Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nogbadthebad

I like phil jones.

I've seen far more talented players do far less for the club - di maria for instance.

Jones gave his all on the pitch every time he played, can't ask for more from anyone.

Its up to management to get players good enough, if hes picked, its down to them. He can only do what he can do.

Heading the ball on the floor gif sums him up. A proper footballer willing to do anything he can.

Injuries ruined him, and I think a change of scenery will do him good.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ah yes, how on earth have they been able to survive on £100,000 a week for the last few years. Let's start a gofundme page for him.
Yeah money = happiness right? Somebody should tell all those well-off people who committed suicide. Prick.

lex talionis

I might be in the minority here who really thought that when he was got and in form, Jones played at a very high level for us.

Of course the issue is his injury record, I wonder how much his recklessness led to some of those injuries. Injuries are usually the result of bad luck, but in the case of Jones I suspect he sabotaged himself with reckless.

Yeah money = happiness right? Somebody should tell all those well-off people who committed suicide. Prick.
Not sure why you’re allowed to use this word when other members have had warnings for using similar words.

CM

I think even Jones must want out at this stage. Even if he puts his injuries behind him there's no way back for him here

Jordan_mufc

Well, a 4 year contract at 100,000 a week is still nearly £21 million. I'm sure he (as well as a lot of players earning big money) have some creative accounting going on for tax purposes, his family will be fine I'm sure.
Very generalised comment for someone who knows nothing about Jones' financial situation. Maybe a lot of money is tied up in assets, who knows.

Either way, you're just being a bit of a spiteful eejit with your comment.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Best of luck to him. A run of fitness could see him having an Indian summer to his career in the same way that Evans has had. He’s a great footballer.

Lets have it right he's not been at United for months now, not a single sighting of him entering the training facility.

They won't get rid that easy mark my words. He's gonna dig his heals in.
That's smart management by Ole. Jones has no future at the club and will probably be fairly negative presence, we don't want that hanging around the club when we're trying to create a winning mentality.

I genuinely can't see who would take him. He's good enough for a low end PL team or a Championship side, but who of those can afford to pay his salary knowing he will probably spend most of the season injured.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I don't blame Phil Jones. If I get the same money I am getting for not doing anything, I will always choose that

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I feel really sorry for Jones, some players just get completely derailed with one injury after the other. I have no problem with him still being on our books as he has every right to try to get back to fitness with us.

However, it would be better for him if he could get some playing time on a regular basis, at a club where the schedule/media scrutiny isn't so onerous. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of professional footballers actually want to play whilst they still can, and he's never looked like a shirker to me.

Thiagoal

Don’t want to be pessimistic but why would he leave such a lucrative contract? No other team will offer him as good terms and tbh I doubt he’d pass a medical.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
We never should have extended his deal, but he was mostly a good player when fit. Particularly early on in his career, both at Blackburn and then with us. He had a spell a couple of years back where he was playing well too, I think even Southgate called him the best centre back in the league during that time.

I hope he can claw back some of his career and have 3 or 4 good years of playing in the PL or the Championship.

He'd have to take a paycut though. A player who just wants to play football would surely be willing to do that. But maybe he's happy to keep picking up his United salary. Couldn't really blame him for that either.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He'd be a good CB for any mid table team if he can gain fitness, which has always been his major issue.

He's clearly good enough as CB at PL level.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
People need to stop this stupid belief that everyone must be right as rain because they have money. It doesn’t work like that.

spaceboyRSA

What an abomination of a signing.
So much anger. I think you need to go and do some yoga or something.

Not an abomination of a signing at all. Not his fault he got offered the contract he got offered. Also had some really bad luck with injuries. Yes he should have been let go a few years ago- but that was Uniteds fault more than his.

RedDevilRoshi

Best for all parties to call it an end now. Good luck to him if this indeed the case. Doesn’t deserve some of these toxic comments from some of these morons in our fanbase.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
People need to stop this stupid belief that everyone must be right as rain because they have money. It doesn’t work like that.
Yeah look at all those people with plenty of money who can't get a ps5 right now and tell me they should be happy.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
From his point of view I wonder what he'd do if he was offered a pay as you play deal elsewhere? Take it in an attempt to get his career back on track (assuming he's now fit and just doesn't fit in our plans) or continue to just pick up a guaranteed pay check here for the remainder of his contract?

MrSingh2002

That's smart management by Ole. Jones has no future at the club and will probably be fairly negative presence, we don't want that hanging around the club when we're trying to create a winning mentality.

I genuinely can't see who would take him. He's good enough for a low end PL team or a Championship side, but who of those can afford to pay his salary knowing he will probably spend most of the season injured.
Smart management would have been not giving him that 4 year deal when he first came in. Oles biggest blunder so far.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Smart management would have been not giving him that 4 year deal when he first came in. Oles biggest blunder so far.
You really believe that is Ole's blunder?

The club have been "protecting transfer values' for years and it's literally never worked.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's been an unfortunate saga for all involved. I've nothing against Phil personally but I'll be glad when he's left United, as I hope he also will be.

Well i give Ole the benefit of the doubt on that one. Maybe he wasn't settled enough to cut him loose at that stage.

pascal83

He definitely needs a new challenge. Would be amazing, if he could find a new club to restart his career in this transfer window. Just the best!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
That deal doesn't happen without Oles approval. It was one of his first decisions.
Ole didn't become permanent manager until around 7 weeks after Jones extended.

I find it difficult to believe that a club as big as United would get 'approval' from an interim manager when said club has a track record of extended contracts left right and centre and subsequently briefing the press every summer linking these players to clubs like Everton, West Ham and Newcastle.

The pattern is too obvious. It's far more likely that the contracts were to 'preserve the transfer value' whilst giving Ole the extra squad options every team needs.

Gandalf

That deal doesn't happen without Oles approval. It was one of his first decisions.
The deal was agreed with his agent when Ole was a few weeks into his caretaker stint, negotiations began when Jose was manager. Feel free to blame Ole for all kinds of stuff he has been involved in but his sole involvement in this was to go to a photo session for the contract announcement and make a few cliched remarks to the United reporters about Phil being a great servant and proven winner etc. This one is all on Woodward.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Ole didn't become permanent manager until around 7 weeks after Jones extended.

I find it difficult to believe that a club as big as United would get 'approval' from an interim manager when said club has a track record of extended contracts left right and centre and subsequently briefing the press every summer linking these players to clubs like Everton, West Ham and Newcastle.

The pattern is too obvious. It's far more likely that the contracts were to 'preserve the transfer value' whilst giving Ole the extra squad options every team needs.
That’s exactly what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.