Pietro Pellegri

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Di Marzio is reporting that we're interested in signing the young Italian from AS Monaco. The player is still only 19 and cost Monaco €30m when they signed him. But sadly he has been injured alot for them, so his progress has been stunted due to that. He made his debut in SerieA as a 15 year old and was destined to have a stellar career until the injuries disrupted his progression. I think it would be a risk worth taking for a low fee. Di Marzio is also very good when it comes to transfers involving Italian players, so there could be something in this.

Judas

Open to offers
Weird one to me. But I must admit I don't know much about him, remember hearing more about him awhile ago, then not much recently. Thought if we were to buy a striker they were likely to be older.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Didn't they sign another huge prospect at the same time as Pietro?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Remember when he joined them. Was huge money for a 16 year old I think he was at the time.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't they sign another huge prospect at the same time as Pietro?
Willem Geubbels, perhaps? Yes, that’s his name. 20m euros for him too from Lyon, and he’s had the same problems with injuries.

SparkedIntoLife

William Guebbels (sp?) was the other wonderkid signed at the same time. Both have had injury problems but are certainly still young enough to develop.

Pellegri was considered a monster talent. Lots of people used terms like generational talent when he broke through. He's a big physical striker. A loan to buy might not be the worst idea if we can't sign Ighalo. Monaco have been hit greatly by the coronavirus.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Remember when he joined them. Was huge money for a 16 year old I think he was at the time.
45m Euros on him and Geubbels. There’s investing in youth, and there’s doing stuff like that...

Hanky panky

19y old striker with 6 appereances and 1 goal in 3 three seasons in Ligue 1. And we already have Mason Greenwood, another 2001 born striker with much better stats. This must be bs. We can buy quality striker who are ready start right now or go with Martial, Greenwood and Rashford.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Willem Geubbels, perhaps? Yes, that’s his name. 20m euros for him too from Lyon, and he’s had the same problems with injuries.
Yeah that's the one, I remember thinking they were nad spending 50m on two 16 year older (before Madrid went mental with their Brazilians).

Shane neither have done anything of note since, both still seriously young so you never know.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think if he can somehow catch a break from the injuries that he has suffered, then he would be a brilliant acquisition.

What interests me about him is his profile. He's poses a a very different threat to our other strikers. He's strong aerially and has been compared to Christian Vieri in his homeland. Also works the channels very well due to his dribbling ability and pace which is impressive for a big man and he has high work rate and shows passion and emotion on the pitch which would enamour him with the fans.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s a bit of a nothing article which is surprising. Not a lot of details just “interest” not convincing enough for me.

Not sure he’s what we should be after there are a lot of better young strikers around.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He is an absolute beast on Football Manager, so I’m in.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If he had stayed fit in his time at AS Monaco we'd be likely talking about one of the best young attackers in the game currently. His issues have obviously been the injuries he's suffered which are listed below.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He is injury prone but incredibly talented, he seems to be as natural a talent as Mbappé. Hopefully he will fix his injury issues.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm no expert but they all look like muscle injuries. Could be part of him growing from a 16 year old to a 19 year old, lots of body transition in that time and a lot of stress on those muscles.

He could also be a 'Rooney' type player. Fergie once said he needed to play every week in order to stay fit.

Nothing from that list looks like it's Hargreaves-esque, i.e. tendonitis.

He's worth a gamble for under £20m.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Whats the point in signing somebody who doesn't play?

Let him have an actual season of football first and we will see.

crossy1686

career ending

Because if he actually played he'd cost £60m. He was one of Europe's most highly rated forwards at the age of 16 I might add. Mbappe kind of stuff at the time

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Maybe the people at the club feel they can look after him abit better and keep him fit?

Letting him have a season of football will see his price go up exponentially. He's a superb young talent that I feel we should take a chance on due to his huge potential and profile. If the people at the club feel it's a risk worth taking, then I sure hope we go for him rather than look to sign mediocre strikers for the short term.

Baneofthegame

He has essentially missed nearly 100 games in the 3 years he has been there.

Full season with a groin injury and another full season essentially with his hamstring.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The few videos I’ve watched there are not that impressive? One of them was actually one of the worst highlight videos I’ve seen for a supposedly top prospect. I’d imagine our scouts are basing it on what he was showing at youth level if we are really in for him?

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
His injuries could also be due to his natural development from a teen to a adult. It seems he played alot of football as a 15/16 year old which also took it's toll possibly.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
FM legend. Let's do this.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he had stayed fit in his time at AS Monaco we'd be likely talking about one of the best young attackers in the game currently. His issues have obviously been the injuries he's suffered which are listed below.

He's out for 74 days then three weeks later he's out another 103 days (hamstring, both occasions). Twice out for a while with a groin injury (groin, pubalgia). Would be interesting to know how well Monaco have managed his fitness and coming back from injury, and whether those longer-term are reoccurring ones.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I must have heard the phrase “he’s a generational talent” way too much recently. Every young player these days seem to be a generational talent. Who coined that shit anyway?
It is an Americanism. Rose to prominence around the time Lonzo Ball's camp was canvassing hard to elevate their draft position in the NBA Draft.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Why ? Because he is Italian ?

Rossi had hardly any muscle problems and played a lot of reserve team football when he was this kids age. Rossi's problems started later and were ligament/knee issues.
Yeah I didnt mean anything bad about the guy, i know absolutely nothing about Pellegri & wouldn't mind him coming here if he had been looked at properly before hand.

Just I remember how hyped I was about Rossi and eventually it never really happened - I wonder if it turn out where he does well in the reserve games any times he feels better but unable to ever be fit to be considered a consistent pick for the first team, a bit like Rossi. Atleast that's how I remember it?

A type of striker like Vieri sounds really good as a different type of strikers we should have at our disposal.

Zoo

That period has yielded just 6 appearances and one goal, spending 577 of his first 730 days on the treatment table. The sense of frustration is pervasive; recently departed Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim sought to lay the blame for Pietro’s injury problems at the door of his former club.

“A lot of times, we kill players. Maybe if people had paid more attention two or three years ago, when Pietro was still forming as a footballer, he would not have all the muscle problems that he does today. But nobody takes responsibility. Someone at the age of 16 is not a miniature adult. We have to respect that. Full bone and muscle maturity comes after the age of 18 or 19. This had to be said because it can ruin the lives of young players. I am not talking about money. I think we have to be careful during the development of players.”

Cliche Guevara

That period has yielded just 6 appearances and one goal, spending 577 of his first 730 days on the treatment table. The sense of frustration is pervasive; recently departed Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim sought to lay the blame for Pietro’s injury problems at the door of his former club.
Yeah I think in this post-Covid world we will see a lot of things differently. Health and well-being will rightly be given higher priority.

Do we really need to be hammering youngsters in sport so much? There should certainly be regulations on how frequently youngsters play and greater protection/accountability for fitness/health in them.

The number of players who have their careers destroyed as teenagers is far too high.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He is injury prone but incredibly talented, he seems to be as natural a talent as Mbappé. Hopefully he will fix his injury issues.
even if somehow he is medically 100% he will have lost 2 years of development at a key time - good luck to him and i hope he manages to develop and have a good career as it always seems harsh when a young player gets numerous injuries but I don't think that the natural talent will be enough to make up for the loss of development time

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
even if somehow he is medically 100% he will have lost 2 years of development at a key time - good luck to him and i hope he manages to develop and have a good career as it always seems harsh when a young player gets numerous injuries but I don't think that the natural talent will be enough to make up for the loss of development time
I agree, it's going to be very difficult and it's a shame because he was/is genuinely talented.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Because if he actually played he'd cost £60m. He was one of Europe's most highly rated forwards at the age of 16 I might add. Mbappe kind of stuff at the time
Great he scored a few goals at u16 level because he's massive. Hows that going to translate to mens football?

For us to spend £30m+ on somebody who's hardly kicked a ball in 3 years is frankly bonkers, and no he isn't Mbappe level :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Getting a player of his quality on a discount price is a very good gamble i'd say. If he even gets close to half his potential he'll end up being a useful squad player. Worth a gamble for a club our size. Monaco to their credit have not rushed him back from injury, so he should be finally over his problems. Personally I think he should stay at Monaco and develop their but if Monaco want to cut their losses and get some transfer money in then dont see why we shouldn't take the gamble.

But, he isn't worth that money. At most he should be going for roughly the same amount Monaco paid for him if not less.