Philippe Coutinho | Aston Villa player | deal made perm

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just in time for a debut and winner against us no doubt.

It's a big coup for Villa, but whether he can find his old form? we shall see.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Great signing for Villa.

ForeverRed1

He’s gone there with his connections to stevie G. If he can get him playing anything like his Liverpool days and keep him fit, he will be some signing for them. They have a decent squad actually. Always a tricky team to play and seem to be investing.

CraftySoAndSo

If he revive his Liverpool form then what a signing. But unfortunately most of the time when a player drops off this much they never hit those highs again, but could still be a good player for them.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Villa are our next 2 games...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was always overrated, and there is a reason why Liverpool sold him and managed to do better without him. If you need the best out of him everything needs to go through him, and he is not that good for top team to be built around him.

Great signing for Villa though, and I reckon they can make him work really well considering they've had similar type of player in similar position in Grealish.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
He'll be the Alexis Sanchez of Villa!

AndySmith1990

Meh. We should know better than anyone that signing a big name who was forced out of his club isn't necessarily a good thing. Let's see

lilcurt

How old is he? I always thought he was a terrific player and couldn’t understand why it didn’t work out for him at Barca.

Always played well against us. Which is a worry.
His best position is the same as Messi... Was never going to work with both of them in the team and only one of them was going to win that game time.

Be interesting to see how he does at Villa, maybe suits him to be the biggest fish in the pond.

GlasgowCeltic

If nothing else I'm looking forward to the absolute bangers he'll inevitably score

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Probably their replacement for Grealish.

Should do well, however once players fail after moving to a different league, they hardly make or get their form back do they?

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
He’s looked absolutely horrendous for ages now. I think he’ll ultimately flatter to decide.

There’s a reason that he ended up at Villa.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
How can you go from being a £140m signing at age 25 to being on loan at Villa at age 29?

NewYorkRed

Bit of a no brainer for Villa really. Top signing for them. Loan with them paying less than half his wages with an option to buy? No reason not to do it under those conditions. He was class in the EPL so he’s easily worth a punt.

cafecillos

How can you go from being a £140m signing at age 25 to being on loan at Villa at age 29?
Well, it's not really a £140m signing, it's a £140m, Bartomeu's-Barça signing, which means it was an embarrassingly overpriced transfer even at the time.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Well, it's not really a £140m signing, it's a £140m, Bartomeu's-Barça signing, which means it was an embarrassingly overpriced transfer even at the time.
Always felt like Liverpool could barely believe their luck when Barca made the offer. The man was always massively overpriced. I wouldn’t have paid half of that for him.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He'll have 5 good games and then get fed up and disappear into obscurity again. Like James at Everton but probably without the bizarre testicular injuries.

Wilt

Great loan signing for Villa ….will be interesting to see how he does

Edit: just noticed as well as FA cup, Utd play Villa Saturday week .…nice timing ffs! :nervous: :lol:

Last edited:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Balague doesn't seem to think he'll cope back in the PL
Balague talks shite but in fairness, Coutinho has declined massively, especially physically. I expect a good start followed by average performances that’ll see him out the squad near the end of the season.

Blackwidow

I'm expecting James Rodriguez at Everton levels. Sometimes great wildly inconsistent.
James Rodriguez problem are his injuries and his attitude. But if he is fit he is for sure a class higher than Coutinho even if both just have a left foot - but James is far more creative and is having a much better eye for situations. If Coutinho gets near the box his only idea is to shoot even if their is not really a big possibility - he reminded me a lot on Douglas Costa - just without the speed and less dribbling ability. He gets his teammates frustrated very often. If you look at his Liverpool days the major difference was that he had a lot of confidence and converted this worldies - what he did not in other times of his career. It is interesting to see his shot map on https://understat.com/player/488 (scroll down to the graphic - you can choose the different seasons) especially in comparison of the single seasons. The numbers he had during his Bayern time are a little misleading as he only scored in a handful of matches mostly against teams on relegation ranks - that is when stats do not tell you the whole story.

But he might work better in a team with less ball possession.

Last edited:

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
He was always overrated, and there is a reason why Liverpool sold him and managed to do better without him. If you need the best out of him everything needs to go through him, and he is not that good for top team to be built around him.

Great signing for Villa though, and I reckon they can make him work really well considering they've had similar type of player in similar position in Grealish.
They sold him and managed to do better without him because Barca paid stupid money and they were able to buy better players

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Biggest poser of the last 10 years. Depay following closely.

A nothing player, just a few good months with Klopp.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
They sold him and managed to do better without him because Barca paid stupid money and they were able to buy better players
And?

That's why I said he is overrated, if Barca paid him 30-50m then it's a good piece of business, but paying him that stupid money is ridiculous.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
And?

That's why I said he is overrated, if Barca paid him 30-50m then it's a good piece of business, but paying him that stupid money is ridiculous.
So? Whats your point?

Liverpool did better cause they were able to buy better players with stupid money Barca paid.

macheda14

If he revive his Liverpool form then what a signing. But unfortunately most of the time when a player drops off this much they never hit those highs again, but could still be a good player for them.
Yeah I've always wondered how many examples there are of players' form dropping off a cliff (for an extended period, not like De Gea or currently Maguire) and then being able to refind it.

Blackwidow

Yeah I've always wondered how many examples there are of players' form dropping off a cliff (for an extended period, not like De Gea or currently Maguire) and then being able to refind it.
Some actually do not fall of the cliff but have because of team changes, injuries or system/coach changes different roles that do not get the best out of them. Some are just inconsistent or had a period in which everything went for them.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Biggest poser of the last 10 years. Depay following closely.

A nothing player, just a few good months with Klopp.
Not at all, his best period at Liverpool came under Rodgers, not Klopp.