Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang | Performances

Brophs

The One and Only
Form is temporary, class is permanent. This is what happens when he gets chances.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

That’s more OGs than non-penalty goals in the league since signing the mega contract.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
He got his payday and now is not arsed anymore. He was world class for a long time, from his time at Dortmund, but now just didn't seem to have the same energy he had before.

That's always a risk with giving a high paying long term contract to an aging player. I was thinking that Arsenal should've cashed in on him this summer and reinforced, now he'll be a burden on the club like Ozil and Sanchez were.
I’m not an Auba fan and am glad United didn’t pursue him, but I think that is a bit harsh on him personally. He was never world class. There’s a reason Arsenal got him uncontested. He’s a good goalscorer if you play him at CF and build a team to serve him chances, but he’s probably not elite enough to make it worthwhile if you ambitions of challenging for the league.

Turning him into a wide player and trying to reinvent him into something more hard-working is just stupid however and may well cost Arteta his job long term.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I know he has some limit in what he offers in the team but I never realise how poor his work rate is. At least with Vardy, he’s not just giving you goals and speed but also aggression and work rate but Aubameyang doesn’t offer that.

You take away his goals for being clinical and his long shooting technique, he doesn’t offer anything else. No aggression, lack of work rate, can’t hold the ball to bring others into play & no dribbling ability.

And now he’s no longer clinical, he’s becoming a burden in the arsenal team as Laca offers more.

Pep's Suit

3 goals (incl 1 pen) in 15 league games is absolutely shocking. He needs to wake up or this is another Ozil situation for Arsenal.

RUCK4444

What’s going on with him? Since he signed the new deal he’s gone to shite.

I thought it was good business by Arsenal to keep him at the club as they aren’t going to get a better quality striker with the lack of money they spend. But he has dropped off a cliff performance wise.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Maybe he’s just had age catch up with him, isn’t he like 32? I always thought the fee they paid for him was a lot considering his age. Should have moved around the time City were in for him.

Edit: actually only 31, and 56 million isn’t too bad these days for two and a half seasons of top class form. Didn’t realise he’s already in his 4th season at arsenal!

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Needs counter attacking football and Arsenal stopped playing that way this season?

Crosses and patient build up don't suit his style, needs space to run in to. Can see him at his best in the FA cup final last year.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It's probably worth noting that his xG90 since arriving in London has gone down each year and quite dramatically since Arteta took charge:
From 0.78 to 0.77 to 0.47 to 0.28 now.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The only way to see if it's just a form slump or a proper decline is to get better creativity round about him. With Saka on the right, Smith-Rowe emerging, Martinelli coming back to fitness, Tierney now consistently playing left back there's energy & a vibrancy round about him. Let's see if it sparks him into life, or if it is more of a problem.

Could have got a decent price for him in the summer, even in a Covid market.

very difficult to judge when a player is about to go into a slide. Of course it could be temporary, but as it’s been said, if not Arsenal are now lumbered with him.

how long a contract did he sign last year?

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
It's the set-up, rather than Auba. I don't think he's playing differently to the majority of his time at Arsenal.

He's not a striker that creates his own chances, and given that, he's going to look crap in this team. That's then hurt his confidence, making the issue worse.

Pep's Suit

From stucked with Ozil, Mkhitaryan to stucked with Aubameyang and Willian while they've also gave long-term contracts to several average players.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
From stucked with Ozil, Mkhitaryan to stucked with Aubameyang and Willian while they've also gave long-term contracts to several average players.
Stuck with Willian i give you. Don't mind being stuck with Auba right now.

Bojan11

He was abysmal yesterday. Stones was bullying him.

Another mistake by Arsenal giving him a big contract.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He was abysmal yesterday. Stones was bullying him.

Another mistake by Arsenal giving him a big contract.
To be fair, if you want a striker that can bully defenders, Auba was never your man!

RashyForPM

To be fair, if you want a striker that can bully defenders, Auba was never your man!
That’s true. Aubameyang needs balls in behind to use his speed, at which point it’s a foregone conclusion that he scores. His attacking positioning is also excellent which either gives him an open goal if the service is good (Tierney was an embarrassment yesterday) or time for a good finish.

Still though, I agree with the last part of Bojan’s post. Arsenal should not be giving a 31 year old 300K per week. Obviously he got it before his stark decline this season, but it’s no excuse for such a bad decision.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
That’s true. Aubameyang needs balls in behind to use his speed, at which point it’s a foregone conclusion that he scores. His attacking positioning is also excellent which either gives him an open goal if the service is good (Tierney was an embarrassment yesterday) or time for a good finish.

Still though, I agree with the last part of Bojan’s post. Arsenal should not be giving a 31 year old 300K per week. Obviously he got it before his stark decline this season, but it’s no excuse for such a bad decision.
Yeah, the team in general was shockingly bad yesterday, & like you say, Auba is a service guy. Like Vardy, if you starve him of service, they can be pretty ineffective.

He probably doesn't deserve that much of a contract (who does really), but I don't think it's the worst thing in the world. He'll score goals if you play him through the middle & surround him with creativity. I like the idea of having 3 of Saka, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli or Odegaard buzzing around him. That then becomes less effective when the likes of Pepe & Willian are introduced, or when the likes of Elneny are playing in midfield (as much as I don't like having a go at him).

Pep's Suit

4 goals in 11 PL games, 10 in 29 last season. He totally gave up after he signed that new contract. £55m/3-year for this and he even was Arsenal's captain for some time. Terrible, terrible decision.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Got the new contract and stopped caring. Too busy thinking about life outside of football and I don’t really blame him too much. All on Arsenal. They should’ve let him go.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Him and Lacazette are just a waste of time. Must be on about 300k between them if not more.

Alexander Izak would be a very good signing for them if they could tempt him from Spain so that's the sort they should target once they get mass wages off the books.