Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
11 appearances in the 13 league games immediately beforehand, including 9 full 90s, and off the back of being in England's 2018 World Cup squad. So, yes, he was a first choice CB at the time.

Yes, anyone offended by his comments is a loser.

All he's said is "the people giving me shit online will still be wasting their time giving people shit online long after I've retired into a comfortable life" and people have somehow distorted that into "Phil Jones hates the poor."
At no point in 2019 is Phil Jones, ever, EVER the first choice CB for MUFC. I'd go so far as to say he has never been first choice CB at his time at the club.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’ll tell you what’s fascinating, the fact we can’t say a bad word about Phil Jones but we are allowed to slag our manager off tactically and personally in every thread.

I wish the manager got an ounce of the protection Phil gets. He gets more protection than the Panda’s does Phil.
Oles not injured. That’s my beef. How can he be sitting on the bench ‘rinsing’ money if he’s actually had a career threatening injury and doing his best to make a comeback from that. I wish they’d sometimes read the facts before going all keyboard warrior

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I'm sure no one has said this already so I will: It's not Phil Jones' fault he's under contract. Football contracts are a gamble anyway, as any contracts are. But more so because of the nature of the business.

Do you want him to rip it up and return the money? I don't even know what's going on in this thread.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Maybe my memory is indeed failing me but I could have swore that Jones & smalling formed a first team partnership at some stages
It was Van Gaal's preferred partnership for quite a while, certainly before he turned Blind into a CB. So '14/15 I think?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm sure no one has said this already so I will: It's not Phil Jones' fault he's under contract. Football contracts are a gamble anyway, as any contracts are. But more so because of the nature of the business.

Do you want him to rip it up and return the money? I don't even know what's going on in this thread.
- people don’t like Phil Jones he should be retired because he hasn’t played for ages
- people don’t like Phil Jones because he has attacked pant wearing, basement living, pot noodle wearers
- people don’t like pot noodles because Phil Jones brought them up
- we’ve discovered that one poster who took it to heart is a “big deal”. Whatever that means

VanDeBank

Ma’am
So even if it were a handful of games he was still FIRST choice
Oh yeah, absolutely. He clearly rated him over Rojo and Evans.

This is exactly what they demanded of him. They're upset because Phil called them out.

Are Inter "fans" demanding en masse for Eriksen to shred his contract?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The comment he made was just daft. It is silky to look down on; living in your mums basement and drinking flat Pepsi (only when you threw abuse of me). You just offend a bunch of people who live that reality and have nothing to do to with it for no reason.

He could have easily criticised these people, because some of the abuse they threw at him and his family was vile, but it just isnt a very clever comment to make.

VivaRonaldo85

The Times article was interesting and fair play to Jones for opening up. He’s clearly had a dreadful spell with this knee condition.

My take outs were now I can see why he’s still at the club having suffered the exact same condition as the manager. You can imagine Ole thinking Sir Alex stuck by me so I’ll stick by Phil. Secondly, what were our medical staff doing in the ‘medical’ when we signed him? If there was a semblance of this crippling knee condition, I just wish the medical staff had picked this up. I’m only assuming this couldn’t be picked up at the time.

Mentality Monsters

The Times article was interesting and fair play to Jones for opening up. He’s clearly had a dreadful spell with this knee condition.

My take outs were now I can see why he’s still at the club having suffered the exact same condition as the manager. You can imagine Ole thinking Sir Alex stuck by me so I’ll stick by Phil. Secondly, what were our medical staff doing in the ‘medical’ when we signed him? If there was a semblance of this crippling knee condition, I just wish the medical staff had picked this up. I’m only assuming this couldn’t be picked up at the time.
If our medical staff couldn't pick up what was the crumbling remains of Hargreaves knee, then it doesn't surprise me.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
At no point in 2019 is Phil Jones, ever, EVER the first choice CB for MUFC. I'd go so far as to say he has never been first choice CB at his time at the club.
I mean, apart from the period in 2018/19 I've just pointed you when he definitely was first choice, yes, Phil Jones was not first choice in 2018/19.

He was also very much considered first choice after Rio and Vidic went.

RUCK4444

How has he not been specific? He has literally used the phrase ‘keyboard warriors’. That does not imply any notion of class, financial situation or employment status.

The article then goes on to talk about internet trolling specifically.

In the short time I’ve been an active member on the forum I have valued your posts because you are generally one of the more level headed and reasonable posters amongst the knee jerking, hyperbole and straw clutching but I can‘t help but feel you are way off the mark here.
Thanks, I’m glad you got a like, something good can at least come of this! :D

Listen, I think he inadvertently brought up issues such as class and lifestyle which, whether he likes it or not, fly in the face of the fact he’s in a far more privileged position. Not to mention it has nothing to do whatsoever with the trolls he’s trying to talk about.

You can’t generalise these idiots behind a keyboard, they will be from all walks of life, so to say what he did made no sense and brings up unrelated topics and potentially offends people who hold no opinion on the matter.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The comment he made was just daft. It is silky to look down on; living in your mums basement and drinking flat Pepsi (only when you threw abuse of me). You just offend a bunch of people who live that reality and have nothing to do to with it for no reason.

He could have easily criticised these people, because some of the abuse they threw at him and his family was vile, but it just isnt a very clever comment to make.
You expect him to be aware of the housing crises while he's trying to diss internet trolls? He's not on a message board, he can't call them fecking cnuts. If he'd shown complete unawareness of issues like poverty in a different context, then I could understand the criticism.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
- people don’t like Phil Jones because he has attacked pant wearing, basement living, pot noodle wearers
Makes me think of Groundskeeper Willy and his ‘blouse wearing poodle walkers’ rant. That’s a whole other thread I want nothing to do with. :lol:

- we’ve discovered that one poster who took it to heart is a “big deal”. Whatever that means
2-4-1 on pot noodle. :wenger:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Incredibly weird to think that Phil Jones was specifically targeting people that match one or more of living with their mum/likes eating pot noodles/drinks (flat) pepsi instead of thinking Phil Jones was using the decades old trope of no-life losers with nothing better to do than be arseholes online.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
You expect him to be aware of the housing crises while he's trying to diss internet trolls? He's not on a message board, he can't call them fecking cnuts.
You can call them out, without dissing their "hypothetical" circumstance which isn't alien to them.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Incredibly weird to think that Phil Jones was specifically targeting people that match one or more of living with their mum/likes eating pot noodles/drinks (flat) pepsi instead of thinking Phil Jones was using the decades old trope of no-life losers with nothing better to do than be arseholes online.
He could have easily referred to that if so, don't think there would be any criticism if that's what he did.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You can call them out, without dissing their "hypothetical" circumstance which isn't alien to them.
My bad, edited my post. My point is you could be a little more understanding in that his intention wasn't having a go at poor people and he didn't write that sneer with a pen and a pad.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
- people don’t like Phil Jones he should be retired because he hasn’t played for ages
- people don’t like pot noodles because Phil Jones brought them up
Are you related to him, mate?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
My bad, edited my post. My point is you could be a little more understanding in that his intention wasn't having a go at poor people and he didn't write that sneer with a pen and a pad.
I don't think that was his intention either tbh, but still don't think it was very clever of him.

He doesn't deserve all this abuse nonetheless, he hasn't done anything wrong.

djembatheking

Feel sorry for Jones, always given his all for the club and lost a whole chunk of his career to injury , time that he`ll never get back.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't think that was his intention either tbh, but still don't think it was very clever of him.

He doesn't deserve all this abuse nonetheless, he hasn't done anything wrong.
If he'd called keyboard warriors fat bastards, would it have been fair to critize him for being unaware of actual bastards with thyroid problems?

IrishRedDevil

I wasn’t going to bring it up, but since Phil did, I eat pot noodles, but atleast my knees are stronger than a noodle.

Phil ‘Noodle Knees’ Jones

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
He's stealing from the rich but hasn't got around to giving it to the poor yet.

RedTiger

Half mast
Man was talking about his injury struggles and the shame he felt over it, yet half the posters are going in on him for mentioning pot noodles. The descent of our fanbase into toxicity over the last several years has been eye opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.