Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

Not sure why it's taken about 6 years of injuries for the penny to drop.....should have been shipped out years ago.

hobbers

Pretty sure even if we wanted to cancel his contract it has to be a mutual decision, unless we pay him the £5m or whatever he'd be due over this season.

And is any club out there going to take him on a free and offer him wages close enough to the £100k a week he's getting to sit around Carrington?

Reiver

There were a couple of games, probably when played in midfield, when he seemed to have it all - good in defence and bringing the ball forward with authority. Back then, I maybe even thought he would go some way towards replacing Keane. How wrong I was.
Despite it all, I like the guy. I hope we move him on, but I also wish him well.

OmarUnited4ever

i hope he regains his fitness and finds a club where he gets to play games, hopefully somewhere away from England and away from all the noise , feel bad for him, as he suffered countless injuries that ruined his career.

OverratedOpinion

He has a hell of a lot of talent, I would not be shocked at all to see him become a very valuable asset for a Premier League club. If he is willing to accept a reasonable wage he would be one of my first signings as a promoted club.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He has a hell of a lot of talent, I would not be shocked at all to see him become a very valuable asset for a Premier League club. If he is willing to accept a reasonable wage he would be one of my first signings as a promoted club.
No premier league team will touch Mr. Glass. He is worse than Hargreaves and that is saying something.

Also he HAD a lot of talent 10 years ago. He doesn’t anymore.

OverratedOpinion

Well I haven’t. There is a first time for everything.
Which is why I called you unoriginal rather than repetitive.

Fyi talent is not something that you can really lose. Maybe something that can be prevented from expression due to your own actions or circumstances.

RDCR07

Which is why I called you unoriginal rather than repetitive.

Fyi talent is not something that you can really lose. Maybe something that can be prevented from expression due to your own actions or circumstances.
Overtime if you don’t play you will regress. If he continued to play every week he wouldn’t have regressed this much but that talent you speak isn’t there anymore. He will be a touch slower if he plays now and that’s all the difference is between a great clearance and poor defending.

OverratedOpinion

Overtime if you don’t play you will regress. If he continued to play every week he wouldn’t have regressed this much but that talent you speak isn’t there anymore. He will be a touch slower if he plays now and that’s all the difference is between a great clearance and poor defending.
You are saying that his sharpness and physicality will regress. You are agreeing with me without knowing it.

RDCR07

You are saying that his sharpness and physicality will regress. You are agreeing with me without knowing it.
DAFAQ? You don’t keep calling someone talented if they don’t live up to their talent. Quaresma for example was very talented when he was 20. You still don’t call him talented after he turns 30. He was at one point. He isn’t now.

OverratedOpinion

DAFAQ? You don’t keep calling someone talented if they don’t live up to their talent. Quaresma for example was very talented when he was 20. You still don’t call him talented after he turns 30. He was at one point. He isn’t now.
Quaresma had a shit ton of talent at every age. I wonder if you know what talent actually means.

Have you ever heard the expression "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"?

There is a reason that the expression is not "talent goes away when talent doesn't work hard". That reason is the literal definition of talent.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I think a PL club will give him short term deal to prove his fitness. Hope it works out for him, if somehow he can regain fitness he will be very good for mid tier side IMO

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Alex Ferguson played him every game he was fit, and compared him to Duncan Edwards.

Fabio Capello played him regularly for England, and compared him to Franco Baresi.

Jose Mourinho played him every game he was fit as well.

Basically, the three managers who built Europe's three best defences before the current Atletico Madrid backline (United 2007-2013, AC Milan 1991-1996 and Chelsea 2004-2007) all loved Phil Jones. He was a top player who got ruined by injuries.
Well said

Jericho

I feel sorry for Jones. Does anyone honestly think he’s wanted to spend his career injured?

He had all the talent he needed to play at the top.
No. I don't hate him or anything, but it's hard to muster up much sympathy for someone who is much better off than most people ever will be.
If he has mental health issues that another story, but I'm not aware that he does. On the face of it he's someone getting the guts of a hundred grand a week not to play football. Most people would be very envious of that position.

stevoc

Out of curiosity, has he currently still got an injury?
No one at the club is really saying anything specific about it but statistically speaking there's a good chance he has.

stevoc

At 100k a week, with 2 years left, we'll as a minimum end up paying half of that even if he goes on loan/seals a permanent move.

He's still trading on being a United player for now. The second he goes elsewhere the wages will drop off an absolute cliff.
I think that's fair enough that we pay it as no forced the club to offer him such a long contract that reportedly even his agents were surprised at the length of. And hopefully it serves as a lesson to the club about handing out contracts to injury prone players in the future.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is kind of like Bailly where you feel the way he plays leads him to cause himself Injuries.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Hopefully he's fit and capable now, ready to go somewhere and play some football. I genuinely think he had the makings of a decent player in there but the injuries absolutely fecked him, and the contract extensions were mental.

Seems a decent lad, if he can stay fit he may go on to have somewhat of a decent career, but not at Utd at this stage.

MrBest

Wish this guy the best of luck. Really talented but one of the most unluckiest players with injuries, form and consistency. He must be late 20s now, surely a mid table team would take a punt, a good shot for the championship or prem relegation scrappers. Personally and if I was him, i would go France or Italy for a less intense game where he can play and have less of a risk to be injured. Good luck Jones, ill never forget your all at all costs tackles, whether you crawled to get the ball or just threw your body on the line.

frostbite

Quaresma had a shit ton of talent at every age. I wonder if you know what talent actually means.

Have you ever heard the expression "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"?

There is a reason that the expression is not "talent goes away when talent doesn't work hard". That reason is the literal definition of talent.
talent = natural aptitude or skill

You can lose "natural aptitude" and "skill" with time (and age). You can lose talent.

There are plenty of talented 20-year old footballers who are not talented at 35.

Mylock

I feel Jones will leave United with a lot of regrets. When we signed him, he was an outstanding talent, a great defender with all the talent to replace Vidic for the next ten years. Unfortunately, due to injuries, he lost his way years ago. He should have moved on before he signed his last contract, just like Evans. On the other hand, if I were offered a 4 1/2 year contract after his injury record, I would probably jump at it. I feel the contract renewal was badly managed; he should have been let moved on before the last contact and not offered a new one. It's not too late for him if he got a bit of luck as he's still only 29, but it's hard to see too many clubs willing to take the gamble. I read a great interview with him last year in The athletic in which he came across as a very nice guy that was very disappointed how it has all turned out for him; I wish him luck on the next chapter in his career as he hadn't too much with us.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Remember when he man marked Ronaldo out of the game at the Bernabeu? that's what I wish we could remember Phil Jones for.

Instead it'll the meme faces and silly head tackles.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Alex Ferguson played him every game he was fit, and compared him to Duncan Edwards.

Fabio Capello played him regularly for England, and compared him to Franco Baresi.

Jose Mourinho played him every game he was fit as well.

Basically, the three managers who built Europe's three best defences before the current Atletico Madrid backline (United 2007-2013, AC Milan 1991-1996 and Chelsea 2004-2007) all loved Phil Jones. He was a top player who got ruined by injuries.
Good post. Great managers rated him but of course he was never talented in the first place. :rolleyes:

sp_107

unlucky with injuries, cant blame him. Talent wise he was good no question about that. lot better than Baily / Lindelof.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Pretty sure even if we wanted to cancel his contract it has to be a mutual decision, unless we pay him the £5m or whatever he'd be due over this season.

And is any club out there going to take him on a free and offer him wages close enough to the £100k a week he's getting to sit around Carrington?
Ive never understood this, surely a contract is an agreement between two parties, we agree to pay him, he agrees to play football. If he is unable to fulfil his side of the agreement why are we liable for ours?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He was there for the signing ceremony. I think Ole has more of a say now than when he was new in the job.

The thing is, it makes perfect sense for a suit that's looked at some numbers to give him a contract and very little for a street smart footballer that knows the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.