Phil Jones | released summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Hopefully he starts, and does well.

I can't believe anyone would wish otherwise for him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Pages and pages of morality debate in a transfer thread is a bit odd, basically the money argument is 2 different things, on one side no matter how rich you are it doesn't make you immune to injury and illness, nor depression, look at Robin Williams, and it doesn't give anybody the right to abuse the person on the street. The other side about him looking after his financial future is also grossly melodramatic, he's not equivacle to a Caf poster and their finances, he's been here a decade and could never work another day and still live in a nice house with a couple of nice cars and get his kids the best educations.
This part is always annoying when a hugely rich player is after a transfer and says they have to "look after" their family.
As if being paid 250k a week is so important to their lifestyle instead of 220k a week.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I hope he does well. At this stage the mental side of things must be huge. He could get tackled or turn quickly and feel his knee ache or hurt for a moment. It must be so hard to try and keep playing through the 'normal' knocks and bangs you receive without thinking it is the start of another major injury.

I still think he could be a very good Prem defender and get back into the England squad too.

Revan

Assumptionman
Still banging this drum? It’s already been said that he got his contract before this long term injury
He had injury problems for his entire career, and was pretty bad when he was not injured. So, while I do not fault Jones for signing the contract (who wouldn't) and I think it is idiotic blaming him for that, or even worse, insulting him, I think that whoever sanctioned that deal is a bit of an idiot.

I said the same back then as did most of the Caf. But Ed wants to protect the value of the players.

NB: I think the exact same thing for Bailly's recent contract.

EngimaMK

This part is always annoying when a hugely rich player is after a transfer and says they have to "look after" their family.
As if being paid 250k a week is so important to their lifestyle instead of 220k a week.
100% this. Once you are at a certain threshold of earning, you really don't have to be that greedy.
I don't care what anybody says, Messi could've easily dropped his wages to stay at Barca and never worry about any of his offspring going hungry for generations to come.

goptun

Are they required to share their personal health information with the world, though? Honest question.
It's not unusual for clubs to keep fans abreast of the health of the players, particularly when it is injury-related. With an unusually significant and difficult process of recovery like the one Phil Jones has been through, I think a bit of transparency would have really helped to keep fans onside. That sounds odd, but for better or for worse millions of football fans engage daily about squad management, wage bills etc. There really isn't any room to hide these days, unfortunately. Rio didn't even know the extent of the situation, and he's about as well connected to the club as one can be.

Fingers crossed Jones has a straightforward time of it from here on out. The club has looked after him and it's obvious he'd like nothing more than to get some game time for United. He'll definitely see the pitch at some point.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He had injury problems for his entire career, and was pretty bad when he was not injured. So, while I do not fault Jones for signing the contract (who wouldn't) and I think it is idiotic blaming him for that, or even worse, insulting him, I think that whoever sanctioned that deal is a bit of an idiot.

I said the same back then as did most of the Caf. But Ed wants to protect the value of the players.

NB: I think the exact same thing for Bailly's recent contract.
This is a much better post and I agree with it but your previous post seemed harsher

lex talionis

Well did it or didn't it? Either it did, and someone can draw a line to it, or it didn't and it's something never worth speaking of again.

Feel free to criticise his lack of grace as a defender but let's all quit with the not-so-subtle hints that Phil Jones had his injuries coming to him.

The lunge on Rob Lee aside, I see little similarity between Jones and Solskjær's play, yet it's the same injury that cruelly took them both out for a long period of their careers.

Nobody has this coming.
Nobody argues that Jones had it coming, that he deserved any of his injuries throughout his career.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I am assuming you are addressing me like a dick because you referred yourself as a plastic earlier in this discussion and somehow thats my doing.

Anyway

Jones had meniscus weakness when he was a kid in Blackburns academy and thats when it was first identified.

Quote from the recent article

"The truth is that Jones, 29, has been fighting the same debilitating injury that put Ole Gunnar Solskjaer out for three years as a player. It is severe meniscal damage, and his is to the lateral meniscus of his right knee. The issue first arose when he was an academy player with Blackburn Rovers and flared up at the start of his second season with United. He was 20, had just been to Euro 2012 with England and was being fêted, with Sir Bobby Charlton comparing him to Duncan Edwards.

He had surgery. Upon coming round, the surgeon bleakly explained that he had removed the meniscus — it was just not reparable. That left Jones with bone crunching against bone inside the joint. Linear movement was always OK but sideways impact often caused pain. Still, things were manageable until 2016, and the start of José Mourinho’s first campaign as United manager. “I’d get swelling after training. You’d lay a ball off and any resistance against the knee was just agony. The merest nudge,” Jones says"

but you go ahead and continue to passively aggressively attack the players if thats what makes you happy kid.
Meh, perhaps he should retire.

ScarleyUtd

"The truth is that Jones, 29, has been fighting the same debilitating injury that put Ole Gunnar Solskjaer out for three years as a player. It is severe meniscal damage, and his is to the lateral meniscus of his right knee. The issue first arose when he was an academy player with Blackburn Rovers and flared up at the start of his second season with United. He was 20, had just been to Euro 2012 with England and was being fêted, with Sir Bobby Charlton comparing him to Duncan Edwards.

He had surgery. Upon coming round, the surgeon bleakly explained that he had removed the meniscus — it was just not reparable. That left Jones with bone crunching against bone inside the joint. Linear movement was always OK but sideways impact often caused pain. Still, things were manageable until 2016, and the start of José Mourinho’s first campaign as United manager. “I’d get swelling after training. You’d lay a ball off and any resistance against the knee was just agony. The merest nudge,” Jones says"
If it was in that condition after the op how come everyone persisted in him playing and renewed contracts, etc?

stevoc

Not sure but how is that his fault?
To be fair I don't think the guy was implying that Jones is at fault was he?

And given that information about the severity of his situation it's a bloody good question to ask. If he had this injury from 2009, played through it and it was manageable until 2016. The club did the right thing and stood by him, gave him a new deal in 2015 and helped him get treatment for the problem to allow him to continue his career.

But if the problem was still so bad and wasn't manageable after 2016. Then questions have to be asked why were the club giving him a brand new 5 year contract in 2019.

macheda14

To be fair I don't think the guy was implying that Jones is at fault was he?

And given that information about the severity of his situation it's a bloody good question to ask. If he had this injury from 2009, played through it and it was manageable until 2016. The club did the right thing and stood by him, gave him a new deal in 2015 and helped him get treatment for the problem to allow him to continue his career.

But if the problem was still so bad and wasn't manageable after 2016. Then questions have to be asked why were the club giving him a brand new 5 year contract in 2019.
We're grooming him to be our next manager. I think I remember reading Duncan Edwards said he could be our best manager since Sir Alex Ferguson.

Waynne

But it comes across as a criticism particularly as the player is only now playing back to fitness after 18 months. You can’t be selected if you’re injured so your post is badly timed at best
Point taken and fair enough regarding my initial post.

Offsideagain

Do these players on a long term injury become subject of an insurance claim? I remember when we signed Phil Jones from Wigan was it? Rooney said he was the hardest defender he had played against. Good luck to the lad.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
Do these players on a long term injury become subject of an insurance claim? I remember when we signed Phil Jones from Wigan was it? Rooney said he was the hardest defender he had played against. Good luck to the lad.
I believe it was Blackburn and played RB for a while doing a decent job actually.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If he can't stay fit at CB can't see him doing it in midfield.
I'm not sure that I can see him ever being fit to play again, and even if he is, he has been out of the game for so long, that it's almost inevitable that he will pick up new muscular injuries.
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Jones simply drifted into early retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.