Pickford's tackle on VVD: What should be the punishment?

archiebald

Straight red who cares if it's offside or not - the tackle was horrendous. Zidane got a red for headbutting Materazzi when play wasn't even ongoing for fecks sake.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Feck the intent discussion. It was a reckless tackle with no regard for the opponent's safety. That's a red all day long.
Exactly. I am so disappointed in VAR because i thought we now would see thuggish behavior, dangerous challenges and play acting properly handled. Instead we get offside calls that are "offside" by the length of a gnats dick and ridiculous handballs

Mind you, the technology is fine, its just the idiots using it that causes problems

Marcus

Straight red and standard ban. Nothing more, nothing less.
Yup I agree. Actually him living in Liverpool is punishment enough. I don't know he can safely walk on the streets without security from now on.

Judas

Open to offers
Him not getting the standard ban for dangerous play is wildly ridiculous, and yet not surprising, there's been no consistency with this sort of thing for as long as I've been alive.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There are two issues really that I have a slight issue; a) I used to think the FA's policy of re-refereeing incidents was a sensible one but only for run of the mill incidents. If someone was given a red card for 2 yellows, or someone should have gotten a second yellow but ref saw it from a particular angle then deemed not worthy of a second yellow etc thinks like that. But surely it can't so that there is no wiggle room at all. It's nonsense that it's such a black and white rule. "Refs seen it" has become such a meme now because they're wilfully tying their own hands behind their backs in cases where so very obviously and clearly deserves retrospective punishment. And b) not being able to book or send someone off because Van Dijk was offside is the literally one of the silliest things to come out of this weekend.

There are two issues really that I have a slight issue; a) I used to think the FA's policy of re-refereeing incidents was a sensible one but only for run of the mill incidents. If someone was given a red card for 2 yellows, or someone should have gotten a second yellow but ref saw it from a particular angle then deemed not worthy of a second yellow etc thinks like that. But surely it can't so that there is no wiggle room at all. It's nonsense that it's such a black and white rule. "Refs seen it" has become such a meme now because they're wilfully tying their own hands behind their backs in cases where so very obviously and clearly deserves retrospective punishment. And b) not being able to book or send someone off because Van Dijk was offside is the literally one of the silliest things to come out of this weekend.
I would have agreed in the past but then you see the response to this tackle and other recent incidents. The FA already struggles to stay impartial, how would they behave if they were being hounded by Liverpool or City fans every time any of their players get tackled?

Also, the offside had nothing to do with him not getting sent off. Red cards for serious foul play and violent conduct can be given any time.

jeff_goldblum

It's a bad, bad tackle but we see a dozen of them every season in this league (luckily most don't end in serious injury). A red should have been given, along with the free kick to Everton for offside. I do think a red for dangerous play should warrant a longer than a red for other reasons, but talk of 6 month bans is hyperbolic Scouse nonsense. The main issue is with the competence of the referee and the ridiculous precedent that if a referee sees a clear red card incident and fails to punish it, they can't be overruled after the game.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I would have agreed in the past but then you see the response to this tackle and other recent incidents. The FA already struggles to stay impartial, how would they behave if they were being hounded by Liverpool or City fans every time any of their players get tackled?

Also, the offside had nothing to do with him not getting sent off. Red cards for serious foul play and violent conduct can be given any time.
But surely there has to be a middle ground between or a third alternative if you will, between 'refs seen it' and the untrustworthy FA scenario you mention. I just don't think the current way of doing things works if incidents like this go unpunished.

Why wasn't he given a red card then? Did the ref simply not deem it reckless enough? I haven't really kept up with the news surrounding the incident since it happened but the reasons they gave during and after the game was that the play was called dead just prior to the tackle because of the offside.

Last edited:

NotThatSoph

But surely there has to be a middle ground between or a third alternative if you will, between 'refs seen it' and the untrustworthy FA scenario you mention. I just don't think the current way of doing things works if incidents like this go unpunished.

Why wasn't he given a red card then? Did the ref simply not deem reckless enough? I haven't really kept up with the news surrounding the incident since it happened but the reasons they gave during and after the game was that the play was called dead just prior to the tackle because of the offside.
If I had to guess, I'd say the refs saw it but just didn't think about it because it was offside anyway. Extremely stupid, but that's the only thing that even approaches making sense for me. If it was just the main referee then I could see him missing it, but they did a VAR check for offside so that's no excuse.

Why wasn't he given a red card then? Did the ref simply not deem it reckless enough? I haven't really kept up with the news surrounding the incident since it happened but the reasons they gave during and after the game was that the play was called dead just prior to the tackle because of the offside.
The offisde cancels out the foul and any goalscoring opportunity, but not a straight red for serious foul play. My guess is the referee decided as it wasn't intentional and it was a good (i.e no studs up etc) but mistimed challenge, it wasn't worthy of that.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I mean it’s common sense right? It’s clearly not a malicious challenge.
Hard to call intent but yeah its common sense for sure. Just not something I'm used of seeing from Liverpool supporters (nor any clubs for that matter)

Nikelesh Reddy

In this day and age, a 'tackle' that would've been disgusting in the darkest eras of defending, should warrant a lengthy ban.

The picture still of the incident is tamer than the video - it was a true potential career ender of an assault.

In your opinion, what should Pickford be getting for this? In addition, what do you think he'll actually get?
Probably a 6 match ban would be appropriate....

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Will Everton be getting t shirts made too?

Common sense from Ancelotti...

reddyornot

He should be made to carry the Livepool players inhalers around in a big black suitcase until the end of the season.

Real Name

Going by the media reactions together with those from Liverpool camp you'd think the guy died.
I mean I feel sorry for him, it's a horrible injury and it seems it's even worse than 1st thought but the whole story has been totally overblown. Not to mention he made some nasty tackles himself in the past.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Personally, I want Pickford made Player of the Season. At the minimum, at least makes PL team of the season. Anyone who winds up the Dippers to this extent wins my seal of approval.

Leethal

The injury is unfortunate. I get that. But, it's football - this kind of thing happens most every match day.

Why, then, are people treating this like he has some form of terminal illness he needs to recover from?

Depay pulling up his shirt last night with "Virgil: Stay Strong brother".

What the feck is this about? All I've heard for two week is about Van Dijks injury. Everyone has had a piece to say about it.

Again, it's shit to be Van Dijk. I genuinely feel for the fella; but surely at this point, with all the carry on, (and Van Dijk being a humble lad), it's got to the point that it's embarrassing for him now.