Pitch Invasions

Giggsyking

City showed today the pitch invasions at the end of seasons can be safe.

Guards went after players right away, protected the bench, entrance to the tunnel.

It only happens once at the end of the season after a very emotional moment, let people enjoy it and it looks amazing.

Only boring people dont get it why english football need these moments, images, many supporters thought the passion was dissapearing, its not and thats encouraging.
Did they? Get your head out of the sand.

L1nk

I have no problems whatsoever with pitch invasions on the right occasion, as should nobody else really if the emotion is that high. However why people cannot control themselves from doing stupid shit like assaulting players and destroying property is mind blowing, they will enact stricter policy to stop pitch invasions from happening next season I reckon and they should as long as people have no impulse control

MalaysianRed7

Keano said that a player might be stabbed soon. He’s absolutely spot on. If fans can come on and headbutt or punch human beings they don’t even know, and in Sharp and Olsen’s case (not that it even matters in this context), didn’t do anything to their club on or off the pitch, then a murder next season is entirely plausible if this doesn’t stop.

At the end of the day, football crowds are mostly intelligent and educated people these days compared to the absolute insanity of a bygone era, something which I personally deem a definite advantage of increasing prices in the top leagues. However, you do have a few thugs who were simply not shown enough love by their parents and left school at 12, and who are just there to cause trouble, in terms of violence, homophobia, xenophobia and racism. Due to this minority who undoubtedly ruin things for everyone, including the players, the authorities must take a much harder line next season.

Bobski

I remember watching Italian football back in the 90's and you would have both teams creeping towards the sidelines on the last game of the season knowing they would be rushed by the fans. Can't find the footage but I have this memory of Di Canio having his kit ripped off and having to almost fight his way to the dressing room.

Stay off the pitch matter of time before something really bad happens, most of us on here will have been to games and seen how half hearted much of the security is. Especially in the current social media age were knobs on the socials are seeing this and want their piece of the pie.

Ace

If I’m an away coach, I’m pulling my players off the pitch early.

After watching Huddersfield, Forrest, and Everton this week you knew it was coming today at City. Chasing and earning a draw today would’ve earned Villa nothing, nor improved their position on the table. If I was Gerrard, I’m pulling them off a minute or so early.

VivaRonaldo85

I’m all for fun but in this day and age, I cannot believe we see them so frequently. Only a matter of time until a player is stabbed or the like. Shocking really

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't really understand why it's such a big problem in England. They are a regular occurrence in Germany and it largely seems to go absolutely fine. Everyone has a pretty good idea when they are likely to happen and it's rather easy to prepare for it.

Reiver

My ex girlfriend's father can quite clearly be seen on the Wembley goal posts when Scotland fans broke them. He kept some metal pegs which he said had been used to keep the net stretched out on his mantlepiece.
Some results/performances are worthy of a pitch invasion.

PSV

I don't really understand why it's such a big problem in England. They are a regular occurrence in Germany and it largely seems to go absolutely fine. Everyone has a pretty good idea when they are likely to happen and it's rather easy to prepare for it.
Since I'm neither, but have experienced both on multiple occassions, let me tell you there's a slight difference between an average boozed up Englishman compared to a German.

phelans shorts

If I’m an away coach, I’m pulling my players off the pitch early.

After watching Huddersfield, Forrest, and Everton this week you knew it was coming today at City. Chasing and earning a draw today would’ve earned Villa nothing, nor improved their position on the table. If I was Gerrard, I’m pulling them off a minute or so early.
Not sure they’d allow that with decency laws the way they are

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I don’t mind pitch invasions as long as there are no pricks in the bunch, when we see the champions league trophy presented next week in the stands and an empty pitch has always seemed strange to me.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Since I'm neither, but have experienced both on multiple occassions, let me tell you there's a slight difference between an average boozed up Englishman compared to a German.
I would be a bit ironic if the country with the alcohol ban really has the bigger alcohol problem during games.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They're shit.... They're not impulsive or due to passion...they're premeditated and because it's the "done thing" currently.

Just seems small time to me, and gets in the way of players being able to actually celebrate.

Abizzz

I used to like them and be part of them when my local club avoided relegation. Never would anyone attack an opponent though, they weren't relevant, us staying up was... If "fans" attack anyone then there's no point. Idiots once again ruining it for everyone.

Awakered88

Seems to me like all these random pitch invasions now randomly happening are scripted events to bring in some sort of changes whatever they may be. Problem reaction solution

Zlatattack

Not acceptable. it puts the staff and players in danger. Any club where it happens should be hit with a 3 match stadium ban.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I would be a bit ironic if the country with the alcohol ban really has the bigger alcohol problem during games.
That may even be part of the problem - people sinking a dozen pints (and a fair bit of charlie) to get pissed before a game rather than drinking normally throughout the day.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Reinforced fiber glass barriers that could be raised in stoppage time would be a decent solution, so as to not make it inconvenient for pitch side seats but still have some deterrence from nutters bum rushing the pitch at full time or point deductions for the team.

Bestietom

City showed today the pitch invasions at the end of seasons can be safe.

Guards went after players right away, protected the bench, entrance to the tunnel.

It only happens once at the end of the season after a very emotional moment, let people enjoy it and it looks amazing.

Only boring people dont get it why english football need these moments, images, many supporters thought the passion was dissapearing, its not and thats encouraging.
You need to go to specsavers mate. Celebrating is fine when done in controlled way, but allowing fans on the pitch and attacking players and coaches, plus allowing flares into the ground is not acceptable. It will turn people away from going to games.

Bestietom

My ex girlfriend's father can quite clearly be seen on the Wembley goal posts when Scotland fans broke them. He kept some metal pegs which he said had been used to keep the net stretched out on his mantlepiece.
Some results/performances are worthy of a pitch invasion.
He has a net on his mantlepiece.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That may even be part of the problem - people sinking a dozen pints (and a fair bit of charlie) to get pissed before a game rather than drinking normally throughout the day.
That may be a factor, but I don't think alcohol alone automatically makes people assault players. There seems to be an element in English (fan) culture that brings this behavior out in people.

From an outsider's perspective it's an almost amusing amount of irony that the nation which has commercialized and sanitized football the most, that stands for outpricing fans and bans on standing areas and alcohol happens to turn things that are run of the mill stuff in Germany into the end of football.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
it's beyond ridiculous, used to love a pitch invasion but you just need 1 or 2 absolute bell ends to ruin it for everyone, really don't like seeing people sent to prison but with the Forest Fan being jailed for 24 weeks hope the City fan gets a similar sentence.

Matt007a

Making a team play behind closed doors is probably the way to go about stopping it. You can't deduct points for it really as it's not the clubs fault. The City PA told them not to invade the pitch but even with 100s of stewards and police you can't really stop a crowd that large breaking through if they really want to.

It only takes 1 nutter out of 1000 to do something and you've got no way of knowing who it'll be so the only safe thing to do is ban pitch invasions full stop. I'm not sure why fans feel the need. Even in the clubs greatest moments, I've never thought that running onto the pitch would be a good idea, or that it would somehow heighten the moment even more.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
At this point it kinda feels like people are doing it now because they've seen everybody else do it.

Kinda lame.

Lamestream, if you will.
My feeling, too. I understand it if a team like Frankfurt does it after winning the ECL because it is an incredible achievement for them. But City fans storming the pitch when they win the EPL quite regularly is a bit over the top, especially when everybody does it nowadays. In the Bundesliga, Cologne e. g. did it after losing the game and securing the Conference League. Or Stuttgart after escaping the relegation playoff. I mean, definitely reasons to be happy as a fan but a pitch invasion for me is for truly special moments.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
To me, pitch invasions aren't so much the issue....pitch invasions have been happening in the GAA for forever and never any injuries or incidents. It's just a nice way for the fans to celebrate/connect with fans - especially useful at the moment given how far apart the average football fan at the moment has grown from the players they support. Especially true for clubs like us.

The real issue is the hooliganism and cocaine-abuse so prevalent at football games in the UK that makes what should be a joyous occasion dangerous. That's what needs to be tackled first.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
My feeling, too. I understand it if a team like Frankfurt does it after winning the ECL because it is an incredible achievement for them. But City fans storming the pitch when they win the EPL quite regularly is a bit over the top, especially when everybody does it nowadays. In the Bundesliga, Cologne e. g. did it after losing the game and securing the Conference League. Or Stuttgart after escaping the relegation playoff. I mean, definitely reasons to be happy as a fan but a pitch invasion for me is for truly special moments.
Cologne played a special season (they were miserable relegation candidates before the season), that probably forged a strong emotional connection with the team and Stuttgart pulled off a small miracle by drawing Bayern and getting the extra time winner in their own game, while Hertha choked away three games and a lead against Dortmund. Escaping relegation in the 94th minute alone is probably enough reason.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Cologne played a special season (they were miserable relegation candidates before the season), that probably forged a strong emotional connection with the team and Stuttgart pulled off a small miracle by drawing Bayern and getting the extra time winner in their own game, while Hertha choked away three games and a lead against Dortmund. Escaping relegation in the 94th minute alone is probably enough reason.
Come on. They stormed the pitch after a loss that buried all their hopes of achieving the Europa League while a win would've put them in an at least punching range of playing Champions League (on same points as the 4th going into the last match). Everything but the Conference would've been a huge disappointment after the season they had. So this invasion was very anticlimactic and I highly, highly doubt it would've happened if they hadn't been inspired by other fans before.

And Stuttgart avoided playing relegation, yes. They definitely had more of a reason for storming the pitch but it's not like they jumped from 17 to 15 or so. I think that still is a pretty low bar for a pitch invasion which I typically associate with historic moments. We've recently seen many pitch invasions for stuff that I don't really consider historic.

Suedesi

This is how Curva Sud (Milan Ultras) decided to deal with pitch invaders yesterday

Context: The speaker had for a long time begged the invaders to clear the pitch to be able to begin the medal ceremony. The players were uncomfortable and Pioli got his medal stolen. Curva sud decided that enough was enough and started bitchslapping people out from the pitch