PL forwards of the early 90s

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Will seem biased and possibly is but Robbie Fowler was the one I loved watching, kid could score from anywhere with either foot and head and nearly always seemed to hit a corner of the net. One of the last players I was genuinely gutted to see leave.

Other ones I admired and thought were fantastic were Tony Yeboah at Leeds, Sheringham at Spurs and then United, Cole at Newcastle then United, Shearer at Blackburn and Newcastle, Le Tiss at Southampton, Hasslebaink at Chelsea, Phillips at Sunderland, Asprilla at Newcastle and probably a few others I've forgotten or I'm not sure were there at the right time.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Not sure what's wrong with that, IMO Collymore had the potential to be the best of all the strikers mentioned in this thread.
I don't think so. He was a solid player but he was never as good as Shearer or Cole. Collymore found his level and had a good career, but I don't see under what circumstances he would have become better than Shearer, or Cantona.

IrishMcD

This is getting totally of topic now but this thread just got me thinking of the sticker albums we used to collect in school, I swear I got Peter Ndlovu and Eric Thorstvedt in every packet!! I'm a teacher now and all the kids are big into "Match Attacks", tried explain how much better stickers were but they think I'm an old fart now. They're probably right.

Back on topic, all the names mentioned above were quality. Used to get so nervous every time United came up against Big Dunc!!

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Will seem biased and possibly is but Robbie Fowler was the one I loved watching, kid could score from anywhere with either foot and head and nearly always seemed to hit a corner of the net. One of the last players I was genuinely gutted to see leave
In the mid-90s I feared him more than any other player in the league.

I don't think so. He was a solid player but he was never as good as Shearer or Cole. Collymore found his level and had a good career, but I don't see under what circumstances he would have become better than Shearer, or Cantona.
For me he could have been better than both, just didn't have the head to fulfill his crazy potential.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was gutted when Shearer went to Newcastle. A brilliant striker that would have led us to another European cup at least.

Righteous Steps

He could dribble better than both, was more explosive and had a very strong left foot, think he had the most potential too.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Lee Chapman was still good in the early 90s, mostly before the PL started though and as he was at Leeds I can't say I enjoyed watching him!

21 and 16 goals in the first 2 seasons of the decade, 13 in the first PL season. Fashanu still around too for Wimbledon and a threat.

Anyone remember Mark Stein having a really hot run for Chelsea at one point in the early PL years? Him and his brother Brian were more 80s players again. Speaking of Chelsea, Gavin Peacock always had a horrible habit of scoring against us in the 90s.

Makes you think back to the talent that was available for English selection. Much better than it is now!
Product of it's time I suppose.

Would a lot of them even get a chance in the league now? I'd have thought not.

Would they even merit it? Realistically standards have improved since the market became global as opposed to mostly UK and Ireland and a fair few of the players mentioned in the thread would be getting less game time if any at all. They were the best around the time though and still a lot of fun to watch.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
If Collymore has gone to united and been managed by SAF his career may have gone in a different way. Had so much potential and was pretty exciting to watch. Loved the way he’d pick the ball up and just run at defenders. He could crack them from long range too

Shearer was more consistent and more driven. Chicken and beans

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Lee Chapman was still good in the early 90s, mostly before the PL started though and as he was at Leeds I can't say I enjoyed watching him!

21 and 16 goals in the first 2 seasons of the decade, 13 in the first PL season. Fashanu still around too for Wimbledon and a threat.

Anyone remember Mark Stein having a really hot run for Chelsea at one point in the early PL years? Him and his brother Brian were more 80s players again. Speaking of Chelsea, Gavin Peacock always had a horrible habit of scoring against us in the 90s.

Product of it's time I suppose.

Would a lot of them even get a chance in the league now? I'd have thought not.

Would they even merit it? Realistically standards have improved since the market became global as opposed to mostly UK and Ireland and a fair few of the players mentioned in the thread would be getting less game time if any at all. They were the best around the time though and still a lot of fun to watch.
I don’t see why the likes of shearer, Ferdinand, Cole, Hirst, Deane, Collymore, Sheringham, cantona, LeTissier, Fowler etc. wouldn’t play well in the modern game and I wouldn’t necessarily say that the strikers have got better in the modern game even with foreign imports

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
If Collymore has gone to united and been managed by SAF his career may have gone in a different way. Had so much potential and was pretty exciting to watch. Loved the way he’d pick the ball up and just run at defenders. He could crack them from long range too

Shearer was more consistent and more driven. Chicken and beans
There was always a mentality issue around Collymore though and that is part of the game. Bit like Gazza.

He could dribble better than both, was more explosive and had a very strong left foot, think he had the most potential too.
I don't know. I see that as being very hard to quantify. If he had the most potential surely he would have had a better career than he did? I remember Collymore from the 90s and I don't remember rating him higher than Shearer. Maybe the Liverpool connection skewed my interpretation.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anyone remember Mark Stein having a really hot run for Chelsea at one point in the early PL years
Yeah, Chelsea did the double over us in 93/94 when we were at our absolute most dominant, I think Mark Stein scored the winner in both matches, certainly one of them.