Pilib de Brun

Chip

@MaxiPaxi The mission to get Phil's level legitimacy settled once and for all seems to be going very well.

Seems we are as far away from a consensus as possible.

Dante

Average bang
:lol: enjoy the witch hunt!

Indeed. We're all in the dark and have no means of verifying anyone's sources or ascertaining their credibility. Best not to put too much stock in any of the transfer guff, or have a meltdown about any individual involved in it, like Dante here.
Meltdown? It's just as easy to claim you believe every word he says. Stop being so up his arse lololol. #unnecessaryhashtag #childishinsult #unfoundedaccusation

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Listen to Romelu Lukaku on Beyond The Pitch by BTP Media Network #np on #SoundCloud
Interesting. So he's interviewing a [future] United player and yet some are saying he's a BSer. Having access to our players and Chief Executive should be more than sufficient to getting ones tweets displayed on a 3rd party fan site.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Meltdown? It's just as easy to claim you believe every word he says. Stop being so up his arse lololol. #unnecessaryhashtag #childishinsult #unfoundedaccusation
WTF Dante. Calm down or else we may have post a PdB tweet.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Dante does not like de Brun. That is certain.

Dante

Average bang
WTF Dante. Calm down or else we may have post a PdB tweet.
Individual members of the media means as much to me as any other random poster. But if a thread were to posted about some particular person, why be offended about a contrary opinion? Is this thread simply about lip service?

There are plenty of posters about whom I don't I don't think very much. Start threads about them and I'll also post what I feel.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Individual members of the media means as much to me as any other random poster. But if a thread were to posted about some particular person, why be offended about a contrary opinion? Is this thread simply about lip service?
Seems you're the only one offended here.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
True. And moreover, journalists aren't predictors of events. They simply report what they hear from their sources and then its the audience's job to process the information. Too many fans seem to rely on journos to make them happy by providing them with agreeable transfer news. That's unfortunately not how it works.
The credibility of a journalist is largely dependent on his accuracy in reporting the facts, his thoroughness in verifying the sources and his access to sources with meaningful information.

Why would you advocate for a journalist that displays none of the above?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The credibility of a journalist is largely dependent on his accuracy in reporting the facts, his thoroughness in verifying the sources and his access to sources with meaningful information.

Why would you advocate for a journalist that displays none of the above?
That may be the case with major news journos, but its less so the case with sport transfer news where there are far too many variables to predict what will happen. A journo could have a source who provides them with information, which they then publicize on Twitter. In the meantime, the clubs in question could change their minds about a player and move on to new players and deals. The information was correct and fans believed it, but circumstances changed in the process made the journo look like he was BS'ing. This happens quite frequently so people need to chill out and discuss what they think is relevant and discard what they don't. Acting like little babies each time we see a tweet we don't like isn't going to fly here.

psychdelicblues

I don't think it was as cut and dry as that. LvG himself was surprised I think.
Moyes appeared surprised as well . Both came across as not having a lot of self awareness.
Looking at this thread after the back to back defeats to Sunderland and Midtjylland in feb, it appears the club had already made up it's mind to appoint Mourinho.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
I know nothing about him but have read every post in this thread and I am now convinced that he is no less or more credible than the average football journalist.

Hope this helps

Paxi

Moyes appeared surprised as well . Both came across as not having a lot of self awareness.
Looking at this thread after the back to back defeats to Sunderland and Midtjylland in feb, it appears the club had already made up it's mind to appoint Mourinho.
And yet he lasted full season with certain posters wishing they'd lose so he'd get the sack. I remember that clearly.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I know nothing about him but have read every post in this thread and I am now convinced that he is no less or more credible than the average football journalist.

Hope this helps
That's pretty much how I view him. He's no oracle but he's also not as un-credible as some of his detractors suggest.

psychdelicblues

And yet he lasted full season with certain posters wishing they'd lose so he'd get the sack. I remember that clearly.
I never agreed with that but with hindsight he should have been sacked and have Mourhino installed earlier.
The line throughout the thread was a number of publications were reporting the same thing. So either the club were privately briefing this or there was some kind of leak.

Paxi

I never agreed with that but with hindsight he should have been sacked and have Mourhino installed earlier.
The line throughout the thread was a number of publications were reporting the same thing. So either the club were privately briefing this or there was some kind of leak.
In which time de Brun was adamant that Jose was on his way. I obviously deleted the old dm's but I've no reason to lie. He was adamant that Jose will be new manager. No ifs and buts.

I remember people like ballbag etc. Saying LvG would stay. Probably just trolling but still.

Anyway, I'm not saying he's a top top source. And I don't know if he corroborates his info before posting but it's clear he has some contacts in the game. Danny Taylor vouched for him. Probably the best English journo around. That was 3-4 years ago when he was a relative unknown.

kundalini

I think he should be taken less seriously. He adds nothing to what is already known, regardless of whether accurate or inaccurate.

Tons of journalists belong in the same category.

MDFC Manager

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
As a general point. Journalists also often pass on info in good faith given by a good contact. For reasons, out of the contact's control, events take a different course and the info turns out to be wrong.

I'm no fan of the media in general, but even I concede that not every incorrect story is based on nothing.

saivet

I think he gives credible info. A lot of it lacks substance though, as he's just passing stuff on, but certainly don't think he's full of BS that should be banned, annoying as he can be.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
He is a bullshitter. He posted a tweet about a conflict between Jose and the Glazers and he added something about us being unable to complete deals due to "reasons". Fast forwards 5 hours and Matic deal is all over the place including Sky sports. should be blacklisted.

InfiniteBoredom

His about-face on Woodward after Lukaku's transfer was amusing to say the least.

As is the case with most 'sport journalists', he is a chancer and rumour monger, but if we don't ban the likes of Tancredi Palmeri or Ballbag then there's no reason to ban him. They got fed a morsel or two every time it suits the clubs to do so, but most of the time it's just guesswork and hot air to fill the columns and broadcast hours.

Of course, there are exception to the rule like Di Marzio who knows his onions about Italian football, but they are far and few in between.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The only ex-ITK that I know says that nobody's in the know now. There's no "overheard on the team plane" or "after one too many drinks in the golf club bar."

There's the stuff that someone wants out there, whether that's Mourinho, Woodward, or some agent, and the occasional burst of random gossip - that no one can actually verify. There's occasionally a story from a foreign club, but even when it's actually from a club, it offers no real clue as to the seriousness of a United connection - because they don't know whether their player is top of United's options or one of half a dozen.

A few of the press get those "somebody wants it out there" stories a little earlier, and even occasionally through multiple sources, as with the news that Chelsea were struggling to close the Lukaku deal and United had jumped in. PdB currently seems to be one of the ones in that category, whether that's down to his contacts, or him being fed by someone in that category who knows.

But why does it matter? If we want the news, it's on the BBC website and United will stick an announcement on Facebook. Everything else is speculation, propoganda or a work in progress that might or might not come off.

Oscie

Using the 'he interviewed...' as proof he has connections and sources, shouldn't Jim White also be considered a top-drawer journalist for transfer news based on those who he's interviewed through his work?

Working for media organisations and getting access isn't really the same. The thing I note about de Brun is that rarely is he ever out in front of a story. He doesn't break news. He's never really among the first pack of elite reporters who break a transfer story or rumour. Instead he adds comments to existing transfer rumours. People cite his 'Lukaku in 48 hours' tweet, but in reality virtually every football journalist and outlet had been reporting that we'd be signing him at some point that week.

I don't think he should be dismissed as a journalist but I think it's clear that the starting point of his reports are always what other people have already reported. It's second-tier reporting, it isn't someone who has a track record of really breaking stories. It's not a criticism, there are probably less than a handful of top-tier football journalists who do get genuine transfer stories. The rest take the stories and try to look like they take ownership of it, often by adding relatively meaningless and 'colour' to it.

Real story: United in talks with X

2nd-tier jouro's attempt to look like they're ITK after the fact of the original report: X's agent flew to Manchester last week for discussions

There's no real way of disproving it, it adds nothing really more to the story, but it gives the impression the 2-tier journo knows his apples. It's a really obvious trick that scores of them do, de Brun included.

Last edited:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He is a bullshitter. He posted a tweet about a conflict between Jose and the Glazers and he added something about us being unable to complete deals due to "reasons". Fast forwards 5 hours and Matic deal is all over the place including Sky sports. should be blacklisted.
This.

The guy has no credibility and some people want to couch for him because he managed himself an interview with Lukaku as if it's unheard of many random journalists or even fans out there getting exclusive interviews with players.

Dude is a hack, should be BANNED.

Chip

whats his actual name?

I think he wants to be perceived as member of Monaco's royal family or something.
Phil Brown. But apparently Pilib De Brun is an Irish version of Phil Brown.

klayton88

Phil Brown. But apparently Pilib De Brun is an Irish version of Phil Brown.
It's like when big Sam wanted to be pronounced Aller-dee-chey as he said he would get more credit if he sounded foreign.

Chip

It's like when big Sam wanted to be pronounced Aller-dee-chey as he said he would get more credit if he sounded foreign.
Or when Steve McClaren used his phoney 'Dutch' accent and called himself Shteve.

MDFC Manager

Using the 'he interviewed...' as proof he has connections and sources, shouldn't Jim White also be considered a top-drawer journalist for transfer news based on those who he's interviewed through his work?

Working for media organisations and getting access isn't really the same. The thing I note about de Brun is that rarely is he ever out in front of a story. He doesn't break news. He's never really among the first pack of elite reporters who break a transfer story or rumour. Instead he adds comments to existing transfer rumours. People cite his 'Lukaku in 48 hours' tweet, but in reality virtually every football journalist and outlet had been reporting that we'd be signing him at some point that week.

I don't think he should be dismissed as a journalist but I think it's clear that the starting point of his reports are always what other people have already reported. It's second-tier reporting, it isn't someone who has a track record of really breaking stories. It's not a criticism, there are probably less than a handful of top-tier football journalists who do get genuine transfer stories. The rest take the stories and try to look like they take ownership of it, often by adding relatively meaningless and 'colour' to it.

Real story: United in talks with X

2nd-tier jouro's attempt to look like they're ITK after the fact of the original report: X's agent flew to Manchester last week for discussions

There's no real way of disproving it, it adds nothing really more to the story, but it gives the impression the 2-tier journo knows his apples. It's a really obvious trick that scores of them do, de Brun included.
But he interviewed Lukaku! First to do so as well!

saivet

Not top drawer but Jim White is considered a decent source for the lower tier Prem and lower league teams.

I'm not sure I can recall Jim White ever interviewing top managers or players. Think that's a thing for other guys at Sky?

settembrini

He's one of the more reliable people with regard to United in my experience.

That doesn't say a lot though considering I dismiss 90% of what I read about United as obvious bullshit.

Infra-red

The only ex-ITK that I know says that nobody's in the know now. There's no "overheard on the team plane" or "after one too many drinks in the golf club bar."

There's the stuff that someone wants out there, whether that's Mourinho, Woodward, or some agent, and the occasional burst of random gossip - that no one can actually verify. There's occasionally a story from a foreign club, but even when it's actually from a club, it offers no real clue as to the seriousness of a United connection - because they don't know whether their player is top of United's options or one of half a dozen.

A few of the press get those "somebody wants it out there" stories a little earlier, and even occasionally through multiple sources, as with the news that Chelsea were struggling to close the Lukaku deal and United had jumped in. PdB currently seems to be one of the ones in that category, whether that's down to his contacts, or him being fed by someone in that category who knows.

But why does it matter? If we want the news, it's on the BBC website and United will stick an announcement on Facebook. Everything else is speculation, propoganda or a work in progress that might or might not come off.
This. It's really not worth getting wound up over and shouting about blacklists and banning people. Transfer drivel should all be taken with an almighty pinch of salt. If you've taken a particular dislike to an individual, don't read their work.

Peanut Butter

I'm still on the fence with Pilib the Phil, although must admit leaning more towards BS merchant than the next Di Marzio.

But those of you who claim PB is pretty good (has contacts etc) don't seem to be able to list Tweets that has turned out accurate.

For me, PB just has his own opinions on stuff like me and you yet this is allowed in the Transfer Tweets thread. I don't quite understand why.