PL clubs reject 5 subs rule for next season

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good decision, makes lot of sense.

Siorac

Good news for clubs with less squad depth, bad news for high pressing teams.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yeh I’m happy with that, would have made next season abit of a mockery.

Andersonson

I think they've looked at this all wrong.
3 subs is fine, but you still should be able to give youth a chance.

Why not 3 subs over 23 years old and 2 extra for U23 ? This could push for more teams bringing youth a chance and eventually boost the national team.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Who will be left standing to play the Euros at the end of the season ?

Agree 5 subs terrible for the competition as not fair on clubs with smaller squads.

Need to cut a competition or clubs just play under 21s in the cups? Going to be mountain of injuries next season if try pretend is a normal season.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Wasn’t against it but right decision I think.

As long as you get an extra sub if a game goes into extra time, then I think it’s all well and good.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just those ridiculous drinks breaks remaining now. Was nice to see a game without them last night.

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

Why not 3 subs over 23 years old and 2 extra for U23 ? This could push for more teams bringing youth a chance and eventually boost the national team.
Not the worst idea! But it would potentially go the other way. U23 players on the bench instead of starting, since those would be possible to bring in during the game.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
3 subs is right, but I do think they should put a rule in for one injury sub per game. (maybe that the player who is subbed off can't play the next game so it's not abused).

Definitely needs to be something for head injury substitutions.

siw2007

5 subs rule made sense during this time period due to the circumstances but going forward it's better that it goes back to 3 subs.

Leonzo1

Excellent, would have benefited us as one of the big clubs but I don't like it sportsmanship wise.
Will we still have the bizarre drink breaks?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

feck that. We have given youth chances without 2 extra subs and are reaping the rewards of the risk. If you can't do that then sell the youth and buy finished talent for top dollar.

Superunknown

This is a good idea and has some sound logic behind it with giving younger players more potential game time. However, there would still be an inherent bias towards the bigger clubs who have their own developed academies and who buy rising talents from a younger age. For example, Ferran Torres, who City just signed, is only 20.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Happy to see a return to 3 subs next season but I wonder if other leagues will follow suit. What about the drinks breaks also known as coaching breaks?

RUCK4444

Good news for clubs with less squad depth, bad news for high pressing teams.
This. In a way it may have benefited us, that said it definitely would have benefitted the Scousers at the same time so I would have voted against it.

Nickelodeon

Definitely. Think of Liverpool/City chasing a goal and being able to bring on 5 fresh players. Ridiculous.
I think it's mostly City who would've benefited. Liverpool don't have such a deep squad. In fact, I'm sure they would've voted against this given the size of advantage it would've given to City.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Correct decision but i do hope one day they allow us to put our full B teams on the bench, gives more options and lets players feel more involved.

flappyjay

Who will be left standing to play the Euros at the end of the season ?

Agree 5 subs terrible for the competition as not fair on clubs with smaller squads.

Need to cut a competition or clubs just play under 21s in the cups? Going to be mountain of injuries next season if try pretend is a normal season.
This. If Manchester United or Manchester city reach a European final the will be given 30 days off and start the league late. This means league games for them will be compressed into a short period.

DBT85

I get why they rejected it, but players are going to be gassed to feck next season. Just because they had a 3 month break this season doesn't magic their bodies into coping with finishing this season and not not having much time off before the next one.

Wayne's World

Games not dead yet.....

Drinks break next please (Even though I think they are gone now aren't they)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I get why they rejected it, but players are going to be gassed to feck next season. Just because they had a 3 month break this season doesn't magic their bodies into coping with finishing this season and not not having much time off before the next one.
The managers can rotate a bit then, rather than give some players 50+ appearances per season.