PL clubs reject 5 subs rule for next season

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Though I can see why the drink break is not enjoyed by many; I have to say that I kind of really like it.

It gives the manager an ability to bring all his players together before tactically changing the game every 22.5 mins and I have loved seeing that ability more than ever before. Tactically waiting for half time to talk in comparison seems like there has been too many things to have happened in 45 mins to fix it all in one go for the next 45.

I can see why it's not the most eye catching break but it's great to wonder and eventually see when things are changed due to the management looking at the opposition whilst the game progresses rather than just waiting for the half of it; by which time the damage could have been done.
It kills the momentum of a match

keithsingleton

Would have benefitted us / the bigger clubs.
I'm not of the same opinion mate. Personally I only thought it benefited the noisy neighbours as our bench very weak when you compare it with theirs. You'll see more injuries next season due to what's been going on in the last 5 months or so.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
This goes against natural progress. I guess many visionary folks back in 1992 predicted (crudely, bitterly) the end of football when the back-pass rule was introduced, yet it radically changed football for the better. Like the Bosman rule.

The 3 subs only thing is stupid. The bench is useless. Squad depth is useless. Paying wages to players who won't play because of 3 subs only. Elite players facing 65 club+NT fixtures per season yet 3 subs only. Bizarre situations like a CB forced to play as a GK because 3 subs only. 3 is a random number. Why not 4?
It’s absolutely nothing like the back Pass rule. Way to go to make you think you’re right though

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And so England lost their chance to win the euros...

Revan

Assumptionman
Bad idea IMO. It will gas the players, which means that EPL clubs might have trouble in the later stages of UCL, and England will have problems in the euros.

Should have been allowed for one year only. Some clubs would have 80 matches or so from the beginning of the restart until the end of next season, without a proper break. And then those players are supposed to play in euros.

I honestly don't understand why England goes always different from the rest of the world when it comes to football. It was the same thing with VAR, not implementing it in time, and then implementing it wrongly.

This goes against natural progress. I guess many visionary folks back in 1992 predicted (crudely, bitterly) the end of football when the back-pass rule was introduced, yet it radically changed football for the better. Like the Bosman rule.

The 3 subs only thing is stupid. The bench is useless. Squad depth is useless. Paying wages to players who won't play because of 3 subs only. Elite players facing 65 club+NT fixtures per season yet 3 subs only. Bizarre situations like a CB forced to play as a GK because 3 subs only. 3 is a random number. Why not 4?
You're conflating three very different topics.

The back pass rule was for the good of the game.

The Bosman ruling was a high profile legal case around employment law that revolutionised the game.

Going up from 3-5 subs is not to be compared to those issues. Firstly, it's a minor issue in comparison. Secondly it doesn't benefit the whole game, it benefits the richest clubs.

flappyjay

Bad idea IMO. It will gas the players, which means that EPL clubs might have trouble in the later stages of UCL, and England will have problems in the euros.

Should have been allowed for one year only. Some clubs would have 80 matches or so from the beginning of the restart until the end of next season, without a proper break. And then those players are supposed to play in euros.

I honestly don't understand why England goes always different from the rest of the world when it comes to football. It was the same thing with VAR, not implementing it in time, and then implementing it wrongly.
Always over complicating things. The worst part is the PL never revises the schedule to help out pl teams in Europe. Now not only will their rivals have better schedules they will have 5 subs. Just smash eiber 4 in the 1st half and rest Benzema, Hazard etc

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Good. If this allowed, what's next? 2 goal keepers? It will force them to plan, rotate and purchase prudently. 11 players and 3 subs per game with 25 man squad while abile to field any u18 players is more than enough for 50++ games over a period of 8 months.

Revan

Assumptionman
Good. If this allowed, what's next? 2 goal keepers? It will force them to plan, rotate and purchase prudently. 11 players and 3 subs per game with 25 man squad while abile to field any u18 players is more than enough for 50++ games over a period of 8 months.
Yes, at the same time. And after that, it would be putting as many players as you want in the pitch at the same time, so rich clubs who have more players would be able to field more players and win cause of that. It would be the doom, the end of the universe.

Andersonson

I actually like that idea. Would be more than happy to see that rule implemented.

Yeah, it would definitely need some kind of caveat attached to it, something like that or along those lines. There are benefits there to having such a rule in place and it's also thinking about the national game side of things, too. There must be occasions where a manager wants to play a youth prospect, but doesn't want to use up a sub and instead opts for a more experienced player.
Agreed.

Amerifan

Too bad. Fewer injuries plus better chance to adapt play style = more exciting games.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
How about

3 subs, but 5 times during the season you can use 4 subs :lol:

RedStarUnited

Too bad. Fewer injuries plus better chance to adapt play style = more exciting games.
I can not believe people don't see it this way. Or the fact that with 5 subs, even the smallest EPL teams can promote their youth players to get game time in the PL.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Bad decision. Players will get injured more easily I guarantee that, way too many games in a short amount of time for them. I seriously think they should've bumped it up to 6 or 7 subs.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Bad decision. Players will get injured more easily I guarantee that, way too many games in a short amount of time for them. I seriously think they should've bumped it up to 6 or 7 subs.
You have a 25 man squad bro. And on top of that you can field any u18 boys. Really, it promotes good man and resource management.

Judas

Open to offers
I think we'll have a worse quality season because players will be knackered and there will be more injuries. But it might make things more competitive and unpredictable.

Drinks break has to be binned though, and surely will be.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Definitely. Think of Liverpool/City chasing a goal and being able to bring on 5 fresh players. Ridiculous.
Liverpool don’t really have 5 players outside of their first XI like City do.

Siorac

Though I can see why the drink break is not enjoyed by many; I have to say that I kind of really like it.

It gives the manager an ability to bring all his players together before tactically changing the game every 22.5 mins and I have loved seeing that ability more than ever before. Tactically waiting for half time to talk in comparison seems like there has been too many things to have happened in 45 mins to fix it all in one go for the next 45.

I can see why it's not the most eye catching break but it's great to wonder and eventually see when things are changed due to the management looking at the opposition whilst the game progresses rather than just waiting for the half of it; by which time the damage could have been done.
I think we'll have a worse quality season because players will be knackered and there will be more injuries. But it might make things more competitive and unpredictable.

Drinks break has to be binned though, and surely will be.
The hate for the drinks break is really astonishing. Don't most football fans watch international tournaments? They're not exactly new: they're normal when games are being played in high temperatures.

Obviously, they won't be necessary in October in the UK but the moaning about them in July was possibly the weirdest thing about the post-COVID football landscape.

Ludens the Red

Its alright, luckily 3/4 of the Premier League won’t have that many matches as they aren’t playing in European competition. And the ones that are probably won’t play in the league cup, saving poor old Man City the pain and agony of playing SIX more games such is their obsession with the League Cup.

This way is good because it means for 3/4 of the PL who don’t have multi million pound subs, England internationals and don’t play in Europe they don’t have to go to the Etihad or Stamford Bridge every other week and watch City and Chelsea bring on £60 million pound subs five times in a game.

Luckily for the likes of Chelsea and City, because they’ve stock piled their squad down the years they should have enough to rotate during this unprecedented time of playing 4 matches more in a shorter space of time than they ever had.

I remember the covid restart thread where people were being dramatic, predicting deaths and serious illness to footballers. Predicting that there’d be an avalanche of injuries and that the football would be poor.
Can see this thread going a similar way......

Football doesn’t revolve around the top six and doing everything to cater for them and make their life easier. This is why this vote has gone the way it has. Burnley, Leeds etc do not care about England internationals maybe or maybe not being tired next summer. They do not care or are worried about maybe or maybe not being exhausted from playing in European competition....

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The hate for the drinks break is really astonishing. Don't most football fans watch international tournaments? They're not exactly new: they're normal when games are being played in high temperatures.

Obviously, they won't be necessary in October in the UK but the moaning about them in July was possibly the weirdest thing about the post-COVID football landscape.
Do you like it or appreciate it too?

I feel it's so much more manageable for a manager having the team back grouped together every quarter of the game. It benefits the manager who observes the game and decides what needs to be changed. Before the drinks break when a player gets ruined - they get ruined until half time or even worse until the end of the game on empty legs. The drink break gives that opportunity to adapt the tactics more. I think I saw this with Brandon William's who was having a poor time in a game and after a drinks break things changed for him to look more composed due to changes that Ole made to him aswell as potentially feeling he had more endurance after a break.

I see this in alot of other sports even though I dont follow much.