Pickford's tackle on VVD: What should be the punishment?

Chief123

I personally believe it should be a yellow card for VVD for simulation.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He should be punished. However, I'm not sure if it can happen if the VAR refs have already seen it. Not sure on that one.
The FA need to do whatever is necessary to punish the offending player with a ban. If that means adjusting the rules midway through the season to accommodate the ban then so be it.

They cannot be seen to ignore it.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
The FA need to do whatever is necessary to punish the offending player with a ban. If that means adjusting the rules midway through the season to accommodate the ban then so be it.

Fair enough. It normally takes a rare event for them to do that, though. So, I doubt it would happen.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Punishment? I was thinking more of a knighthood ;-)
I personally believe it should be a yellow card for VVD for simulation.
Statue outside Old Trafford
You'll likely feel very differently about the situation if/when a United player receives a similarly reckless challenge and is subsequently sidelined for over half a season as a result. Think about it.

The only way to avoid that is the through FA handing out a retrospective ban, which will act as a detterent to future offenses of a similar nature. Whereas ignoring it, allowing Pickford to escape scot-free, only encourages players to do it more, safe in the knowledge that no punishment will come.

Chief123

You'll likely feel very differently about the situation if/when a United player receives a similarly reckless challenge and is subsequently sidelined for over half a season as a result. Think about it.

The only way to avoid that is the through FA handing out a retrospective ban, which will act as a detterent to future offenses of a similar nature. Whereas ignoring it, allowing Pickford to escape scot-free, only encourages players to do it more, safe in the knowledge that no punishment will come.
The jokes went right over your head.

Secondly, we need to calm down here. There was absolutely no intent from Pickford. Yes it’s still a red card for a clumsy reckless tackle endangering the opponent. But let’s chill out and realise it was stupidity more than malice.

Chief123

What rule would you need to adjust? Under the current rules it’s still a red card. Nothing needs adjusting. The officials just missed it and applied the rules wrongly.

buckooo1978

it was dangerous but I don't think Pickford set out to injure VVD

In terms of retrospective action where does that stop?

Fair enough if the referee reviews the decision and gives a ban of some sort

What about Mane's antics for example. He simulated injury at least twice in that game - should he get 2 yellows

I think we need to understand that referees make mistakes. If it seemed that Pickford went out to injure VVD or he regularly was this reckless then fair enough but I think this was more an unfortunate misjudgement

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The jokes went right over your head.

Secondly, we need to calm down here. There was absolutely no intent from Pickford. Yes it’s still a red card for a clumsy reckless tackle endangering the opponent. But let’s chill out and realise it was stupidity more than malice.
They didn't go over my head, I just didn't find them very funny.

How can you say with any degree of certainty there was no intent from Pickford?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
What rule would you need to adjust? Under the current rules it’s still a red card. Nothing needs adjusting. The officials just missed it and applied the rules wrongly.
I'm not fully aware of the rules on retrospective punishments to tell you the truth. I was merely replying to a poster who suggested a retrospective punishment may not be possible.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Nothing. The match is over and it was just a tackle. Just because it's Liverpool doesn't make it any different than many other tackles that hasn't been punished. It's not an assault

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Nothing. The match is over and it was just a tackle. Just because it's Liverpool doesn't make it any different than many other tackles that hasn't been punished. It's not an assault
Okay, so free for all to jump into players if the ref blows the whistle for something else, got it!

People who argues that there should be no punishment for this, in theory, doesnt that mean players can intentionally try to injure each other as long as a call is made for something else just prior?

Im not at all saying Pickford did this on purpose btw, just that if you want no punishment for this, players can actually start abusing the system.
Ive not read every post.

I would suggest anyone saying he shouldn’t be punished, is saying so, on the presumption that the ref saw the incident - and deemed it not actionable.

if that’s the case, then no he should be punished - because then you are going down the line of judging every decision the ref makes, and potentially taking retrospection action all the time.

the only time retrospective action should take place is if the ref has missed the incident. Not when we disagree.

the misconception that you can do anything to a player once the whistle has blown was cleared up very quickly. As an example James got sent off after the end of the match in midweek, and that happens all the time.

either the ref missed it, or he saw it and didn’t take action. At no point did he not take action due it it being offside or gabbing blown the whistle.

Chief123

They didn't go over my head, I just didn't find them very funny.

How can you say with any degree of certainty there was no intent from Pickford?
Are you a Liverpool fan by any chance?

If you’re trying to use the narrative that Pickford intended that, then it’s just bizarre.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

Of course I would think differently. That's because I'm obviously a hypocrite. Or maybe...just maybe...I wasn't really serious and you need to turn on your sarcasm detector and stop taking everything so literally...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Are you a Liverpool fan by any chance?

If you’re trying to use the narrative that Pickford intended that, then it’s just bizarre.
I don't see how my view on the incident could be related to which club I support, but no, I'm a United fan for what it's worth.

What narrative? It was an awful challenge, intended or otherwise, and fully deserving of retrospective punishment.

There is no way to determine if Pickford meant to cause harm.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Punishment? He wasn't even booked. Blame it on the ref and VAR. Leave the lad alone. It was a clumsy action but obviously he didn't want to destroy him on purpose.

If DDG had done this, there would be already a scouser petition to eject him to Spain/ban him from ever returning to England.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If vvd is out for 6 months the only proper punishment for Pickford should also be a 6 month ban. It was clearly a reckless tackle and should be punished harshly. Last season Romelu also tried to badly injure Greenwood. Tough punishments are required.
That'll give Ancelotti and Southgate an excuse to finally drop Pickford.

fps

Retrospective three match ban for a straight red.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Pickford needs an extended ban for that challenge, no question.

The FA would be setting a dangerous precident by ignoring it.
No he doesn’t need an extended ban. But it does need to be a retrospective red card and automatic 3 game ban.

under the current rules you can’t ban him for longer than that as you can’t prove intent

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
It should be a three game ban for reckless play. Those calling for longer bans of whatever arbitrary length, how would you grade these?
A potential legbreaker 5 games? Draw blood 6 games?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Okay, so free for all to jump into players if the ref blows the whistle for something else, got it!
The VAR checked it and didn't deem it worthy of any action. You can agree or disagree, but that's the rule. Match is over so its closed case now. If Pickford is punished then there are lots of tackles that should get punished retrospectively.

Laws are clear on this one. It can only be punished if it was missed. Since they saw replay before offside call, it wasn't missed. Case closed.

Fridge chutney

I've thought this for awhile but this incident highlights my belief that for challenges like this, punishment needs to be greater than standard. When you endanger the safety of your opponent and cause them injury by being reckless, 3 matches isn't enough. For example, if I punched someone on the street, I would get a sterner punishment if they died.

The fact that Pickford will go unpunished is a joke.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The VAR checked it and didn't deem it worthy of any action. You can agree or disagree, but that's the rule. Match is over so its closed case now. If Pickford is punished then there are lots of tackles that should get punished retrospectively.

Laws are clear on this one. It can only be punished if it was missed. Since they saw replay before offside call, it wasn't missed. Case closed.
Fair enough.

As long as there is some form of retrospective punishment then I guess that's all that matters.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I've thought this for awhile but this incident highlights my belief that for challenges like this, punishment needs to be greater than standard. When you endanger the safety of your opponent and cause them injury by being reckless, 3 matches isn't enough. For example, if I punched someone on the street, I would get a sterner punishment if they died.

The fact that Pickford will go unpunished is a joke.
It would be outrageous.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Along albeit somewhat dissimilar lines, no punishment for Aguero will occur either, according to PGMOL.

Idxomer

On a side note, I always felt goalkeepers get a lot of leeway being thuggish.

Remember this

UncleBob

On a side note, I always felt goalkeepers get a lot of leeway being thuggish.

Remember this

The margin between that ending badly and ending well is quite small, if he plants his knee in his head it's going to be bad

shahzy

It should be a three game ban for reckless play. Those calling for longer bans of whatever arbitrary length, how would you grade these?
A potential legbreaker 5 games? Draw blood 6 games?
Well seeing as Martial got 3 games for tapping that pussy Lamela on the face and this has potentially ruptured VVD's ACL I'd be leaning more towards 6+ frankly. I hate seeing thuggish shit on a pitch no matter who is playing