Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedicut75

He was quite literally playing basically every game.

I don't disagree that the club acted a bit rashly with the contract (mainly length) given Jones' injury history, but it is fact that he was playing almost every game for a good dozen plus games, over a period of multiple months, when the contract was signed.
Funny how you come to remember certain periods of play or performance where individuals are concerned. I thought he'd missed a massive number of fixtures in the run up to said extension being offered, but I guess my opinion was coloured by his overall injury stats which were pretty egregious, given his tenure at the club, when the offer was made.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Very few were happy with the renewal though were they, they've been proven right on this occasion, hard to disagree with that.

Just noticed, you hail from Barrybados?
The renewal itself wasn't an issue, but the length of it was. Four years for a player as injury prone as Jones was madness, and I'll happily agree with that. It doesn't change the fact he was very much a first team player at the time of the renewal though.

I fully appreciate frustrations with the club for giving him that length of contract extension. I do not understand suggestions that Jones should have turned what was offered down and negotiated himself a worse deal.

Not from Barry, just live here. I'm a northern boy.

choccy77

Phil Jones doesn't have a PR person, never mind a team. He's barely a footballer at this stage...and even when he was, it's not like brands were lining up to throw money at him. They weren't even scattering money in his general direction.

Also, no PR exec in the world would let the Pot Noodle paragraph go out.
Sarcasm my friend. ;)

RUCK4444

The renewal itself wasn't an issue, but the length of it was. Four years for a player as injury prone as Jones was madness, and I'll happily agree with that. It doesn't change the fact he was very much a first team player at the time of the renewal though.

I fully appreciate frustrations with the club for giving him that length of contract extension. I do not understand suggestions that Jones should have turned what was offered down and negotiated himself a worse deal.

Not from Barry, just live here. I'm a northern boy.
Yeah that's fair, to be honest I don't know why but it feels like a bit of a shock to me that he was getting regular games at the time of the renewal because thinking back (when the renewal was confirmed) I certainly don't remember it that way, but I'll take your word on it regarding appearances. The main concern wasn't his ability but fitness and hardly anybody expected him to be able to play much during this renewal.

On the bolded, I agree, of course. Nobody could logically expect anybody to turn down a renewal at United, especially when you know your injury prone and to get a renewal is a huge show of faith from the club, and I wouldn't expect him to turn it down or lower what they were offering, anybody suggesting that is being silly. As far as the clubs decision to renew though, I do have at least some room for understanding where fan frustration comes in.

I think from this point the best that could happen would be for Phil to get back to a semblance of reliable fitness, that has to be the goal, I can't see him getting much time on the pitch for United though in all honesty but I do, contrary to belief, wish him well.

Ah cool, I'm from Barry.

You said he should laugh off the trolls, Gary. Phil Jones left social media a long time ago. Do you genuinely think it's fair for people who are mad at the club for giving him a new contract to seek her out and tell her they hope she dies?

Do you think she deserves that because of who she is married to, Gary?
I said Phil Jones should laugh off the trolls. Baiting them in newspaper interviews isn't going to help matters.

Now you bring in his relatives and ask if his wife 'deserves' to be trolled. You know the answer to that and it doesn't change the options people have: ignored the trolls or engage the trolls.

Also, it's very easy to be on social media and have an annoymous name and change the settings so only people you're 'friend'' with can message you. Teachers, Social Workers, Police, Medics etc. Are all advised not to use their full name on social media - Phil Jones wife could easily do this.

Suedesi

I’m all for frustration if the lad is fit and playing sh1t. But this have a go at someone when they are out injured for nearly 2 years with a career threatening injury.. I’m not ok with that. I think it’s classless to kick one of our players when he’s down.

btw I’d have a word with the missus about your three kids because your maths are off. He last played in jan 2020.
:lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We might get to see him at DM yet

according to fergie he’s very clever at taking tactics and instructions on board

RedorDead21

Hopefully we can get him back playing again this season for selling next summer. He certainly deserves regular playing time once able.

RUCK4444

Also, no PR exec in the world would let the Pot Noodle paragraph go out.
In a nutshell I think this sort of proves the point that the statement was OTT and rash. Like you say no PR team would dream of letting that line go out, there's a very good reason for that.

I’m all for frustration if the lad is fit and playing sh1t. But this have a go at someone when they are out injured for nearly 2 years with a career threatening injury.. I’m not ok with that. I think it’s classless to kick one of our players when he’s down.

btw I’d have a word with the missus about your three kids because your maths are off. He last played in jan 2020.
:lol: I don't believe it. Mandella effect at work here, I've not seem him since he cleared the ball with his face whilst on all fours.

Oranges038

Why are you jumping on the pot noodles and not the trolling bit? Which was, literally, the point he made.
I did post something earlier about him being an easy target for trolls.

Noodles are just way more interesting than Phil Jones.

Andersons Dietician

Guessing Phil Jones ain’t really that high of a priority for the United PR machine as that comment was a very poor and tactless choice. Especially when he adds he’ll be living comfortably. Given how he has earned his money thats not a good look.

Unfortunate that he’s been plagued by injuries but for whatever reason he went from promising to calamity act long before this latest issue. Anyway I think the thing to do with Phil Jones is put him back in the irrelevant file and forget about him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If he'd called keyboard warriors fat bastards, would it have been fair to critize him for being unaware of actual bastards with thyroid problems?
Yeah and even more than that you don't even need to go as far as thyroid problems. Would hate for a United player to represent himself in that way.

Maybe just bastards would be okay.

Suedesi

Sounds like he's had debilitating injuries and been in excruciating pain for years - not too dissimilar to Umtiti - so we can argue whether extending him was the right move, but abusing him for being injured seems bizarre. Especially as he hasn't cost points - in financial terms his contract is a below the line item, absolutely nothing.

And then it's ok for the trolls to abuse a player but when he dishes it back it's offending the pc sensibilities of said trolls - noodles + basement + flat Pepsi - you can't make this shit up

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I said Phil Jones should laugh off the trolls. Baiting them in newspaper interviews isn't going to help matters.

Now you bring in his relatives and ask if his wife 'deserves' to be trolled. You know the answer to that and it doesn't change the options people have: ignored the trolls or engage the trolls.

Also, it's very easy to be on social media and have an annoymous name and change the settings so only people you're 'friend'' with can message you. Teachers, Social Workers, Police, Medics etc. Are all advised not to use their full name on social media - Phil Jones wife could easily do this.
I'm not bringing anything in. All this was in the interview, which it seems you didn't read. As you were.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sounds like he's had debilitating injuries and been in excruciating pain for years - not too dissimilar to Umtiti - so we can argue whether extending him was the right move, but abusing him for being injured seems bizarre. Especially as he hasn't cost points - in financial terms his contract is a below the line item, absolutely nothing.

And then it's ok for the trolls to abuse a player but when he dishes it back it's offending the pc sensibilities of said trolls - noodles + basement + flat Pepsi - you can't make this shit up
That’s it in a nutshell

Suedesi

I don't understand grown men abusing him in front of his child as alluded in that article - it's one thing to shout things in the stands in the heat of the moment, it's another to approach a human being with his child and yell "Phil you're shit". Like what the fck.

I wonder if this toxicity was really emboldened by Mourinho as he's the only United manager I remember to be so openly toxic towards his own players... Pogba, Mkhi, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Martial etc.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Hopefully he can get fit and maybe go on loan in Jan or something. Norwich might be desperate enough to take a punt on paying half his wages or something?

Glorio

In all fairness, the pot noodles / flat pepsi comment is in poor taste. Considering that if you follow the context, he was on about being comfortable when he retires, it does seem he was at least in part hinting at what he perceived was the social standing of internet trolls.

I am disappointed in his choice of words, but then again, I get him wanting to fight his own corner. He's received a lot worse than that

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
This is the most active thread in the transfer forum and it’s all over a fecking pot noodle :lol:

I wonder if there’s a cross section between the people melting down in here over Jones having a go at trolls and the people calling Lingard a prick telling him to feck off on Tuesday…

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I don't understand grown men abusing him in front of his child as alluded in that article - it's one thing to shout things in the stands in the heat of the moment, it's another to approach a human being with his child and yell "Phil you're shit". Like what the fck.

I wonder if this toxicity was really emboldened by Mourinho as he's the only United manager I remember to be so openly toxic towards his own players... Pogba, Mkhi, Smalling, Jones, Shaw, Martial etc.

People like that are people you don't want to bother spending energy on. They are losers at every walk of life.

Zlatattack

Read the article and really felt sorry for him.

- He got abused on the streets by trolls in front of his children
- He quit social media because of the abuse
- His wife got abuse and death threats on social media

Feck you pot noodle eating haters. If you've got no money, make roti, it's cheaper, but don't be hating Phil and his family.

He talked about his knee opp as a youngster. They removed the cartilage. It was bone grinding on bone for years. No wonder he was always injured.

Recently he had an opp and had holes drilled into his knees to blood would flow through the holes, stimulating cartilage growth. He finally feels fit again.

I've slagged Jones off and think the best place for him is elsewhere to rebuild his career, but I'd never hate a player for taking wages whilst injured. The club are not a charity - they're a ruthless business, like all successful businesses. If they gave Phil a contract why should he risk going without an income?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Read the article and really felt sorry for him.

- He got abused on the streets by trolls in front of his children
- He quit social media because of the abuse
- His wife got abuse and death threats on social media

Feck you pot noodle eating haters. If you've got no money, make roti, it's cheaper, but don't be hating Phil and his family.

He talked about his knee opp as a youngster. They removed the cartilage. It was bone grinding on bone for years. No wonder he was always injured.

Recently he had an opp and had holes drilled into his knees to blood would flow through the holes, stimulating cartilage growth. He finally feels fit again.

I've slagged Jones off and think the best place for him is elsewhere to rebuild his career, but I'd never hate a player for taking wages whilst injured. The club are not a charity - they're a ruthless business, like all successful businesses. If they gave Phil a contract why should he risk going without an income?
Was the exactly the same for me @Zlatattack

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
He isn't stereotyping internet trolls. He is poking fun at people in unfortunate situations where poverty and no opportunity has forced them into a situation where they're still living with parents. He is out of touch with society.

Its possible for people to lump him with others and say he is a chunky money grabbing twat, just like Tevez, but that would be very unfair because at least Tevez had a set of knees that worked. Cant even say Phil Jones has been on the dole, because he gladly accepted millions more when he knew he has no knees. He should be ashamed that, with the millions hes amassed in his career, he still had the cheek to be a burden on our wage bill whilst trying to recover for a set of fans that don't want him here anymore. During any negotiation, if he had the decency, he could have taken a pay cut. Maybe he did? But hes obviously not confident enough to talk and let the fans know about it, if that indeed is the case.
I disagree. I do not believe he is having a go at people with less money that he, and you are reading waaay to much into it.

Yes, he's a millionaire but not everything he says will be about money; and if you could see past the financial fallout of the last few years of his career, maybe you could sympathise with what he is saying a bit more.

Internet trolls by general definition are said to live in their mum's basement and eat junk because they are pathetic losers, not because they are poor. Phil is defending himself against the cowardly idiots who choose to spend their time anonymously throwing insults and bullying people (often more successful that themselves) for their own amusement. The strerotyoe internet troll lives this way by choice - often having access a better lifestyle, but is too lazy or cowardly to work for it.

This is very different from somebody who cannot afford to live or eat better.

Reactions: roonster09
Status
Not open for further replies.