PL International Cup - Manchester United vs Athletic Club

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
At Leigh Sports Village
Kick off at 7pm GMT
Live on MUTV

Ryan Giggs has been helping Manchester United's Reserves side prepare for their Premier League International Cup games.

The Reds began their Group D campaign with a 2-1 victory over Swansea City and Giggs has been passing on his wealth of knowledge to Ricky Sbragia's youngsters in an attempt to steel them for the task ahead.

James Wilson, who was handed his senior debut by Giggs during his interim spell in charge of the Reds against Hull City in 2014, scored both goals in the success against the Swans but less familiar opponents will follow in Athletic Club and Celtic.

The intriguing contest with Bilbao outfit Athletic is to be screened live by MUTV on Wednesday, with the anglo-Scottish battle against the Bhoys scheduled for Saturday 2 December.

Last season, the Reds topped a group containing Middlesbrough, Sparta Prague and Villarreal in the first phase of the competition, only to lose to the eventual winners FC Porto in the knockout stages.

"We had Giggsy in last week talking about the Premier League International Cup," revealed Joe Riley to MUTV. "Obviously, we're going to play teams from afar. The preparation might be different and the play might be different.

"Preparation is a part of that with the way the lads get up for the games and the way we deal with things in the match, it may be tactical or it may be physical. We've got to prepare for whatever is coming our way really."

Callum Gribbin also discussed the words of encouragement from the Old Trafford great. "Ryan came in a couple of weeks ago and told us what he'd won at the club and reminded us about European football and stuff like that, which was good," said Gribbin. "To have a person like that [do it] - what a player he was and what a career he had here. So you've always got to listen to players like that."

Meanwhile, DJ Buffonge has also spoken of the assistance he continues to receive from Giggs as he looks to make his mark at Under-23 level.

"I was starstruck at first when I saw the players and coaches," he said. "The likes of Nicky Butt and, when I first came here, Ryan Giggs. He was very supportive and kind to me. He gave me good advice. I definitely feel like I can see Butty or Giggsy around the club and could still go to them for advice.

"Even though Ryan is not actually here coaching now, I know he would still give me time and help me."

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Half time: Mufc 0-1 Athletic club.

United have had their fair share of the ball but have created very little bar a couple of chances from crosses. The front three have been ineffective.

This 11 doesn't have any 'poor' players but has nothing great in it either.

On the other hand 12 months ago I would have got rid of Mctominay without hesitation and now he's maybe our best player having improved a lot.

SkeppyRed

Rojo looked focused and hungry. Good sign. Sang had great positioning. Coach being a dick giving him stick for a couple of misplaced passes but he looks pretty intelligent player.
I see what you mean but his passing was sloppy.

deafepl

Heard Mctominay scored. Anyone have a footage of Mctominay's goal?

pacifictheme

He is beyond the u18s now. The u23 league is garbage. It is hardly jumping the gun to expect to see him getting some minutes at this level.
Oh i know, i'm not having a go at you. My first thought when i saw the topic was the same, will he play? I just think people have seen him in thr u18s where he was great and have rewlly really high hopea for him. Especially as he is english (in my case anyway).

SkeppyRed

United 2-1 win.

Ref was lenient but fair with both teams.

Gribbin came on and did well which is pleasing.

lysglimt

Scout
Probably the best I have seen from the reserves all season - especially taken the opposition into consideration. Many of our players did well - Mitchell was defensively poor and had an off-day. Kehinde was the big surprise for me today - very good game. Ercolani had a good game, but that tackle was as red as they come so he was lucky.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Wasn't able to catch the game so don't know how they did but why are Sang and Ercolani getting games? They could barely get games at u18s and now they are playing over Whelan or someone like Buffonge is constantly on the bench.

buchansleftleg

Wasn't able to catch the game so don't know how they did but why are Sang and Ercolani getting games? They could barely get games at u18s and now they are playing over Whelan or someone like Buffonge is constantly on the bench.
Sang have a few balls away but his positioning was excellent. Reminded me of Ray Wilkins....showing my age and probably not helping the lads reputation there!

kundalini

Because we had a run of 6 games in which we conceded at least 2 goals in every game. Time to give other players a chance. Looks like formation changed slightly with Sang giving the defence extra protection (in theory), Buffonge sacrificed. Instead of Warren +1, it seems to be Ercolani + 1 in central defence at the moment, though that may change with Rojo, Tuanzebe and Ro-shaun Williams needing games.

I'm amazed O'Hara has kept his place in the side.

Results since the change are 1-0 win over Sunderland, 2-1 win against Swansea, 2-2 friendly with Rangers, 2-1 win over Athletic

Last edited:

ariel

The passing, especially in the first half, was sloppy. But the lads gave a good fight and earned a good result.
No doubt the first team experience is doing McTominay wonders. His confidence is high and it felt as if he was playing like a grown up with boys (well, he is also so tall). The second goal was thanks to his determination, though Kehinde's composure on the assist was wonderful.