Phil Neville | Portland Timbers head coach | In sexist row

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
He doesn't half chat a lot of crap as a pundit. Admittedly being a decent pundit doesn't translate to being a good manager as his brother demonstrated. But the innane, nonsensical stuff he spouts doesn't bode well for those women!

Sylar

Deleting his twitter brings even more attention. Crazy.

haram

How did he get away with saying that shit in 2012 anyway?

Listar

This would end well I see. Why would a male coach gets to manage a female team anyway? As if the males can perfectly understand females. Just by not experiencing what a women experience once a month is enough to have a disconnect, amongst plenty of other things. Coaching is as much about motivation as it is about tactics. Let women manages women team I'll say.

Also a motivational pat on back or a friendly hug and sexual assault is a thin white line.

RedFish

He's a kind soul who is dumb enough to make jokes about domestic violence. feck sake that's a great start to his England managerial career.

vangagal

Hope he gone forever from the scene. With that tweets he should resign when FA hold a press conference announce him as FA Women NT's head coach. Massive twat like his brother. Knowing England has fetish about CO92, he will back to punditry just fine.

spwd

Holy shit, they’re unbelievable, he’s obviously been taught by moyes, surely hes not going to get of with that?

Bite lol.

spwd

I was going to say, id like to see @Stack view on his appointment but I didn’t realise he’d posted those tweets, he obviously doesn’t have someone looking after his social media accounts.

Pacificgi

Good luck to him. Stupid regarding his previous tweets but nothing surprises me with footballers

dogwithabone

Do not get P Neville wanting this job.

Forget any sexist talk but this job is such a low standard. Let’s be honest about it woman’s football, the national team, ranks so low down in the over all football standings. The quality, I’d say, is probably level 10 or 11 in the football pyramid.

Surely if he is serious about enhancing his coaching/managerial career then an attainable lower league job is the direction he should be heading. This job will finish him as a serious football man.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
When trying to push for more equality in opportunities for females in sports, you go and give the women's national team job to a man who has never managed a team before. Well done FA.

Is there any chance a woman, one who has had a long playing career at national and club level, but who has never managed a team before be given the job for the men's national team?

Reactions: SteveJ

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Ludicrous appointment. Never managed a womens side at any level and only managed 1 mens game (for a side he part owns).
I agree with this. We had a coach here in Poland, very good with all women teams he managed. He got offered a job to manage men. He failed. No matter what PC warriors want to say managing women and men differs. I think FA should have a list of better candidates to mange women's team.

AlwaysRed66

I joked about appointing Neville earlier, & he little experience & talks a lot of rubbish, but if you think about it & compare him to all the women, he is light years ahead in experience, & can understand why FA appointed him. Personally, I feel the FA should have just appointed Aluko, & she could have then got rid of anyone who upset her sensibilities without getting the FA involved.

On another point, can the BBC stop appointing these women reviewing men's football. Political claptrap gone mad. Cannot go on final score without at least one on, & even had a presenter yapping last week as well, & had to turn over to SKY. Thankfully, SKY hasn't been taken over by Political Correctness madness.

Big Andy

Bloke
On another point, can the BBC stop appointing these women reviewing men's football. Political claptrap gone mad. Cannot go on final score without at least one on, & even had a presenter yapping last week as well, & had to turn over to SKY. Thankfully, SKY hasn't been taken over by Political Correctness madness.
Women commentators just don't sound right...they try to put on a Motson style accent and it just doesn't work...

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It is a joke that he got the job - no disrespect to the guy as really it's nothing to do with him, it's the system that would overlook experienced coaches who have worked for years in the womans game and pick a guy with virtually no experience of management. The mind boggles.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I joked about appointing Neville earlier, & he little experience & talks a lot of rubbish, but if you think about it & compare him to all the women, he is light years ahead in experience, & can understand why FA appointed him. Personally, I feel the FA should have just appointed Aluko, & she could have then got rid of anyone who upset her sensibilities without getting the FA involved.

That is the biggest load of absolute rubbish. There are women - and men - who have vastly more experience than Phil Neville in coaching and management who didn't even get an interview. If you honestly believe what you said there then you are totally deluded.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Who has the right experience? Many women's coaches are usually pretty inexperienced. He has coached for Manchester United, the England u21s, and been assistant at Valencia. Some fairly decent experience that just about no women's coaches have. Just looking at England's past managers they all had very little experience if any. It's not exactly new for a woman's team to appoint a young inexperienced manager. One of the rumoured front runners turned them down for the Canadian men's team.

From the BBC:
So he's about 50th choice?

Smores

That is the biggest load of absolute rubbish. There are women - and men - who have vastly more experience than Phil Neville in coaching and management who didn't even get an interview. If you honestly believe what you said there then you are totally deluded.
There's plenty of coaches with more experience than Giggs but he still got the wales job didn't he.

Apparently people value the insight and experience a top player can bring which is a reasonable argument (ish). No womens football player has as much top level experience as he does.

prateik

I'm guessing it was all a joke that made sense/wasnt offensive in context or at that time.

He was playing in the league in 2012, wasnt he?

Giggsy92

Has any manager ever gone into the men's game having coached in the women's? Seems a bit of a weird choice career-wise but good luck to him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There's plenty of coaches with more experience than Giggs but he still got the wales job didn't he.

Apparently people value the insight and experience a top player can bring which is a reasonable argument (ish). No womens football player has as much top level experience as he does.
Did he play in a team that came third in the world cup?

Smores

Did he play in a team that came third in the world cup?
He's got plenty of experience playing in tournaments and a good few medals too. Let's not pretend he doesn't have more experience at a higher quality of football.

Minimalist

He’s a complete twat.

...Oh and yeah, there’s good reasons this is a bad appointment.

But hey, maybe he can show them how to do a step over?

ZupZup

I can understand questioning his appointment over his lack of knowledge of the women's game... but think doing so over his lack of coaching/management experience is a bit wide of the mark. Hope Powell managed the England Women for 15 years and her previous coaching experience was a UEFA B Licence and doing some coaching at soccer camps in the US.

rocks13

Strange appointment. Just seems like an attempt to put a big name in to drum up interest in a minority sport.