Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang | Performances

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He facinates me a bit. His goal record has been top notch wherever he's been but he never really elevates his side's to the next level.

haram

He facinates me a bit. His goal record has been top notch wherever he's been but he never really elevates his side's to the next level.
That's because he lacks in so many areas for a number 9. Did anyone for example expect him to win a single header against Kabasele or Dawson? In the second half it was relentless from Watford and Aubameyang does nothing.

RooneyLegend

You can swap him for any striker in the world and they wont be elevating Arsenal, that side is a mess.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You can swap him for any striker in the world and they wont be elevating Arsenal, that side is a mess.
Fair enough but it was the same case with Dortmund, they genuinely look(ed) a lot better without him either side of him being there.

I try and picture him playing for Chelsea these last couple of years and while I'd have welcomed him I don't think he'd have had half the impact on the team as a whole that Diego Costa did even with his goal tally suggesting otherwise.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Fair enough but it was the same case with Dortmund, they genuinely look(ed) a lot better without him either side of him being there.

I try and picture him playing for Chelsea these last couple of years and while I'd have welcomed him I don't think he'd have had half the impact on the team as a whole that Diego Costa did even with his goal tally suggesting otherwise.
Don't think that's true. Dortmund's strongest season post Klopp was Tuchel's first, when Aubameyang was brilliant as their main goalscorer. Add him to Dortmund's squad last season and they would have easily won the league.

RooneyLegend

What other changes happened at the club? You honestly think they wouldnt want to have him as part pf their front line now?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Don't think that's true. Dortmund's strongest season post Klopp was Tuchel's first, when Aubameyang was brilliant as their main goalscorer. Add him to Dortmund's squad last season and they would have easily won the league.
Like many other strikers Aubameyang is about as good as the team behind him. If he gets service or offered some space he's deadly, but if the midfield behind him struggles he can be quite subdued, because he can't really drop deep (effectively). Alcacer is quite similar in that regard, he doesn't have that deadly acceleration, but I think he's better when it comes to lay-offs and 1-touch combinations - I'm not sure Aubameyang would've been a huge upgrade on the Alcacer/Götze partnership last season. Lewandowski's all-around play on the other hand is a class apart.

I think that unless you have one of the top 3-5 strikers in your team you will always have a trade off between goal scoring and football skills on the striking position and if your team needs a goal scorer or counter attacks a lot then Aubameyang is a terrific striker.

Idxomer

The closest player to RVN today.

Shame the club didn't show any real interest in him when they were shopping for a striker.

RyRoc

Underrated IMO. Yes his record in the big games is not great and he misses chances but his movement and anticipation around the box is fantastic and his runs are excellent. I think those who think that he'll be finished once his pace goes are in for a shock. He has an excellent football brain in terms of seeking out chances.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Saved us once again. Best 60M we ever spent.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
He's the most underrated striker in the world.
Really weird player at times, his record against the top sides lets him down. He seems to go into his shell in those games but against other sides you'll struggle to find many better strikers. I think his hold up play is what really lets him down. Also has a habit of missing sitters, he scored 22 goals last season but he should have had around 30 with the chances he missed. He'll miss these easy chances but then score these ridiculously hard ones.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Really weird player at times, his record against the top sides lets him down. He seems to go into his shell in those games but against other sides you'll struggle to find many better strikers. I think his hold up play is what really lets him down. Also has a habit of missing sitters, he scored 22 goals last season but he should have had around 30 with the chances he missed. He'll miss these easy chances but then score these ridiculously hard ones.
That's probably because the way Emery sets up his team against top sides. He barely gets services, gets half chance, not enough bodies forward to open up space to attack, or the opposition teams like City/Pool are hagging possession etc.

kolli

Watzke said that he believes Auba would be very happy with all the money he has now, but that he‘s certainly sad to see how well it‘s going in the Champions League for Borussia

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Anyone know what brought this about? Seems out of character for Auba, he seems pretty laid back usually
Watzke, in an interview to Suddeutsche Zeitung, suggested that Aubameyang’s move to Arsenal was motivated by money:
Some go to clubs because of this money, where they have not played Champions League for years.
[Pierre-Emerick] Aubameyang, who plays great at Arsenal, will probably be warm-hearted when he looks at his bank account, but on Wednesdays will be saddened when he has to watch the Champions League on television.
Clasless comments from Watzke.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
All strikers are like that. I could point absolute sitters Henry, RVP missed but they more than make up for it in difficult chances converted.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
That's some ridiculous level of expectation Jazz...his time at Arsenal has coincided with our biggest churn in well over a decade and his support cast is flimsy at best.

tomaldinho1

I think that's more a product of him playing for Arsenal. He's a top striker, if he was in the United team, he'd also struggle in big games but put him in Pool or City's lineup and he'd outscore almost anyone I think.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He has been angling for move for sometime. Ofcourse money matters and nothing wrong in accepting it. Not sure why this is even a discussion topic.

Godfather

Watzke said that he believes Auba would be very happy with all the money he has now, but that he‘s certainly sad to see how well it‘s going in the Champions League for Borussia
Dortmund really are utter cretins. Just can't accept that they are a seller club. So sad.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's actually not true. He said "Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who plays excellently for Arsenal, will probably be feel warm inside when he looks at his bank account, but on wednesdays he can usually only watch the CL on TV and is sad".

There is nothing in there about how Dortmund are supposedly doing so well. I can't read the interview this quote came from, because it's behind a paywall, but it's titled "only good football won't be enough" and the context appears to be that Dortmund, despite making the CL regularly, has been losing players to clubs who don't (for financial reasons).
Does he have to call Aubameyang by name? Definitely not. But as far as I can tell he's not randomly shit talking Aubameyang, as media would have you believe and as people gratefully lap up the drama, but rather using his case as an example to make a reasonable argument, which btw isn't even in Dortmund's favour.

Last edited:
Why's it his concern? he's been paid the money for Auba, its not like he left for free, so what's his issue?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Dortmund are in the CL but they're not exactly doing well though. Got beaten comfortably by Spurs last season.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
Of course Dortmund can consistently qualify for the Champions League in that garbage Bundesliga. They'd have no chance in the PL and they're a feeder club for the PL. Hard for that German clown to swallow.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Anyone know what brought this about? Seems out of character for Auba, he seems pretty laid back usually
Auba was a prick at Dortmund as well. Constantly talked about leaving, especially for Madrid who he called his dream club, and then also missed some training sessions. When Madrid ended up ditching him he had to swallow his pride and continue playing for Dortmund.

It would've been much more cordial if they did sell him to Madrid, but then forcing a move to Arsenal would've been a lot worse for both parties, I imagine. So yea, no one is the better party in this. Both are pricks.

Of course Dortmund can consistently qualify for the Champions League in that garbage Bundesliga. They'd have no chance in the PL and they're a feeder club for the PL. Hard for that German clown to swallow.
Enjoy Thursday nights against Vitoria De Guimares :lol:

JazzG

Resident Arse.
That's probably because the way Emery sets up his team against top sides. He barely gets services, gets half chance, not enough bodies forward to open up space to attack, or the opposition teams like City/Pool are hagging possession etc.
I think that's more a product of him playing for Arsenal. He's a top striker, if he was in the United team, he'd also struggle in big games but put him in Pool or City's lineup and he'd outscore almost anyone I think.
Possibly so, our record is pretty dire against the top sides so that probably plays a part.

All strikers are like that. I could point absolute sitters Henry, RVP missed but they more than make up for it in difficult chances converted.
You probably could but for me those guys were genuine big game players and performed regularly in those big games. Henry played in a top Arsenal side but I wouldn't say RvP did, better than this current side yes but he carried us when he finally came good. Auba for whatever reason does not perform in the big games that often and his record against the top clubs reflects that.

That's some ridiculous level of expectation Jazz...his time at Arsenal has coincided with our biggest churn in well over a decade and his support cast is flimsy at best.
I'm not criticising him or anything I'm just saying if you want to compare him to the elite and top tier that is where his weaknesses are. We paid over £50m for him and we have more than got our moneys worth for him and he's probably the only reason we have a chance at the top 4 when you consider the state of our game at the moment!

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
No idea why Dick Emery brought him on tonight. We didn't need any more goals so why risk our most important player, other than Guendouzi, who also came on as a sub :houllier: