Pick three players from 1999, and 2008 to go into our current side

ROFLUTION

De Gea
Bissaka - Maguire - Stam - Evra
Keane - Scholes
Ronaldo - Bruno - Rashford
Rooney

Bojan11

Thing that puts me off Beckham for this is 1) He didn't play as part of an attacking 3 like we do now.
And 2) Who would he be crossing these balls for? Cavani maybe, but our other forwards don't head!
He would play in the centre and score more goals, if he was playing now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Came here to post the opposite. We won’t win the league with current de Gea.
We could if we could throw in generational talents like Keane, Scholes and Vidic, or Rooney, Ronaldo and Ferdinand!

Mainoldo

De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Rio Stam Shaw
Keane
Scholes Pogba
Ronaldo Rooney Martial

Martial is horribly out of form, but on ability he’s better than Rashford. Rooney does what Bruno does but better, I feel like they’d get in each others way. Scholes & Pogba together would be unstoppable.
League winning team that.

SirAF

Ageist

2008: Ronaldo, Rio and Rooney.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
De Gea

AWB
Rio Stam Shaw

Scholes Keane Pogba

Ronaldo Rooney Rashford

Remember Gary Neville saying Keane used to go at the player if the receiving player had to break the stride while receiving the pass, in that case I don't think he will finish the game with players like AWB :D

diarm

I love Scholes to bits - he's alongside Cantona and Keane as my favourite ever United players. But as much as it breaks my heart, I'm leaving him out here.

With Bruno and Pogba in our side, we have greater need of what other players can bring than we do Scholes. It feels ridiculous saying that because I'd take one prime Scholes over both those two together but still, it's true.

We desparately need world class options in goals, at centre back, on the right wing and up front. We're also criminally short of genuine leadership. With all that in mind, I'd take Schmeichel, Stam and Keane from the 99 side and Rio, Ronaldo and Rooney from the 08 side. Leaving us with a starting 11 of:

Schmeichel
AWB Rio Stam Shaw
Keane Pogba
Ronaldo Bruno Rashford
Rooney​

jem

Ronaldo, Scholes, and Keane. It might not address our positional needs (ie. CB) but they are just too good to leave out. Obviously, very convincing cases could be made for Rooney (instantly solves our striker issue), Schmeichel (would be a huge upgrade over present day DDG, as would Van de Saar), Beckham (imagine him feeding balls into Ronaldo or Cavani), Giggs (would be an upgrade on Rashford, but that Rashford is still very good so not really in need of replacing), and any of Rio/Vidic/Stam (would instantly upgrade the defence.)

jem

Ah I misread the thread: I thought we could only pick 3 players total. if it can be up to 6, then I'm going with Scholes, Keane and Beckham from 1999, and Ronaldo, Rooney, and Rio from 2008.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It would be amazing to see Keane and AWB in the same side and also Lindelof and Schmeichel in the same side. There will be a war before half time.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Keane

Ronaldo & Carrick

DDG,
AWB, Maguire, Bailly, Shaw
Keane, Carrick, Pogba
Bruno, Ronaldo, Rashford

I think this midfield bangs any in the league off the park.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Van Der Sar 08

Neville 99
Ferdinand 08
Maguire
Shaw

Keane 99

Pogba
Fernandes

Giggs 99
Cavani
Ronaldo 08

--

Honestly think this solves every problem in the current side.

• A GK who's good with his feet, commands his area and doesn't make mistakes - check.
  • A RB who will get to the byline and can actually cross a ball - check
  • A pacey, ball-playing CB who can marshal the defence - check.
  • A dominant defensive midfielder to shield the defence and allow the other midfielders to create - check
  • A pacey, creative threat on the right wing - check.
  • A consistent goal threat - check

ROFLUTION

Strange one picking Evra, I’d say along with Bruno and possibly Awb, Shaw is the position least needing upgraded, much as I rated Evra.
Evra was on another level I feel, constantly a threat and giving so much to the attack. For me he was close to Marcelo level.
Shaw has been good for 1-2 seasons out of maybe 6-7 seasons. I think we need more attacking force with AWB in the side (good thing is that he covers for Ronaldo's lack of runs backwards - the thing Neville hated him for :lol: ).

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Schmeichel
AWB
Stam
Rio
Shaw
Keane
Pogba
Bruno
Ronaldo
Rooney
Rashford

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
1999 - Keane, Beckham, Stam
2008 - Ronaldo, Rooney, VDS

VDS
Wan Bissaka Stam Maguire Shaw
Beckham Keane Bruno
Ronaldo Rooney Rashford
So we can keep pretty much our 5 most reliable players from the current lineup with AWB, Maguire, Shaw, Bruno and Rashford, and then get our 2 most important players from 1999 in with Keane and Beckham to sort out creativity and balance in midfield, and have Stam and Van Der Sar organize the defence and provide ball playing ability too.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
stam, keane, bechkam

vidic, scholes, ronaldo

Zlatattack

Keane, Scholes, Giggs

Ronaldo, Rooney, Rio

Put it this way, none of our current squad would get into either of those teams, apart from Bruno, but he'd be on the bench too.

Zen86

Depressing how big the gap in quality between those teams and the current one is.