Pietro Pellegri

crossy1686

career ending
Great he scored a few goals at u16 level because he's massive. Hows that going to translate to mens football?

For us to spend £30m+ on somebody who's hardly kicked a ball in 3 years is frankly bonkers, and no he isn't Mbappe level :lol:
You're new to football, aren't you?

Mbappe went for £200m after 'scoring a few goals' in France. Pellegri 'scored a few goals' in Serie A (men's football) at the age of 15/16 and looked beyond his years doing so.

Monaco bought him for €30m, we'd obviously be getting him for around £10m should he move this summer, and at that price, a player who is still a teenager and looked destined to set the world on fire is worth a punt.

If he went to Dortmund when Haaland leaves and has a similar impact this place will disappear up its own arse.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Mbappe went for £200m after 'scoring a few goals' in France. Pellegri 'scored a few goals' in Serie A (men's football) at the age of 15/16 and looked beyond his years doing so.
Mbappe scored 15 goals and 11 assists in 29 games in Ligue 1 the season before PSG bought him. He scored 6 CL goals in 9 games. Come on, man. Pellegri has scored 4 goals his entire career. Four is quite literally ‘a few goals’.

He has played 14 senior matches of football his entire career, too. Thats over 4 seasons.

He isn’t even comparable to Greenwood/Martinelli, who have 10 a-piece in their debut seasons, let alone Mbappe.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Monaco bought him for €30m, we'd obviously be getting him for around £10m should he move this summer, and at that price, a player who is still a teenager and looked destined to set the world on fire is worth a punt.

If he went to Dortmund when Haaland leaves and has a similar impact this place will disappear up its own arse.
Sorry pal you're just making yourself sound very silly here.

Comparing Pellegri to Mbappe is absolutely ridiculous. Have you even seen the guy play a real life match?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Mbappe scored 15 goals and 11 assists in 29 games in Ligue 1 the season before PSG bought him. He scored 6 CL goals in 9 games. Come on, man. Pellegri has scored 4 goals his entire career. Four is quite literally ‘a few goals’.

He has played 14 senior matches of football his entire career, too. Thats over 4 seasons.

He isn’t even comparable to Greenwood/Martinelli, who have 10 a-piece in their debut seasons, let alone Mbappe.
He was 16 when he transferred to Monaco though. Mbappe was 19 when he transferred to PSG.

The problem is that Pellegri has had big issues with injuries since joining Monaco. That's why this is a gamble transfer. But he's still very young.

We shouldn't forget that Mbappe in 15/16 for example only managed 1 goal and 1 assist in 289mins in Ligue 1 when he was 16 (same age as Pellegri). It was the following year when he was 17 that he exploded. Both players having senior football at that age in the top league is extremely rare. It's just really unfortunate for Pellegri that he's suffered from bad injuries.

Brightonian

I must have heard the phrase “he’s a generational talent” way too much recently. Every young player these days seem to be a generational talent. Who coined that shit anyway?
Most terms like that are nonsense in football though, with no clear definition. World class, top-tier, elite level, wonderkid, superstar... none of them have any kind of fixed meaning. 'Generational talent' is just another one to add to the list.

crossy1686

career ending
Sorry pal you're just making yourself sound very silly here.

Comparing Pellegri to Mbappe is absolutely ridiculous. Have you even seen the guy play a real life match?
I'm not comparing the two, I'm stating transfer fees for a 16 year old who was playing well beyond his years and a 19 year old who had a brilliant break out season. You must appreciate that there's a difference there, and if this lad was fit and got similar numbers to Mbappe next season in France he would be looking at a similar transfer fee to PSG.

He was rated incredibly highly back in Genoa and is worth the gamble in my opinion.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm not comparing the two, I'm stating transfer fees for a 16 year old who was playing well beyond his years and a 19 year old who had a brilliant break out season. You must appreciate that there's a difference there, and if this lad was fit and got similar numbers to Mbappe next season in France he would be looking at a similar transfer fee to PSG.

He was rated incredibly highly back in Genoa and is worth the gamble in my opinion.
A whole load of ifs, buts and maybes. If he was as good as you hope then Monaco will surely want to keep him and play him until he's worth 10x what he is now.

As I mentioned above let him have a full season first, then we can talk.

-Supreme-

It seems he could be available for a fee of around £5m due to ASM having financial problems due to the current crisis we're all facing.
If true, definitely worth a gamble. But I'd doubt he would get much game time if we end up keeping Ighalo.

edcunited1878

Worth a gamble if less than 20 to 15 million pounds. He needs to mature physically and get stronger as his biggest injuries are muscular such as groin, hamstring, etc. His flexibility must be below average and he hasn't been able to cope with his body frame yet.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It seems he could be available for a fee of around £5m due to ASM having financial problems due to the current crisis we're all facing.
If that's true then he's worth the gamble.

Cliche Guevara

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
How the hell is Monaco having financial issues without having to think there's been some feckery by ownership?! They have sold over a billion euros worth of players in the last decade.

It's a shame for the young guy, I know there were a lot of expectations and who knows where his career goes for him but if he's that cheap, why not give him a shot?

It says they’re looking to make €50m in sales and Ben Yedder’s name is in there.

Maybe he could be picked up for a bargain too.
I would love Ben Yedder anywhere, he is such an underrated striker and he would work very well here at United.

Brightonian

It says they’re looking to make €50m in sales and Ben Yedder’s name is in there.

Maybe he could be picked up for a bargain too.
Now that I would be interested in. Perfect age to provide cover and competition for Martial up front without stunting Greenwood's opportunities unnecessarily. Or how about a season loan, with option to buy?

Don't see much point in Pellegri however cheap he is. Monaco being expensively excited by him two and a half years ago is not good enough proof of anything. He would not be happy to come and play for the reserves but I don't know how we could justify giving him first team game time (taken away, effectively, from Greenwood) based on virtually nothing.

Red_toad

A whole load of ifs, buts and maybes. If he was as good as you hope then Monaco will surely want to keep him and play him until he's worth 10x what he is now.

As I mentioned above let him have a full season first, then we can talk.
They’re having a fire sale and he’s possibly available for 5 million. It isn’t the fee it’ll be his wages that’s the issue for Monaco. Knowing Monaco they’ve got a few young local strikers who are on lower wages who are looking very good and way less injury prone. For the fee and After having some extensive medical tests, he’d be worth a punt, he’d very different to any striker we have in that age group.

Tarrou

if we sign players like this we can't really complain about injuries when the inevitable crisis arises

A club with a complete squad can gamble on a player like this, which isn't United at present

pascell

Somewhere like Wolves as an understudy to Jimenez or Leipzig, somewhere where he's not going to have too much spotlight or pressure on him.

Edit: I'd take Ben Yedder too if we can get him cheap enough, we should've got him last summer when he was going for a reasonable fee.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Pellegri would cost alittle more than what we pay Lingard over a year IMO. And it wasn't just Monaco who were excited by him when he was playing in Serie A either. There was a plethora of clubs interested in him.

And signing him isn't a gamble at all for the reasons I've stated.

And people should think more about the development of the team, rather than the individuals within that team if we're to be successful. If Solskjaer wants to add a young up and coming striker to the squad then he should do so.

beingshe7don

I've not truly watched his games but from the youtube videos, he hasn't appeared to be anything special. I know he could be acquired on the cheap but I'm skeptical.

Mark Pawelek

We should let our doctors and and fitness experts decide this one. If he can stay fit during training, we can limit his playing time by using him as an impact sub. A gamble worth taking at £5m/£6m. If we limit him to impact sub, he's less likely to be injured again. When I say impact sub - I mean plan B. I absolutely do not mean putting him on in the last 10 minutes to wind down the clock.

lysglimt

Scout
if we sign players like this we can't really complain about injuries when the inevitable crisis arises

A club with a complete squad can gamble on a player like this, which isn't United at present
In fairness - we aren't that far away. I would say we are 2-3 players short of a complete squad. And by that I don't mean that the squad can't get better - but that we have strong first 11, and a decent back-up in every position.

If we sign him for less than £10 million - it's well worth the risk....

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I would be excited about this one. A potential superstar, it would be great to bring him in and roll the dice.

It would be so satisfying to see it pay off and have an asset in the squad that was acquired for so little.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Serie A fan here. He became famous for scoring 2 goals away against Roma in the last match of the season a few years back. He's pretty well developed physically for his age but spent so much time injured for Monaco. Imo, if you have Greenwood I dont see the point of getting Pellegri although they are different players. And I just dont see him getting playing time for a team that's actually looking to achieve big things.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Serie A fan here. He became famous for scoring 2 goals away against Roma in the last match of the season a few years back. He's pretty well developed physically for his age but spent so much time injured for Monaco. Imo, if you have Greenwood I dont see the point of getting Pellegri although they are different players. And I just dont see him getting playing time for a team that's actually looking to achieve big things.
If we are being totally honest, your Inter Milan will probably sign him anyway.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
If we are being totally honest, your Inter Milan will probably sign him anyway.
I doubt it - although we were linked to him some time back. He's hardly.played in a few years though.

Ace of Spades

Not the first time injuries have ruined a career, usually when a player starts getting repeated injuries they rarely come back at their best.

Still, he is young and hopefully he can have a good career. I think at this point he should stay and concentrate on getting regular game time for his development.

jesperjaap

Does appear we are really heavily linked with players we have been tracking for some tim enow Sancho, Grealish and now Pellegri we have all been following for years and they are all still really young.

He is obviously a gamble considering the injury problems and that he has barely kicked a ball in the last couple of years. Same token, are we needing to spend a fortune on a new striker? If he is cheap, no bad buy. Ighalo did ok for us and we are only looking for numbers. We have a very talented if inconsistant striker in Martial and a potential superstar in Greenwood. Adding a young and very talented physical striker who can play other positions too is no bad thing, probably only looking for subs appearances and a few starts over the season, he can be eased in really

SambaBoy

For £10m it would be a no brainer but surely Monaco won't let him go for that cheap.

The problem with Pellegri is because of his profile he was trusted at a young age as he could cope with the physical demands of the game whilst having good technical ability. Most youngsters can't cope with the physicality of first team football until 20/21. He's now played very little football during his key development years and in all likelihood will have stagnated.

SAFMUTD

Id stay clear of him, he’s injury prone and hasnt proved anything to suggest he’ll make it as a professional player, yet alone becoming a top one.

He’s played a grand total of 6 games in the last 3 seasons. For as talented he seemed when younger I think it has faded and not worth the risk, not even for 10-15M.

crossy1686

career ending
Id stay clear of him, he’s injury prone and hasnt proved anything to suggest he’ll make it as a professional player, yet alone becoming a top one.

He’s played a grand total of 6 games in the last 3 seasons. For as talented he seemed when younger I think it has faded and not worth the risk, not even for 10-15M.
Price touted is £5m and at that price he's well worth it.