Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He should have given up his shirt number to Varane. He is well, well down the pecking order now and getting paid a wage he doesn’t deserve. He should have been prepared to pick up a squad number and been more humble about his current position within the squad.
You actually believe that report?

DevTheRed

Very harsh from Rio. If he had the attitude of someone like let’s say Balotelli I’d get it.. but I don’t doubt for a second that Jones hasn’t committed to trying to get back on track, even with all the trolls and critics.

Once upon a time he was one of England’s brightest young stars and when he first came in had some very good games for us at CB, RB and some decent ones at DM. Had it not been for constant injuries who knows how good he might’ve been.

Just as a side note Hargreaves had potentially even more problems with injuries but didn't receive anywhere near as much abuse as Jones has, strange.

SATA

That’s poor and silly from Rio. They were former teammates and even won titles together under Fergie, least you could do is give Phil a bit of respect and talk about it after he leaves United

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
"If I was in the squad with someone like that I wouldn’t talk to them. They are a waste of time, why would I chat to you and give you any energy, taking that away from my other teammates who are here to play and go into battle for 90 minutes every week."

Brutal
What a twat. Rio that is

mu4c_20le

Rio basically just admitted that he doesn't know what's going on, but IF he was fit all this time blah blah blah.. seems like poor form from the guy under a bunch of assumptions.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Reminds me of Rodwell (or Gibson?) in "Sunderland 'til I Die". Permanently injured, big wage, but no intention of going anywhere. Roll up to training every day, collect the wage, can't be sacked. As is his right, if I were in his position with no football career left after this contract I'd ride it out and make the most money I can for life after football instead of taking a huge pay cut to go somewhere else.

But fans are allowed to think he's a waste of space too.

stevoc

What a twat. Rio that is
Rio's words were harsh no doubt but he's only saying what a lot of fans are thinking. And he's obviously mostly speaking in hypotheticals as someone outside looking in.

Maybe it'll motivate Jones prove him wrong either at United or elsewhere.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There have been loads of times where the club haven't given any information about why Jones has been out. I think the lack of transparency does not do him any favours. Also as the other poster there said, it might be similar to the Rodwell situation where the player has no intention of leaving. In that case, Rio is right. Jones has been fit all summer but you haven't heard a pip about any transfer.
If I worked with someone that doesn't contribute anything, I would have a hard time relating with that person. I think it's normal.

RedDevil@84

"To be fair to Phil Jones, I’ve not seen him come out and speak and clarify, he might have had injuries we don’t know about. But if he’s been fit and has been sitting there like he has been, sign a new deal and stay and not go out on loan… that’s not what a footballer wants to do.

"If I was in the squad with someone like that I wouldn’t talk to them. They are a waste of time, why would I chat to you and give you any energy, taking that away from my other teammates who are here to play and go into battle for 90 minutes every week."

Doesn't make any sense. If Rio doesn't know s**t, like what he says in the first couple of lines, then he should keep his trap shut, rather than go on a rant like what he does in the next 2 lines.

edcunited1878

Not sure why Saha is getting compared to Jones. He was already injury prone before signing for United, yet played matches and performed well whenever he was fit for a few years. Jones has been at United for years and years, 10 years and 224 appearances.

Hargreaves was a vital player for United during their European double and scored a penalty in the CL shootout. He was crocked before and then during United and after. He was desperate to play again and thats why he tried a comeback at City. He doesn't fit the Jones hate narrative.

Jones...something is up with him and I think the club is protecting him. I cannot understand why he cannot just retire and the club takes care of his health insurance or something. If people at the club genuine believe he has something to give to the team, I really hope he is paid very low wages and has appearance bonuses attached to his contract.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Just as a side note Hargreaves had potentially even more problems with injuries but didn't receive anywhere near as much abuse as Jones has, strange.
Hargreaves was much more talented, and he did a lot more than Jones ever done at this club in the 1.5 years he was fit, hence why we had some hope on him coming back strong, whereas Jones has done nothing wordy of remembrance, Yes he was part of a title winning team how much did he contribute?

Real Name

Not the smartest thing to say for Rio.

Saying all that it is a strange situation all in all.

R'hllor

If people want to pissed at someone, dont look at Jones, look at Ole and those above him who gave a green light and offered new contract.

UncleBob

"To be fair to Phil Jones, I’ve not seen him come out and speak and clarify, he might have had injuries we don’t know about. But if he’s been fit and has been sitting there like he has been, sign a new deal and stay and not go out on loan… that’s not what a footballer wants to do.

Doesn't make any sense. If Rio doesn't know s**t, like what he says in the first couple of lines, then he should keep his trap shut, rather than go on a rant like what he does in the next 2 lines.
Rio makes Gary Neville sound intelligent.

El Zoido

I think the club has taken the stance that we have a guy that’s clearly suffering physically and potentially mentally too, and it would be unbelievably scummy to drop him on his arse. The fans don’t like him because he’s dead weight, but to people within the club he’s a friend and colleague. He’s not guaranteed to find a new club, if he’s out of contract, not with his injury record. I’m sure the club would support a transfer for him, but letting his contract run down and releasing him would be poor form imo.

golden_blunder

Staff
Rio's words were harsh no doubt but he's only saying what a lot of fans are thinking. And he's obviously mostly speaking in hypotheticals as someone outside looking in.

He’s obviously parroting what he’s read on social media etc but I thought he had a bit more class than that. Disappointed in him

UncleBob

There's a bit of a difference between our fans being morons online and Rio Ferdinand being a moron and calling a player out

Mike Smalling

If people want to pissed at someone, dont look at Jones, look at Ole and those above him who gave a green light and offered new contract.
Exactly. Obviously Phil Jones will think/hope that he can get fit again and turn around his career at United, so he shouldn't turn down a lucrative contract to stay. It is the job of the manager to be ruthless and weigh the costs with the expected benefits. In this case the costs quite obviously outweigh the benefits, so he shouldn't have gotten an offer.

I think the club has taken the stance that we have a guy that’s clearly suffering physically and potentially mentally too, and it would be unbelievably scummy to drop him on his arse. The fans don’t like him because he’s dead weight, but to people within the club he’s a friend and colleague. He’s not guaranteed to find a new club, if he’s out of contract, not with his injury record. I’m sure the club would support a transfer for him, but letting his contract run down and releasing him would be poor form imo.
I'm sorry, but that is a loser mentality. It is not the clubs responsibility to support a player with massive wages because he is having a rough time. Those resources should be directed towards players that can help us win trophies. Phil Jones has already made a small fortune at the club, and even though it might be mentally tough to be injured and potentially end his career prematurely he will still have opportunities going forward in media, coaching, etc. There are other ways the club can help him even after his contract had run out - like letting him train with the squad to stay fit, continuing to use our physios, etc.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Rio's never so harsh on anyone. If he feels the need to say that, it probably means he either has intel that Phil is lacking ambition or he wants him to show some to save his career. Phil is still only 29 and considering how little mileage he has on his legs, he could play for a good 5 years in the right situation.

flappyjay

I hate that we Hand out ridiculous contracts but that being said once it has been signed I don't blame the players for getting what's due to them. In these situations I side with Phil Jones, umtiti and whoever else got handed a stupid contract. Same with Bale when everyone said he should leave 30m a year behind to show his "hunger and love for the game".

flappyjay

Rio's never so harsh on anyone. If he feels the need to say that, it probably means he either has intel that Phil is lacking ambition or he wants him to show some to save his career. Phil is still only 29 and considering how little mileage he has on his legs, he could play for a good 5 years in the right situation.
His injuries mean he is legs are nearer to retirement than those of 36 year old Ronaldo. This is the best contract he will ever get its time to save up for Mr Jones.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's good to know that if I was employed at most of your guys job - that I would hardly have to do my job for 10 years, not turning up alot of the time & I would still get your love alongside the pay.

devips

Some of these Jones haters here are not only morons but also burdened with the memory of a caterpiller, questioning the contribution of the player for his club and his country.

I will be so happy when United extends his contract for a further period of 5 years!

mu4c_20le

:lol: think you are giving him too much credit. This is the guy who allegedly started leaking insider info when Moyes took away his chips.

Lights Out

Exactly my thoughts too.
Rio has even said recently that he still has contact with players at the club so I’d be surprised if these comments are without any kind of foundation.
I think some United fans look back at Jones’ United career with rose-tinted specs. I have never seen anything in him that warrants such a lengthy career at a top club and you can literally count the amount of good games he’s had on one hand.
The rest of the time he’s been the epitome of a liability.

Onerealunited

Very harsh from Rio. If he had the attitude of someone like let’s say Balotelli I’d get it.. but I don’t doubt for a second that Jones hasn’t committed to trying to get back on track, even with all the trolls and critics.

Once upon a time he was one of England’s brightest young stars and when he first came in had some very good games for us at CB, RB and some decent ones at DM. Had it not been for constant injuries who knows how good he might’ve been.

Yes but the problem is that Jones has been here for 10 years. Hargreaves came later and went away sooner

stevoc

He’s obviously parroting what he’s read on social media etc but I thought he had a bit more class than that. Disappointed in him
Probably though he might have some inside info, who knows. It seems strange for him to talk about Jones sitting on a contract while being fit when he has been injured according to the club.

There's a bit of a difference between our fans being morons online and Rio Ferdinand being a moron and calling a player out
Rio is just a fan these days and he makes a living from offering opinions on football. I would expect nothing less than half baked opinions on most subjects from any pundit. He was harsh on Phil maybe unnecessarily so but it does make you think what does he know that the rest of us don't.

R'hllor

Likely had nothing to do with it.
Nonsense, selling Afro = all Ole protector of United way, extending contract to Jones = Ole had no idea, yea Ed went behind his back and didnt ask Ole about it before putting papers on the table, sure. Imagine if that really happened, dunno which scenario is worse look for Ole.

golden_blunder

Staff
Nonsense, selling Afro = all Ole protector of United way, extending contract to Jones = Ole had no idea, yea Ed went behind his back and didnt ask Ole about it before putting papers on the table, sure. Imagine if that really happened, dunno which scenario is worse look for Ole.
:confused:

stevoc

Jones signed a new deal in february 2019 Solskjaer at the time was only a caretaker manager. Was he asked about Jones I'm sure he was but it wouldn't have been his decision.

Plus at that point in time I doubt any manager would have been against Jones getting a new deal. And the manager, any manager including Ferguson doesn't decide or negotiate contract lengths. Which is the main problem with Jones contract, he should have been given nothing more than a 2 year deal.

R'hllor

Jones signed a new deal in february 2019 Solskjaer at the time was only a caretaker manager. Was he asked about Jones I'm sure he was but it wouldn't have been his decision.

Plus at that point in time I doubt any manager would have been against Jones getting a new deal. And the manager, any manager including Ferguson doesn't decide or negotiate contract lengths. Which is the main problem with Jones contract, he should have been given nothing more than a 2 year deal.
Officially he was caretaker at the time but he was cemented as permanent role after few wins, talk about him planning our pre season started and all other stuff, if that wasnt the case, they would review his reign at the end of season how it was planned and not giving him full time job in middle of 2nd half. If he was against it heavy, Jones would never land a new contract, last thing they would want is to go against Ole at the time.

Doubt any manager would be against him getting a new deal? Thats a good one and also no, lenght never was a main problem with Jones contract, main problem is him gettting a new deal of any kind, it was a slam dunk to release him for free and they didnt do it.

golden_blunder

Staff
I’m glad all the cafites have brilliant hindsight

maybe with hindsight they should insist that all coaching and management staff have hindsight

Status
Not open for further replies.