Pickford's tackle on VVD: What should be the punishment?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

In this day and age, a 'tackle' that would've been disgusting in the darkest eras of defending, should warrant a lengthy ban.

The picture still of the incident is tamer than the video - it was a true potential career ender of an assault.

Edit - gif:

In your opinion, what should Pickford be getting for this? In addition, what do you think he'll actually get?

Last edited:

RashyForPM

Every time you see it it gets worse. I’d give him an 8 match ban if Martial gets 3 for really serious foul play.

Nothing will happen to him though. This is why I think the FA isn’t corrupt towards any team, rather just incompetent.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What do they get for excessive aggression those days? 5 games? Or is it on a case-by-case basis? I'd give him something between 8 to 10 personally, an astonishingly horrendous tackle.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

In this day and age, a 'tackle' that would've been disgusting in the darkest eras of defending, should warrant a lengthy ban.

The picture still of the incident is tamer than the video - it was a true potential career ender of an assault.

In your opinion, what should Pickford be getting for this? In addition, what do you think he'll actually get?
Sided with Pickford initially as it looked like he was coming out quickly, making himself big, playing the angle like he was in an indoor or small side game, & the collision was more unfortunate than anything.

Now that I see this picture & watch the play from different angles, this is pretty bad. He could have pulled up a bit. He deserves a multiple game suspension. If that happens, Henderson could be GK1 for England as well for the next international round.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Absolutely awful tackle. Should be at least a 5 match ban for that.

But "assault" is a bit dramatic?

treble_winner

This is a Manchester United forum. You are doing it wrong. Aren't we supposed to give Pickford a Knighthood for that?
But then I remember this is the Redcafe, not a hardcore hub of angry fans. And I'm glad for that.

Reactions: Penna

PitTon

I just saw Robertson and Allen incident. It looked like he did it on purpose?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Pickford looks incredibly stupid.

I could be wrong and for all I know he could be supremely intelligent, but just looking at his face, he looks dumb as hell.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Pickford looks incredibly stupid.

I could be wrong and for all I know he could be supremely intelligent, but just looking at his face, he looks dumb as hell.
Henderson has the same dumb look as well, he’s just a better keeper than Pickford.

RashyForPM

Honestly though, I think Ancelotti would be privately delighted if Pickford got a ban. It’s one of those now where I think he’s just waiting for the moment where dropping him isn’t even controversial anymore.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
VAR is a complete fecking joke though, what is even the point of it?

Martial gets a red card and a three match ban for a scuffle and because Lamela is a play acting cnut. If hands to face is reason to send someone off then Lamela should have been sent off as well.

Here we have a career threatening tackle that also results in a nasty, long time injury and no action is taken. Not that i like sticking up for the dippers, but they are completely right here

K Stand Knut

I think the rules should be followed and let the authorities deal with it, as inept as they might be.

It’s an awful challenge but don’t be surprised if nothing happens and there is no punishment. If it was looked at and decided that the ref dealt with it at the time, it’s gone.

prateik

No they didn't, apparently they only checked the offside. Incompetent as always.
Nothing for Pickford. 5 games suspension for whoever was in charge of VAR for being useless. How can you miss that tackle.. there was a long enough stop so it wasnt that they had to rush.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It sets a dodgy precedence if the ref saw it, VAR saw it and both didn’t or couldn’t do anything during the game but then he can be banned after the match is concluded.

I am not saying he shouldn’t, he should be banned, but there shouldn’t be any need for banning players now after games have concluded because VAR should be used during the game to pick up and make these decisions in the 90 minutes.

Its a very loose argument but I do wonder if we could argue that if he is banned after another review.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Nothing as the time to do something was at the time of the incident. Can't go rewriting the rule book now just because it was against poor old Liverpool. Cry me a river

At the time though regardless of the offside (which in itself was debatable) should have obviously been a straight red card. Richarlison's red was even after a foul had been given for Everton wasn't it? It's that kind of inconsistency that really highlights the ineptitude of the officials

Pagh Wraith

Everton should have to play him for the rest of the season and should not be allowed to buy another goalkeeper in the next window.

POF

There's always been a grey area on this sort of lunge if it's the keeper. There probably shouldn't be, but it has always been the case.

It was dangerous but completely unintentional. He was trying to smother the shot.

Watching the game, my thought was that if it was onside, it was a clear penalty but a red card never even crossed my mind at the time. Mainly because keepers have got away with that type of lunge for years.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It should be a ban but there’s no way he will be because that would be admitting that the officials are shite which they will never do.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I think he will get a ban of 5 games. What doesn't help him is it gets worse every time we see it. Why oh why did VAR not get it-disgraceful!

youngrell

Both VVD and Thiago are lucky they reacted by jumping slightly during their challenges. Otherwise both could have broken legs quite easily.

Not sure on the punishment. What is the precedent?

Brophs

The One and Only
The punishment should be that Everton are forced to keep Pickford as first choice for the season

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

MBE

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They have VAR just for this situation.
You can't start dishing out bans afterwards or it's an even sillier farce and opens up loads of teams asking for punishments for others.

Lamela for his cheating the other week for starters.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Both VVD and Thiago are lucky they reacted by jumping slightly during their challenges. Otherwise both could have broken legs quite easily.

Not sure on the punishment. What is the precedent?
Let's await the news first.
A cruciate would be worse than a broken leg in recovery, if not in instant pain.

Castia

Straight red for sure, not got a clue why he wasn’t sent off regardless of vvd being offside.

No pen due to offside but straight red due to dangerous play.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
VAR is a complete fecking joke though, what is even the point of it?

Martial gets a red card and a three match ban for a scuffle and because Lamela is a play acting cnut. If hands to face is reason to send someone off then Lamela should have been sent off as well.

Here we have a career threatening tackle that also results in a nasty, long time injury and no action is taken. Not that i like sticking up for the dippers, but they are completely right here
VAR isn't the problem, it's just there to help authorities to see things they would otherwise miss in the heat of the game. It's the officials who use VAR who are the problem. These are the same incompetent referees we see week in week out. If you're using these same people then nothing is going to work. They should be clear rules and training given to them. If they still feck up, then get rid of them and see if you can find sensible people to handle this and hopefully (if we get lucky) people with integrity.

A knighthood?

In all seriousness, it's not assault. It was an attempted challenge that went wrong. Should have been a straight red during the game but that's all, and there have been worse in the past that have not been given.

Just because he was offside is not a get out in the rules either.

Last edited: