Phil Neville | Portland Timbers head coach | In sexist row

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's said some moderately borderline things in jest, but nothing in the scheme of things.

The debate about his appointment baffles me. As if he's just some guy with a moderate lower level career who has never done anything.

He's a multi trophy winning Manchester United player who has coached at United and others. That's no small thing!
Was there a overflowing list of super experienced top managers after this role?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Women: a great bunch of lads."

Gearbox Paddy

Thanks for clearing that up Phil, you were talking about battering your wife at ping pong or basketball. Which one was it though?

He’s such a waffler, as you can see from the videos waffling on making very little sense.

No more commentating for a while though which is great news.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Will be sacked within the year. Not coaching material, let alone management.

JK-27

A shame he has to deal with this. If you ask me the BBC are deliberately de-stabilising the Womens England Football team. Sampson was cleared of any wrong doing by the FA, but the BBC kept going on and on about it, forcing the new investigation and ultimately sacking of Sampson, despite the other players very publicly supporting him.

Phil is the new England manager and the players have publicly supported him, yet the BBC keep banging on about a tweet (and tweets mean feck all) from 7 years ago?

I think the BBC has an agenda and it's not a positive one.

Rockets Redglare

Actually he said he is ‘the right man’ for the job, which is unbelievably stupid considering the circumstances.

How many more chances are the. Neville muppets going to be given? This has got disaster all over it. Under pressure, he still looks just like he did when he gave away the penalty in the WC against Romania - rabbit in headlights...
He is a man though, what is wrong with saying that?

MAME DIOUF 32

A shame he has to deal with this. If you ask me the BBC are deliberately de-stabilising the Womens England Football team. Sampson was cleared of any wrong doing by the FA, but the BBC kept going on and on about it, forcing the new investigation and ultimately sacking of Sampson, despite the other players very publicly supporting him.

Phil is the new England manager and the players have publicly supported him, yet the BBC keep banging on about a tweet (and tweets mean feck all) from 7 years ago?

The BBC won't stop ramming women's football down our throats. If there's an agenda, which I don't believe there is, it's against men in women's football and not the game itself.

AndyJ1985

A lot of fuss over nothing. We live in a world where everyone is looking to get offended by something

Nuts

Poor old Phil, having to apologises for for feck all.
Should never have been given the job, the muppet. He’s as inspiring as damp bog roll.

Why don’t guys like LVG take a job like this? Would be great for all sides and a LVG or a Hiddink isn’t going to have another big job left in them at this stage and they’d still have a lot left to give to women’s football.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Should never have been given the job, the muppet. He’s as inspiring as damp bog roll.

Why don’t guys like LVG take a job like this? Would be great for all sides and a LVG or a Hiddink isn’t going to have another big job left in them at this stage and they’d still have a lot left to give to women’s football.
After you've tasted caviar, you don't want to eat frog babies.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Why on Earth would either of them want such a low level job?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Tweeting that you've battered your wife? I don't doubt Phil is a good guy and he meant the tweets in jest, but that doesn't absolve him of his responsibility as a sportsman, commentator and public figure. Tweeting about domestic violence just isn't funny.

Ibi Dreams

He's said some moderately borderline things in jest, but nothing in the scheme of things.

The debate about his appointment baffles me. As if he's just some guy with a moderate lower level career who has never done anything.

He's a multi trophy winning Manchester United player who has coached at United and others. That's no small thing!
Was there a overflowing list of super experienced top managers after this role?
He only coached at United because of his ties with both the club and Moyes, and he only coached at Valencia because his brother was the manager. I'm not saying he's not a good coach, I don't know if he is or not, although the clubs he has coached at have been pretty shit during his time at them. Just saying that his experience and qualifications are really pretty questionable.

Doracle

He wasn’t tweeting about domestic violence though. 2011 isn’t the dark ages. Going on twitter to say you’d beaten up your wife was just as unacceptable then as it is now. It’s far more likely he was using the word “battered” in the context of winning easily at a sport. Absolutely ludicrous that this is even requiring explanation, let alone an apology.

The other comment is a little more concerning. It was clearly said in jest but is still the type of comment best avoided.

Generally, feels very much like a storm in a teacup.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

No money in it for one thing.

Second thing is,it isn’t the same sport no matter how much people try and pretend it is.

I’ll phrase that differently, men’s football isn’t women’s football, it’s played differently, women are different both physically and mentally which is what makes the game so different.

LVG was/is a dinosaur of the men’s game, he would be a disaster in the women’s game.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Vangle would get binned the minute he mentioned 'sex masochism'.

Halftrack

Sampson was cleared of any wrong doing by the FA, but the BBC kept going on and on about it, forcing the new investigation and ultimately sacking of Sampson, despite the other players very publicly supporting him.
Ah, yes, the FA "cleared" him. The only reason they did was in a feeble attempt to cover up the fact that he repeatedly offended black players by doing racist jokes, and to avoid having themselves and their own dodgy conduct end up in the spotlight. As for the other players supporting him, it's meaningless. If he can't keep himself from offending minority players, no amount of support should save his job.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If he were taking charge of a League 1 team people wouldn't think that Phil was underqualified. He's certainly qualified enough to manage the WNT.

Needham

Phil says 'battered the wife' was a reference to table tennis. Now he's implying women aren't as good as men at table tennis. This man should be let nowhere near a changing room laden with exposed breasts.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't get all this fuss. Who cares about the English womens team all of a sudden:confused:

It's not like the 6 people in the stands would complain about the football played under the Phil Neville era...

manutddjw

I saw LvG’s name in this thread and immediately started laughing. If Phil is getting slaughtered for tweets years ago, could you imagine LvG as a manager of a woman’s team? He’d be sent to the gallows the second he said “I tell my players to get horny”.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He only coached at United because of his ties with both the club and Moyes, and he only coached at Valencia because his brother was the manager. I'm not saying he's not a good coach, I don't know if he is or not, although the clubs he has coached at have been pretty shit during his time at them. Just saying that his experience and qualifications are really pretty questionable.
He was at Valencia before Gary, at least look at the timeline of events.

JK-27

Tweeting that you've battered your wife? I don't doubt Phil is a good guy and he meant the tweets in jest, but that doesn't absolve him of his responsibility as a sportsman, commentator and public figure. Tweeting about domestic violence just isn't funny.
But he wasn't tweeting about domestic violence, he was talking about winning against his wife at a sports game. The only person who has implied domestic violence is you. Why are you making such a claim? Do you personally know he has hit his wife?

He was at Valencia before Gary, at least look at the timeline of events.
Exactly, and proof some people have an agenda against Phil that won't be stopped by the facts of what actually happened.

Phil says 'battered the wife' was a reference to table tennis. Now he's implying women aren't as good as men at table tennis. This man should be let nowhere near a changing room laden with exposed breasts.
This is sarcasm right? How on earth do you twist this in to Phil saying women aren't as good as men at table tennis?

C'est Moi Cantona

For me Phil isn't the best qualified, but he is a big name in the game, and is clearly someone who will give it his all, he deserves to given a chance at least now he has the job, and I'm just not sure the job would appeal to your older former top managers.

And if certain people relish in digging up pathetic past 'sexism' stuff on squeaky clean Phil, then you'd dread what they might find on these sort of managers.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Went from being a sexist to a full blown feminist.

Though, I agree we need a women's football team.

Reducation

Went from being a sexist to a full blown feminist.

Though, I agree we need a women's football team.
"Need"
1.requirement, necessary duty, or obligation
2.lack of something wanted or deemed necessary
3.urgent want, as of something requisite
4.necessity arising from the circumstances of a situation or case
5.a situation or time of difficulty; exigency
6.a condition marked by the lack of something requisite
7.destitution; extreme poverty

verb (used with object)
8.to have need of; require

Hmm. Women's football would benefit from (ie needs?) Manchester United's involvement, but i don't see how MUFC needs a women's team.