases with better rotation and using a better squad. The club and Ole have hamstrung themselves and it's blew up in attack midfield and defence this season only half way through.

Point is we shouldn't have a rusty Jones to call upon while playing Maguire and Lindelof to death.

We've done the same to McTom. We have Pereira, Lingard and Jones on at the same time and City have a cake walk.

ravi2

Phil is so bad he instantly makes everyone around him even worse. It's remarkable. I still can't believe his contract was extended.
This guy has been a plague to our backline for years but some posters here wanted to keep him because he is 'homegrown' or whatever

Andrew Richmond

Phil Jones at his stage of his career needs to be playing on a regular basis. It is no fun sitting on the bench or not being in the match day squad altogether. Surely he has reached the point where he can afford to take a pay cut just so he can play some football. When fully fit and injury free I still think he is a decent player. He needs to find himself a club where he plays on a regular basis and life will be so much more enjoyable even if the pay packet if not quite as substantial.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was that not the game we won against Wolfsburg 3-0 or something. Had pure crisis in defense, but still bloody won. Park as right back too or something like that. Shall look it up. Edit 3-1 with them and Evra as our defense. Owen with a hattrick.
Was thinking more a horrible defeat at Fulham.