Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djemba-Djemba

The last contract he was given is one of the absolute stupidest decisions we've ever made.

It was clear in about 2016 he wasn't good enough so for him to still be here 5 years later is incredible.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good luck to him
A good lad, whose career has been littered with injuries. Not his fault and he doesn’t warrant the grief from some quarters. I hope that he can move on and rebuild somewhere where he will get a chance at regular playing time

SAFMUTD

Are we really sure we don't want to give him just another few seasons to be completely sure?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That deal doesn't happen without Oles approval. It was one of his first decisions.
Utter BS.
The extension was already being discussed whilst Mourinho was boss.
Even if Solskjaer had agreed to keep Jones, the length of contract and the value of salary has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with him.

Someone, was it Ed Woodward or Richard Arnold? gave an absolutely ridiculous contract out, and it wasted Millions of pounds.
Is there any other business that wouldn't have sacked that person?

Oldyella

A move would be best for all parties, but its a gamble for a lot of clubs given his wage and fitness issues. Come on Newcastle!

Zlatattack

Contract extension was the most baffling decision ever, even for our standards. Should have left years ago.
I agree, it was out of some dumb sense of loyalty maybe?

He needs to move on to get some game time and re-start his career.

Revan

Assumptionman
I might be in the minority here who really thought that when he was got and in form, Jones played at a very high level for us.

Of course the issue is his injury record, I wonder how much his recklessness led to some of those injuries. Injuries are usually the result of bad luck, but in the case of Jones I suspect he sabotaged himself with reckless.
Only in midfield when tasked with nullifying other players (for example against Real Madrid in 2013). He was okay in right-back and a total disaster as CB.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
At 100k a week, with 2 years left, we'll as a minimum end up paying half of that even if he goes on loan/seals a permanent move.

He's still trading on being a United player for now. The second he goes elsewhere the wages will drop off an absolute cliff.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It'll probably end with him leaving on free and us paying some percentage (like 30% or so) of his wages, where ever he goes.
More than that I'd imagine. He's on £5m a year and I cannot see him giving up much of that.

Paul_Scholes18

He was talented and had a few good years. The reason our stupid fans seem to hate him is a few reasons.

1 He is not as good as Rio and Vidic thus compared with our best defenders ever since he took over from them. All our defender suffer the same faith to a degree. but with Maguire it is mostly his high cost that we attack.
2 He is injured a lot.
3 He played under our worst managers and poor periods so they blame him for Moyes and LVG being shit etc.
4 he got a funny face at times which they see as him being poor.
5 the unlucky own goals, but yes also that he made a few errors though when in poor form.

The thing though is he was regular under some of our best defensive periods and periods with best results.
He had many top quality games as well.

The injuries ruined him though and I doubt he gets over them. Never rule it out in another club though.

Jericho

Best of luck to him. A run of fitness could see him having an Indian summer to his career in the same way that Evans has had. He’s a great footballer.
Unfortunately for him that's exactly what he isn't capable of and precisely the reason why he'd be let go.

Lee565

I wish him the best, I see no reason to bash the guy as I'm sure he never wished for his career at united to turn out the way it has and whenever he did have prolonged spell in the side he was actually very good for us and had the misfortune of being played in different positions over the past decade.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
How does a club even decide whether or not he's worth going for?

Is it not virtually impossible to gauge which level he can play at?

It could be the case that he can successfully operate in the Premier League but could genuinely also be true that his level is now entire divisions lower.

Red Comet

I still remembered him breaking through as a hot prospect at Blackburn, that sparked interest from Liverpool which prompted Sir Alex to quickly move to bring him over. I still remembered being ecstatic at him signing for us, much like me being excited by us signing any young players with great potential.

Sir Alex Ferguson gushing over him as the "next Duncan Edwards" may be over-hyping, but you can absolutely see where he was coming come. Phil Jones brought energy, enthusiasm and no shortage of abilities in CD, RB or even DM role which was asked of him. I still remembered that match v.s Real where he was being tasked with shackling Ronaldo, who is very much in his pomp, whilst still playing whatever his position required. He was relentless. I recalled thinking what a player we have on our hands.

Too bad his injuries did him in, and his meme-able face made him the butt of jokes. I think it is no accident that consecutive managers such as LvG or Mourinho, who are great managers in their own right and has worked with plenty of great players before, still see the player in him underneath his disastrous injury record and ok-ed the contract extension.

I'm hoping he is doing his UEFA Coaching license - he along with De Gea are not what we need in the team right now but they present our last playing (ironic) connection to the success of Sir Alex's era. He might still be able to play a Paul McShane role as some sort of coaching/"playing" position within the club on reduced salary.

lex talionis

I have no problem with the Jones bashing here. I won't engage in it myself but I understand where it's coming from. Jones might have been unlucky with some of his injuries, but he didn't take care of himself in matches and in training and he ended up in the physioroom out of recklessness as much as bad luck.

Best wishes to him. Like Smalling, it might be best for him personally to join a club in outside of England.

Dante

Average bang
I still remembered him breaking through as a hot prospect at Blackburn, that sparked interest from Liverpool which prompted Sir Alex to quickly move to bring him over. I still remembered being ecstatic at him signing for us, much like me being excited by us signing any young players with great potential.

Sir Alex Ferguson gushing over him as the "next Duncan Edwards" may be over-hyping, but you can absolutely see where he was coming come. Phil Jones brought energy, enthusiasm and no shortage of abilities in CD, RB or even DM role which was asked of him. I still remembered that match v.s Real where he was being tasked with shackling Ronaldo, who is very much in his pomp, whilst still playing whatever his position required. He was relentless. I recalled thinking what a player we have on our hands.

Too bad his injuries did him in, and his meme-able face made him the butt of jokes. I think it is no accident that consecutive managers such as LvG or Mourinho, who are great managers in their own right and has worked with plenty of great players before, still see the player in him underneath his disastrous injury record and ok-ed the contract extension.

I'm hoping he is doing his UEFA Coaching license - he along with De Gea are not what we need in the team right now but they present our last playing (ironic) connection to the success of Sir Alex's era. He might still be able to play a Paul McShane role as some sort of coaching/"playing" position within the club on reduced salary.
Alex Ferguson played him every game he was fit, and compared him to Duncan Edwards.

Fabio Capello played him regularly for England, and compared him to Franco Baresi.

Jose Mourinho played him every game he was fit as well.

Basically, the three managers who built Europe's three best defences before the current Atletico Madrid backline (United 2007-2013, AC Milan 1991-1996 and Chelsea 2004-2007) all loved Phil Jones. He was a top player who got ruined by injuries.

Eugenius

Alex Ferguson played him every game he was fit, and compared him to Duncan Edwards.

Fabio Capello played him regularly for England, and compared him to Franco Baresi.

Jose Mourinho played him every game he was fit as well.

Basically, the three managers who built Europe's three best defences before the current Atletico Madrid backline (United 2007-2013, AC Milan 1991-1996 and Chelsea 2004-2007) all loved Phil Jones. He was a top player who got ruined by injuries.
This is accurate, but the caf's memory span is about 10 games maximum.

Hammondo

He was talented and had a few good years. The reason our stupid fans seem to hate him is a few reasons.

1 He is not as good as Rio and Vidic thus compared with our best defenders ever since he took over from them. All our defender suffer the same faith to a degree. but with Maguire it is mostly his high cost that we attack.
2 He is injured a lot.
3 He played under our worst managers and poor periods so they blame him for Moyes and LVG being shit etc.
4 he got a funny face at times which they see as him being poor.
5 the unlucky own goals, but yes also that he made a few errors though when in poor form.

The thing though is he was regular under some of our best defensive periods and periods with best results.
He had many top quality games as well.

The injuries ruined him though and I doubt he gets over them. Never rule it out in another club though.
He wasn't talented though.

Chief123

Yeah money = happiness right? Somebody should tell all those well-off people who committed suicide. Prick.
What a great moderator you are. Calling people a prick because you are touchy about Phil Jones. Sort your life out mate.

red thru&thru

Hope we do this and he can resurrect his remaining playing career.

All who are being negative towards are just shallow low lives.

Chief123

I think fans anger regarding Phil Jones is probably being channeled to the wrong person. He’s had a terrible career overall at Utd with a few good moments.

The fault lies with the board for making ridiculous decisions like giving him a 5 year contract when he clearly wasn’t going to be in the clubs long term plans due to injuries and lack of consistency. Phil Jones is obviously going to accept the offer and probably couldn’t believe his luck. The stupidity lies with the club and not Phil Jones.

I genuinely wish him good luck wherever he goes and if he can remain fit he’ll be a solid centre back just like Johnny Evans proved himself.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d love to see him stay fit for a season somewhere else, just to see what he’s capable of. Could see him doing well for Brighton or someone like that.

Robbie Boy

It would be great if he could somehow revieve his career elsewhere. He looked great here during his early years.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Remember the first games with him bombing forward kamikaze style. Shame with all the injuries! What could have been..

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What a great moderator you are. Calling people a prick because you are touchy about Phil Jones. Sort your life out mate.
I’m touchy about people’s dangerous attitude to mental health actually mate and that specific poster has a track record of toxicity in threads. He has also had 4 previous warnings for poor quality/inflammatory posting.

Excuse me whilst I sort my entire life out because I *checks notes* called someone a name on a forum.

Chief123

I’m touchy about people’s dangerous attitude to mental health actually mate and that specific poster has a track record of toxicity in threads. He has also had 4 previous warnings for poor quality/inflammatory posting.

Excuse me whilst I sort my entire life out because I *checks notes* called someone a name on a forum.
That’s still not a licence to call someone a prick though is it? I’ve no idea who the poster is.

mu4c_20le

There used to be a time when you'd get punished simply for insulting a United player. Now it's all about poster power.

Bwuk

I feel sorry for Jones. Does anyone honestly think he’s wanted to spend his career injured?

He had all the talent he needed to play at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.