Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang | Performances

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
People so desperate to criticize Arteta that they are bringing their agenda to the Aubameyang thread and using his unprofessionalism as a stick to beat Arteta with :lol:

Happy things are working out for Aubameyang, Barca and Arsenal.

Looks like it's one of those rare deals where everyone wins.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
People so desperate to criticize Arteta that they are bringing their agenda to the Aubameyang thread and using his unprofessionalism as a stick to beat Arteta with :lol:

If arsenal board is not concerned by it, I doubt Arteta cares what others think. They are the one losing money on Auba.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Even Auba himself said on Twitter that sometimes a breakup is best for both parties. I’m happy for him.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Use him as a number 9 and not as a left winger or sometimes lwb. Auba has proven he never lost it. You guys did need a goal scorer and he was one.

Anyways it has worked out well for all parties till now so it is fine.
I am not talking about this season alone. Even last season there were games he was used on left wing. Point is he never lost it and would have scored plenty in an attacking setup ( being proven now). Arteta's system never worked for him. Not a coincidence a guy who was constantly bagging 30 odd goals in all competitions stopped scoring goals under Arteta's setup.
In the 19/20 season when Arteta came in at the end of December, Aubameyang had what was probably his best goalscoring period at the club statistically, playing mainly on the left. It was definitely more of a clash of personalities than a tactical problem, and I don't think Arteta is the best when it comes to people skills (at least from our vantage point).

You only have to watch his performances at Arsenal this season (in a central role) to see that there was no way forward for him at Arsenal and a move was best for all parties.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
When you realize we didn’t get a fee, are still paying part of his wages and are left with a striker who couldn’t score in a brothel. Lord help Arteta if we miss out on 4th.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
When you realize we didn’t get a fee, are still paying part of his wages and are left with a striker who couldn’t score in a brothel. Lord help Arteta if we miss out on 4th.
Yeah, the narrative will turn in an instant.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I don't understand what the big deal is missing top 4 and the team is in transition. Arsenal is not in CL since 2016. I don't know the detail about Auba situation in arsenal and his free release detail so won't comment on it further.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I don't understand what the big deal is missing top 4 and the team is in transition. Arsenal is not in CL since 2016. I don't know the detail about Auba situation in arsenal and his free release detail so won't comment on it further.
We ain’t the only team in transition. 4th place is there for the taking now and unless you assume United are going to continue being this sh1t it might not be as easy next season. If we collapse and finish outside 4th it means lower revenue and reduced ability to attract players who want to play in the CL. Make hay while the sun shines and all that.

The fact that you don’t see it as a big deal is exactly why it’s a big deal. We don’t even expect to finish 4th anymore despite our rivals being in a bigger mess than we are.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I still think arsenal were right to get shot, we could learn something from that. It doesn’t matter how he may perform at his new team. His attitude at arsenal was stinking the place out and dragging the squad down

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I still think arsenal were right to get shot, we could learn something from that. It doesn’t matter how he may perform at his new team. His attitude at arsenal was stinking the place out and dragging the squad down
exactly this, been a great deal for all parties

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If we collapse and finish outside 4th it means lower revenue and reduced ability to attract players who want to play in the CL.

We don’t even expect to finish 4th anymore despite our rivals being in a bigger mess than we are.
It has been the case since 2016.

If you think Arsenal can finish at 4th place regularly, or has any given right to be 4th, then you better be prepared to be disappointed on a regular basis. Money talks and you can't keep your best talent without money, includes manager, players and backroom staffs. Arsenal has the 5th wage bill in EPL. It will drift in and out from 4th to 6th. If we get really lucky we can do a atletico madrid in La Liga once a while or get lucky in cup competition. Until Arsenal can improve its revenue that is the way it is.

Man Utd will clean up their mess eventually. Money do solve problem. If Liverpool has the resources like Man Utd, there won't be any discussion about Salah's contract renewal.

Lentwood

It's because people are so outcome-orientated, they can't see past the last game and understand the bigger picture.

Even if Auba scores 150 goals at Barcelona, that doesn't make Arteta's decision 'wrong'

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So many people assuming correlation = causation. Arsenal improve after Auba leaves means his departure must be a factor in their improvement. Here’s a thought. Maybe Arsenal’s form since he left has nothing to do with him?

There’s definitely a parallel universe where he wasn’t bum rushed out of the club and is doing exactly what he’s doing at Barcelona in an Arsenal shirt. There are plenty of other explanations for Arsenal’s recent form anyway, which mainly seems to be around improvements in central midfield and defence. If anything, their biggest remaining flaw is doing what Auba does best, scoring goals.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Since Auba was effectively removed from the side, Arsenal are: 10 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses having scored 26 and conceded 9.

Prior to that (with Auba in the side), we had 7 wins, 2 draws, and 6 losses having scored 18 and conceded 22.

We're only in position to compete for fourth because of the massive improvement the club made since he left the side. It was obviously a good decision whether we end up getting 4th or not. It also saved us something like 20-25m in wages between this year and next, which is about half the difference a club like Arsenal are likely to get from being in CL versus being in EL.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
@GoonerBear

I did tell you…
He's done well, and I'm happy for him. But he was awful for us this season, and we made a tough decision. I think we made a brave decision to cut our losses to remove the toxicity & take a bit of a financial hit for the overall benefit of the team.

And while you can't argue that Aubameyang has played much better at Barca & clearly isn't finished, I believe you also can't argue that we've improved our play without him.

So, a move that suits all parties, & both come out the other end better.

Perhaps you guys should make a few tough decisions and do the same.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's done well, and I'm happy for him. But he was awful for us this season, and we made a tough decision. I think we made a brave decision to cut our losses to remove the toxicity & take a bit of a financial hit for the overall benefit of the team.

And while you can't argue that Aubameyang has played much better at Barca & clearly isn't finished, I believe you also can't argue that we've improved our play without him.

Perhaps you guys should make a few tough decisions and do the same.
I was still correct though:angel:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Ha. Dragonball. Takes me way back!

Kinda agree with this. It doesn't matter how good someone is. If, for whatever reason, they don't want to be good for you it doesn't matter.

This is the trap Man Utd has fallen into with too many players. Thinking that just changing the manager and/or offering more money will suddenly get big performances out of players. Ultimately, sometimes a player just falls into a rut. Maybe its the manager, maybe its the league, maybe its the club. Sometimes a change is needed and it suits everyone when it happens. That seems to be what's happened with Aubameyang and Arsenal.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
So many people assuming correlation = causation. Arsenal improve after Auba leaves means his departure must be a factor in their improvement. Here’s a thought. Maybe Arsenal’s form since he left has nothing to do with him?

There’s definitely a parallel universe where he wasn’t bum rushed out of the club and is doing exactly what he’s doing at Barcelona in an Arsenal shirt. There are plenty of other explanations for Arsenal’s recent form anyway, which mainly seems to be around improvements in central midfield and defence. If anything, their biggest remaining flaw is doing what Auba does best, scoring goals.
Correlation does not necessarily equal causation but in this case there are many reasons to believe that some part of the improvement was directly caused by Auba leaving.

On the pitch, Arsenal are winning because (a) we are able to control matches in possession and having a striker able to drop into midfield is a huge part of that and (b) because our off-ball work rate and organization has been excellent, and Auba was always a weak link in that regard. Auba leaving has also allowed Martinelli to grow into a bigger role because the two of them really couldn't play together.

Off the pitch, its pretty clear that while Auba was well liked by other players his constant breaking of team rules and tension with Arteta was leading to problems. He was our captain and he was the least committed player to what the manager was selling. That is just not a good situation. And the team has never looked as happy and unified and together as the last few months.

Sometimes the relationship just isn't working and its time for the player to move somewhere else. It happened to Auba at BvB too.

I'm happy he has landed well.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I was still correct though:angel:
Haha, you were that. And I'm happy for Auba, was he treated harsh, we'll never know the ins & outs, but I don't like seeing players leave like that, I much prefer proper goodbyes, especially with likeable characters. It's still rankels me we never got 1 with Cazorla for instance.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Haha, you were that. And I'm happy for Auba, was he treated harsh, we'll never know the ins & outs, but I don't like seeing players leave like that, I much prefer proper goodbyes, especially with likeable characters. It's still rankels me we never got 1 with Cazorla for instance.
we may have an idea with next season's Amazon all or nothing - Arsenal.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

My feeling is that he had a bit of the “Pogba’s” and his attitude wasn’t going to be tolerated. At a different club in a different league he can score his goals and all is great again. I think as regards arsenal it’s a few things but him leaving seems to have brought the group together, he was after all their captain who couldn’t be arsed buying into what arteta was coaching

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
This is one weird breakup that has actually worked a treat for both Arsenal and the player, and neither should have any regrets about moving on.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Said it in the other thread but the Auba incident really is a blessing in disguise, he’s been woeful for a while and Martinelli adds a lot more
That was said the first game he was dropped for off the field reasons back when he was still at Arsenal. It was really obvious he'd been detrimental to the side for a long time, the biggest reasoning being the complete lack of off the ball movement he was providing, something which he'd always excelled at (and had contributed with strongly when Arteta first took over).

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
It has been the case since 2016.

If you think Arsenal can finish at 4th place regularly, or has any given right to be 4th, then you better be prepared to be disappointed on a regular basis. Money talks and you can't keep your best talent without money, includes manager, players and backroom staffs. Arsenal has the 5th wage bill in EPL. It will drift in and out from 4th to 6th. If we get really lucky we can do a atletico madrid in La Liga once a while or get lucky in cup competition. Until Arsenal can improve its revenue that is the way it is.

Man Utd will clean up their mess eventually. Money do solve problem. If Liverpool has the resources like Man Utd, there won't be any discussion about Salah's contract renewal.
The fact that you understand this makes it all the more bizarre that you don’t think missing out this season is a big deal.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
we may have an idea with next season's Amazon all or nothing - Arsenal.
There is no chance Arsenal let anything bad/weird related to Auba in the final version. It will be sugar-coated to death and done with in 1 minute.

Loon

:lol:
He's had a decent start, but he'll probably revert to his ways once he gets to grips with the Barcelona nightclubs.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Know what pisses me off, in hindsight? He's a born madridista, dreamed of playing for us AND was exactly the sort of reinforcement we needed in January. As a bonus, we could have sent Jovic on loan the other way too

Feck sake

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
Honestly, if he can keep his current form I don't think we need to look for a striker in the next window. If he can do what he has been doing for us for the next couple of years he would be one the best signings ever. Free, came when most needed, scoring in almost every Game. I really can't believe how lucky we were to get such a striker for free.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal

You'd have to watch the games when he played and then watch the games straight after he was dropped. It was essentially moving from playing with 10 players to being able to play with 11 players again. Now there certainly is the argument that the manager wasn't playing to his strengths but there's also the argument that he wasn't putting the effort in. Either way Auba wasn't working in Arteta's system of play