Philippe Coutinho

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think you have misread. He said 23 goals and 20 assists across the WHOLE season, and he’d already scored half that amount in the first 6 months.

Ronaldo/ Messi score twice that - that would be outlandish.
I know what his said and those numbers for Coutinho are ridiculous

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
What's the idea with buying him unless we're preparing for Martial or Pogba to leave? He's most effective on the left side of midfield and we already have stock full of options there.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Its all media driven nonsense. We had similar threads on Dembele and potential transfer but since he has come to form nobody bothers to talk that up.

Will happen with Coutinho too. Just needs a run and these rumors will disappear.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
But he had half the goals across half the season? So it’s really not outrageous, Messi and Ronaldo were scoring 40+ goals not 23.
:rolleyes:

I don't care what he did in half a season, to think it's a given he'd have carried that rate and registered involvement in 40+ goals is ridiculous

:rolleyes:

I don't care what he did in half a season, to think it's a given he'd have carried that rate and registered involvement in 40+ goals is ridiculous
At no point did I say it was a given, I even said it was hypothetical!! Anyway, arguing over such hypothetical scenerios is incredibly futile. I’m out.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Another rumour without any logic. He is lw or no10. We don't need that especially for 100+ mil. Rubbish story. His agent is trying to put pressure on Valverde

dino76m

Supports
liverpool
Coutinho might be a one trick pony, but if you watch his first season ,the way he and Suares just hit it off was quite magical.It was probably their partnership at Liverpool that must have made Barca bid for him

Josep Dowling

we need a RW, not this guy.
Exactly, I've had a few United mates suggesting we should get him. Literally why? Lets buy a CAM who will probably cost £120m+, a position currently held by our best player.

The club made the same mistake with Sanchez.

RooneyLegend

Strange football environment atm. It's one where the likes of Ozil, Coutinho, Isco, J Rodriguez are struggling for consistent game time while there are plenty of big teams struggling to put together a decent team.

Member 114837

Although we actually improved after he left, I'd take him back in a heartbeat! Our midfield consists of workhorses without creativity. We got no AM's, and i think it prevents us from adjusting our style when needed. He could play as a left forward too.

It could be argued that our hardworking midfield adds to our defensive record, but like today, every now and then I feel we miss a link between midfield and attack. And that must also have been the reason why we were after Fekir in the summer.

I can't see it happening though. He will most probably bounce back in Barca, besides there's no way we're gonna pay anywhere near the amount we got for him.
Fekir is much more all-rounded to play the no.10 or the farthest AM than Coutinho, i.e. better defensively. Coutinho is a defensive liability in a 3 man midfield, and as a wide man he does not help his side fullback enough. Milner struggled lot of time because of lack of cover from Coutinho in the left wing.
Still Coutinho is a inside-forward, not a midfielder even with his lack of pace. Not sure he is what Liverpool needs right now.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Do not want. Not because he's ex liverpool btw. Just think he's too much of an Ozil type.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Overrated and overpriced. The Scousers have done better without him, little surprise that he’s not made it in Spain.
Pretty much and also needs a team built around him to get the best out of him. I think most United fans would agree the player we need to build around is Pogba.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
What a surprise that he doesn't assist or score too much when everything doesn't go through him and when he isn't allowed to take 20 shots per game.

the_irish123

Players like Coutinho, James and Isco as squad players can give you a champions league. Ask Madrid if they prefer to have James / Morata on the bench or Vazquez and Mariano. Because of this I think Barca win this years CL. The #10 player has become sort of a 12th player for big teams, to change a game or set up differently.

Wheato

WE NEED TO SIGN A CENTER BACK IN THE SAME MOULD OF STAM/VIDIC. ONE WHO STICKS HIS HEAD ONTO EVERYTHING AND DOES ALL THE DIRTY STUFF LIKE TACKLING, CUTTING OUT THE DANGER AND NAILING PEOPLE TO THE POINT WHERE THEY ARE TERRIFIED OF EVEN LOOKING IN THE DIRECTION OF OUR GOAL, NEVER MIND MAKING ANY SORT OF ATTEMPT TO SCORE. THEN WE NEED DOUGLAS COSTA. I DON'T CARE IF SANCHEZ GOES THE OTHER WAY AS PART OF THE DEAL. WHY AM I SHOUTING? BECAUSE MAYBE ED IS READING THIS RIGHT NOW. HI ED, SORT IT OUT YOU WEIRD PIXIE STOOGE!

Inter Yer Nan

I've always felt he's a bit overrated. He's talented for sure but relies on shooting from distance too much and how many of them go in? Liverpool's team flows much better without him as does/did Barca's. He'd hinder us more than help us. I don't think he's cut out to be the main man in a leading side.

Coops73

WE NEED TO SIGN A CENTER BACK IN THE SAME MOULD OF STAM/VIDIC. ONE WHO STICKS HIS HEAD ONTO EVERYTHING AND DOES ALL THE DIRTY STUFF LIKE TACKLING, CUTTING OUT THE DANGER AND NAILING PEOPLE TO THE POINT WHERE THEY ARE TERRIFIED OF EVEN LOOKING IN THE DIRECTION OF OUR GOAL, NEVER MIND MAKING ANY SORT OF ATTEMPT TO SCORE. THEN WE NEED DOUGLAS COSTA. I DON'T CARE IF SANCHEZ GOES THE OTHER WAY AS PART OF THE DEAL. WHY AM I SHOUTING? BECAUSE MAYBE ED IS READING THIS RIGHT NOW. HI ED, SORT IT OUT YOU WEIRD PIXIE STOOGE!
Alright mate, no need to shout.

Klopp_De_Klown

I think this is step 1 in them attempting to lure in Pogba showing us a replacement if we could be tempted.

deafepl

Manchester Evening New is reporting , he has an £88m asking price
£50m up front, with 40 m add on (10m if he starts for 20 games, 20m if he wins EPL or CL, 10 if he contributes 20+ goal for us), then I'd be happy with it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Worth noting MEN also say Barcelona don't want to sell.

MetoTTT

Strange football environment atm. It's one where the likes of Ozil, Coutinho, Isco, J Rodriguez are struggling for consistent game time while there are plenty of big teams struggling to put together a decent team.
They're all over rated imo. Very good players but no win factor for a team who will try to win all the titles. Dybala is another player who's over rated for me too. Some of them are really inconsistent too, flashy moments the they disappear! Fekir will be perfect IMO. He can play ala Silva on the right, defends really well, likes big games, great technique, vision, passing, scores a lot, creats a lot. This guy is a pitbull can play as SS too.
Or a Zaha type of player.

Member 114837

Noticed it just now, but Philippe spelling in the thread title is incorrect. :smirk:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Will we call him Phil as well like those feckwits down the road?

Bwuk

88m for a player who we’d be shoe horning in doesn’t sound a great idea.

Sauldogba

Its because the climate and tactics of football has changed over the past 5 or so years.
Since the annihilation of Barca by Bayern,the decline of tiki taka and the display of German efficiency vs Brazil (7-1) managers have clocked that you dont need a team full of midgets,who do a hundred step overs in a game to win things.

Football has changed to a more disciplined and faster paced direct game.
Think about what all of these guys have in common.

They are all silky players and are all fairy slow.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Do not want. Not because he's ex liverpool btw. Just think he's too much of an Ozil type.
He’s nothing like Özil. Özil turns up for 15 mins on a good day and goes missing completely for the rest of the match. Özil doesn’t score goals either Coutinho is a much better fit for the PL than Özil. Would take Coutinho at Arsenal in a heartbeat.

MetoTTT

Very good player but we don't need him. We don't need Isco, James, Dybala, Bale (injuries) either IMO.