Phil Neville | Portland Timbers head coach | In sexist row

GlasgowCeltic

He retired ten odd years ago as a player, he’s now a football manager, a crap one.

Don’t understand the hate here. I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with Phil a few times regarding deliveries my company were handling for him at his house a while back.

Very nice and down to earth guy. Not an ounce of arrogance.

Wish him all the best over in Miami.
arrogant or just deluded you’ll struggle to find many associated with Eng women who aren’t happy to see the back of him

“I have a vision that nobody else has,” he told reporters, “I’ve got bravery that no other coach has probably had. So, do you know what? Thank your lucky stars. I’m here.”

Last edited:

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Don’t understand the hate here. I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with Phil a few times regarding deliveries my company were handling for him at his house a while back.
I don’t understand why people are taking comments that someone is a bad manager as some kind of personal attack. This forum slaughters people every day but Phil Neville is somehow beyond criticism?

RUCK4444

I don’t understand why people are taking comments that someone is a bad manager as some kind of personal attack. This forum slaughters people every day but Phil Neville is somehow beyond criticism?
Why is he a bad manager? He got to a semi final of a World Cup didn’t he?

Pochettino has been living off a semi final appearance and doing nothing else of note and is worshipped here.

He will probably do ok over there, it’s a farmers league for a start.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Why is he a bad manager? He got to a semi final of a World Cup didn’t he?

Pochettino has been living off a semi final appearance and doing nothing else of note and is worshipped here.

He will probably do ok over there, it’s a farmers league for a start.
And don't forget Neville's has actually won a legit trophy too!!

Grande

He retired ten odd years ago as a player, he’s now a football manager, a crap one.

arrogant or just deluded you’ll struggle to find many associated with Eng women who aren’t happy to see the back of him

“I have a vision that nobody else has,” he told reporters, “I’ve got bravery that no other coach has probably had. So, do you know what? Thank your lucky stars. I’m here.”
He never said that, I don’t believe you. I’d like the link for that.

He doesn’t seem like a special kind of manager, but he hasn’t done particularily bad on the whole neither. He might be unpopular. We’ll see how it goes for him. I have hopes for the English side under a new manager though.

RUCK4444

Don’t believe he said that for a second.

If he’s comparing himself to previous England women’s team managers then he is better and probably the best they could get.

He’s not going to set the world alight but I see no reason why people get so negative about ex players.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Has any of the legends bar Giggs ever shagged their brother’s wife? No? So yeah, not embarrassing to dislike Giggs.

Anyway, not gonna derail this thread more since it’s about Phil.
It's almost like he shagged her without her even being aware of it. :lol::houllier:

Best is a legend too, he was a drunk who drank himself into an early grave and beat up on his Mrs.

None of that changes any of the impact either had on the pitch.

RashyForPM

As a manager he is most definitely a fraud. He was a decent enough player but that’s totally irrelevant to the point.
He’s had one job and made it to the WWC semis, losing to the eventual winners who are renowned to dominate women’s football. What does he need to do to prove to you that he isn’t a fraud? Win the tournament as an underdog? Win the MLS for Inter Miami?

RashyForPM

It's almost like he shagged her without her even being aware of it. :lol::houllier:

Best is a legend too, he was a drunk who drank himself into an early grave and beat up on his Mrs.

None of that changes any of the impact either had on the pitch.
That doesn’t disprove what I’m saying. For Best, he doesn’t get abuse, and I know Rhodri’s wife had a massive part to play in that stupid scandal as well. I’m simply saying that for our modern day legends who astonishingly get abuse, Giggs is the only one who is somewhat understandable as to why people might not like him.

Bojan11

He’s had one job and made it to the WWC semis, losing to the eventual winners who are renowned to dominate women’s football. What does he need to do to prove to you that he isn’t a fraud? Win the tournament as an underdog? Win the MLS for Inter Miami?
Watch Nickelodeon clearly.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

You realize how out of context and how much you have paraphrased that quote?
You read the full transcript of the interview and it's clear to see what he was talking about.

Anustart89

He obviously needs to win the men's Euros with the English women's team for some people to consider him a decent manager, otherwise he's a Pep Guardiola is my idol!

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Should've parted ways a while back. England were going the wrong direction under him.

Hope he does better in the men's game. I find it fun when United players I used to watch are managers. Way more interesting than them being pundits.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I can't think what he has done to rile anyone up either. He's been far more successful in management than any ex-United player of his generation, apart from Ole, of course. He doesn't criticise United and when he's been on as a pundit, he's done alright. He's certainly never made a fool of himself the way Gary does every opportunity he has.
Does Blanc counts as his generation?

United58

I imagine people don't consider him as much a "United" player as he joined at 35 - Ole and Neville were at United 10+ years. Not saying Blanc shouldn't call himself a former United player or anything, just that he was only here 2 years so people don't associate him with the club as much

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Fair point, I forgot about him.

I imagine people don't consider him as much a "United" player as he joined at 35 - Ole and Neville were at United 10+ years. Not saying Blanc shouldn't call himself a former United player or anything, just that he was only here 2 years so people don't associate him with the club as much

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I totally read the subject as Inter Milan.

Yeah Inter Miami is a bit more sensible.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Fair point, I forgot about him.
It wasn't a point, I was wondering if he was the same generation for people and as United58 some may not consider him as an "ex player" anyway. Looking at the list, there isn't a lot of players that have really tried to be manager from the 90s-2000s.

Tapori

Reminder and 100% confirmed by nobody else but my intuition:

David Beckham has had a role in buying Inter Miami as part of a massive plan to leverage finance with the Class of 92 lads and their business contacts to eventually, one day, own Manchester United.

They/one will attempt to buy Manchester United one day. Quote back when it happens.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Had the pleasure of meeting Phil Neville at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

RUCK4444

David Beckham has had a role in buying Inter Miami as part of a massive plan to leverage finance with the Class of 92 lads and their business contacts to eventually, one day, own Manchester United.

They/one will attempt to buy Manchester United one day. Quote back when it happens.
Becks and the lads are going to muster £3 billion are they?

Becks pockets are deep but they won’t scratch the surface of that figure.

RUCK4444

Had the pleasure of meeting Phil Neville at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.
Yeah he’s a real nice fella isn't he. I posted a while back in here about how down to earth he is.

I wish him well.

Tapori

You can never win anything with kids.
You'll never overhaul Liverpool's titles.
You can't win the treble
You'll never make it as a pro-footballer.
etc.

These lads are not motivated solely by money.

They will attempt to. They may not be successful. You'll note I also included their business contacts.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly

You don’t need £3 billion to buy a £3 billion asset. Ask the Glazers!

With a reported net worth of £450 million, Becks could probably get access to the necessary leverage, if he teamed up with the right people.

(But, I agree, it’s very far fetched.)

RUCK4444

You can never win anything with kids.
You'll never overhaul Liverpool's titles.
You can't win the treble
You'll never make it as a pro-footballer.
etc.

These lads are not motivated solely by money.

They will attempt to. They may not be successful. You'll note I also included their business contacts.
One can wish bud.

RUCK4444

You don’t need £3 billion to buy a £3 billion asset. Ask the Glazers!

With a reported net worth of £450 million, Becks could probably get access to the necessary leverage, if he teamed up with the right people.

(But, I agree, it’s very far fetched.)
Yeah I know that but like you said it’s far fetched to say the least.

We would be better off sticking with the glazers to be honest. The only buyers who would improve our current situation would have been the Saudi’s.

Nobody else would have the money to purchase it and go on to invest heavily in the team, 99% of owners would want a return on their outlay.

Which is why I begrudgingly wanted the mooted Saudi takeover to happen.

Bojan11

Shame you are none of those things. Did you tell him how you scalped 5 PS5s?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

They'll have to sell Salford first

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC

Not happening, too much personal risk. In a decade or so the glazers would have fecked off and someone else would be the owner.

Who knows we might be owned by amazon.