Phil Neville | Portland Timbers head coach | In sexist row

Brophs

The One and Only
You only have to listen to him talk about football to know he’s not one of the game’s great thinkers. He sounds like a cruise ship Gary Neville impersonator.

“Attack the day? Attack the week more like. Better yet, attack the month. Better ye—“
“Phil, I beg of you, shut up”.

tomaldinho1

6 losses on the bounce. Who would have guessed that he's not great manager material?
Shocking isn't it. You'd assume many established coaches would kill for that role but they gave to someone with zero experience at domestic club level. An absolute punt because Beckham's his mate.

poleglass red

Need to sack him, they need a more experienced manager such as Scholes to come in and turn that ship around.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
They will have to sack him soon, if they want to avoid relegation.

Zoo

I’ll never forget after Moyes and his mob were binned off Phil Neville (who was part of that shambles) doing the media rounds hoping for a job from the new manager.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
It seems he's picked up some Spanish from Moyes

:lol:
Whenever I see stuff like this, I wonder if we all vastly overestimate how sophisticated professional football is just because there's lots of money in it.
I mean this video is supposed to give a great insightful look into their training and everything and all I see is a bunch of generic phrases thrown around. "I want us to be agressive in the press" "Ultimately, if we have the ball, we don't need to press". "The intensity gotta be like that every single way"
"Go score! Go score!"

Whenever I see stuff like this, I wonder if we all vastly overestimate how sophisticated professional football is just because there's lots of money in it.
I mean this video is supposed to give a great insightful look into their training and everything and all I see is a bunch of generic phrases thrown around. "I want us to be agressive in the press" "Ultimately, if we have the ball, we don't need to press". "The intensity gotta be like that every single way"
"Go score! Go score!"
Well i think that's the difference between good coaches and chancers like Neville.

They have some proper footballers in the team too, it's not as though players like Matuidi and Higuain need to be reminded to keep possession.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
"Go score! Go score!"
I wouldn't vouch for Phil Neville, but I think in general being a good coach is almost as much about how simple you can make your instructions as it is about how much you understand about the game, because in the end the game is played by a bunch of smartphone addicted manchildren with ADHD, some of whom may not even understand half of what you're saying, because they don't really speak your language.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
23 cup finals :lol:

That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard a manager say.

stubie

I take great pleasure in seeing slimy Phil fail.

Overrated coach who’s in above his head, even at MLS level

Trequarista10

Shocking isn't it. You'd assume many established coaches would kill for that role but they gave to someone with zero experience at domestic club level. An absolute punt because Beckham's his mate.
Genuine question, but does MLS really attract many experienced, high level managers?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I feel like if you're an ex player going into management you need to have a bit of gravitas about you. If you're an ex player who has done Phil Neville things then I just can't see how a player will look up and think this is the man I need.

OleBoiii

because in the end the game is played by a bunch of smartphone addicted manchildren with ADHD, some of whom may not even understand half of what you're saying, because they don't really speak your language.
Well said :lol:

tomaldinho1

Genuine question, but does MLS really attract many experienced, high level managers?
Feel like Inter Miami should - particularly any Latin American managers or Portuguese/Spanish speakers. I doubt they’d be getting a top level guy i.e Simeone, Pep or Zidane but surely even someone who is semi retired like Jardim, Poyet or even Villas-Boas…just anyone who has some experience would be a start!

Flytan

I wouldn't vouch for Phil Neville, but I think in general being a good coach is almost as much about how simple you can make your instructions as it is about how much you understand about the game, because in the end the game is played by a bunch of smartphone addicted manchildren with ADHD, some of whom may not even understand half of what you're saying, because they don't really speak your language.
Damn I knew I shoulda been a footballer

Sylar

Is 23 the highest a manager has ever said for number of cup finals?

Usually around 5-6 but 23? :lol:
That feels like over half a season

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I have no idea how he’s doing & I haven’t read any of this thread. But based solely on hearing him talk about football I’m gonna say it.. he’s doing shit isn’t he?

Dan-Utd

I don't know if any manager has gone from women's football to men's football and actually done well or not but from hearing Mark Sampson speaking years ago when he was in charge of and doing brilliantly with the England women's team, I thought he sounded like a really soft character and would struggle with the egos in men's football but would probably make a good youth team manager.

Phil Neville comes across as being exactly the same, he talks a good game because he learnt a lot from Sir Alex but it's knowing how to get your players going and turning the words into results.

I think most experienced footballers will find it hard to respect a manager who has got a job simply because he's a friend of the owners or because he used to play for Manchester United, it's a disastrous route to take in football, I remember when people used to say M Arteta would be a fantastic manager just because he's worked alongside P Gaurdiola and before that it was P Viera, T Henry, G Neville, R Keane, R Giggs and P Scholes will be brilliant managers and that didn't happen.

J Klopp started in the Germany's 2nd tier, P Gaurdiola started at Barcelona B, A Ferguson started at smaller clubs in Scotland, I remember Giggs being linked with so many jobs and not taking any of them, if players aren't prepared to take a job in a lower league because they think they are over qualified for it - they don't deserve the chance. (Barcelona B are basically a reserve team who play in a professional league so the opponents are of decent standard.)

We will see how it works out for Phil, I hope he can turn it around but I just can't see it.

Reactions: Invictus

SambaBoy

He has no authority about him as a manager. I can't imagine Higuain and Matuidi really respecting him. It's the tactical instructions you hear at schoolboy level delivered with no charisma.

fps

"Go score! Go score!"
I have some sympathy here, as coaches have complex ideas but need to convey them, often, to some less complex individuals, or people whose language skills aren’t so good for whatever reason.

That said, I reckon a lot of those variables haven’t even been looked at properly in football.

mu4c_20le

You know the guy he replaced was a ten year veteran, right?

tomaldinho1

You know the guy he replaced was a ten year veteran, right?
Yes and that means what? Just because you hire an experience coach it doesn’t guarantee you results but you have a better chance than hiring someone with zero experience coaching domestically. You get that, right?

Thiagoal

I feel like if you're an ex player going into management you need to have a bit of gravitas about you. If you're an ex player who has done Phil Neville things then I just can't see how a player will look up and think this is the man I need.
I think gravitas or charisma is what you need- something to get the players believing you know what the feck you’re doing. Phil Neville has zero of either unfortunately

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't think it is only gravitas. I think a lot of ex players don't bother to study the game. You hear it every time a pundit speaks. I don't think it is a coincidence that on average the better coaches did not have much of a career at the highest level. Philip Neville when doing punditry is drab and often misinformed. There's no way that doesn't translate onto how he coaches. Yes he has his badges but when you watch youtube videos of coaching conferences and how this people discuss, you see that the good ones have devoted years and years studying and learning and are naturally very intelligent. Does Neville fit into that category?

mu4c_20le

Yes and that means what? Just because you hire an experience coach it doesn’t guarantee you results but you have a better chance than hiring someone with zero experience coaching domestically. You get that, right?
I don't think you knew that.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
4 wins in the last six games.....guess he knows what he's doing after all...