PL Results since 19th December: Utd v Liverpool

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Since that momentous day on the 19th December;a day that will live in in infamy. Yes the world awakening 7-0 against the mighty Palace. This is what it looks like
Liverpool
19th v Palace A- 7-0 win
27th v WBA H - 1-1 draw
30th v Newcastle- 0-0 draw
Jan
4th v Southampton A1-0 L
17th v Utd H 0-0 D
21st v Burnley H 1-0 L

Utd
20th v Leeds H 6-2 W
26th V Leicester A 2-2 draw
29th v Wolves H 1-0 W
Jan
1st v Villa H 2-1 W
12th v Burnley A 1-0 W
17th v Liverpool A 0-0 D
20th v Fulham A 2-1 W

I’d add that our fixtures were tougher on paper and in practice.
17 out of 21... not bad

Raw

It's actually incredible that they've only scored once since that win (not counting the FA Cup match against Villa's U5s team).

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I watched that Crystal Palace game.

It was no where near a 7-0 game. I actually thought Palace looked quite dangerous at times and should have scored a few.

sparx99

I watched that Crystal Palace game.

It was no where near a 7-0 game. I actually thought Palace looked quite dangerous at times and should have scored a few.
It was! First half palace should have scored 2-3 goals but messed up the final pass or shot.

The last half hour was a stroll for Liverpool because they had scored 5 and were just enjoying it. Around 4 of their goals were brilliant efforts as well they just happened to score a bunch of wonder goals in one game.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It was! First half palace should have scored 2-3 goals but messed up the final pass or shot.

The last half hour was a stroll for Liverpool because they had scored 5 and were just enjoying it. Around 4 of their goals were brilliant efforts as well they just happened to score a bunch of wonder goals in one game.
The funny thing is; it was still only 3 points! The fact that they’ve dropped so many to weaker teams since puts it into perspective

Sylar

You look at the dates of the games too. Theyve had more recovery time, planning time as well. And a better set of fixtures (playing one less?)

I think (maybe) only City had a better run of fixtures than them.

cyberman

Id put our results over Citys wins that have them supposed favourites imo

cyberman

However like us, they are doing enough to get over the line without hitting top form
I dunno, we have had some good performances over that period.
Villa was a genuinely good game. We doninated Burnley until the long balled it for 10 minutes at the end

Cultured left ankle

Even going back further than the Palace game, there are a few results which suggest this isn't just a 'blip' - 1-1 vs Fulham, Brighton and Midtjylland. They only beat Spurs with a 90 minute winner. Also these are all teams who are in poor form. You'd expect 'champions' to beat Newcastle and West Brom without too many problems. Yes, you get one-off results in football, but this is quite an embarassing run of form for our scouse friends.

I always would hear the phrase 'there's nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal' as applied to when ourselves or Arsenal or whoever had surprisingly lost a match, and then we'd smash the subsequent team. There doesn't seem to be much of that with this Liverpool team: They lost vs Villa, they then draw vs (admitedly a good, but 10-man) Everton; lost vs Atalanta, draw vs Brighton; lost vs Southampton, easy win vs. very understrength Villa, then draw vs us. They don't seem to be a team that responds well to adversity.

The great thing is, looking ahead there aren't any real bankers - even the Sheff Utd match is potentially tricky. Any team should be looking at these games as possible points to be gained compared to last season where I expect many teams 'played the occasion' to quote Neville from the other day.

I hope we're looking at this ourselves for Sunday. I was on the fence about whether we should focus on the league over the FA cup, but this is a great chance to put them to sword; we can rest a few vs Sheff Utd.

sparx99

It’s crazy they aren’t looking for a CB. It’s not that they’ve suddenly started conceding loads it’s that they now don’t have Henderson and Fabinho in midfield.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The funny thing is; it was still only 3 points! The fact that they’ve dropped so many to weaker teams since puts it into perspective
As the old saying goes, you'd rather win 1-0 seven times than 7-0 once.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
You look at the dates of the games too. Theyve had more recovery time, planning time as well. And a better set of fixtures (playing one less?)

I think (maybe) only City had a better run of fixtures than them.
I'm starting to believe that more time between games isn't always a good thing, momentum is key in most walks of life and the larger gaps between matches seems to cause more of a drop off in intensity. I'm of no doubt that tiredness does play its part and it does catch up with teams eventually but sometimes you can fall back on a cushion that has been built up.

Keeping up match sharpness is far more important than longer periods of resting up and training, we paid the price at the start of the season but are reaping the rewards now the same applies to Man City.

Sylar

I'm starting to believe that more time between games isn't always a good thing, momentum is key in most walks of life and the larger gaps between matches seems to cause more of a drop off in intensity. I'm of no doubt that tiredness does play its part and it does catch up with teams eventually but sometimes you can fall back on a cushion that has been built up.

Keeping up match sharpness is far more important than longer periods of resting up and training, we paid the price at the start of the season but are reaping the rewards now the same applies to Man City.
I get what you're saying, but the difference is one or two days rather than a whole week. That one or two days should be an advantage not a disadvantage during the Christmas period

If we had wba, Newcastle and Burnley in 3 of our next 4 I'd be happy as it's a good chance to build a run of wins and get momentum that way

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I agree with you and it is about balance. I think that the period over Christmas where you only had a one day break is ridiculous but having 2-3 days break between games can really help a side compared to a side having 1-2 weeks off compared to a side playing regularly.

el3mel

Crazy when you think about it, when Spurs and Liverpool faced each other it was pointed as the game that will decide the league winner or something, and when Liverpool defeated both of them and Palace it looked dead certain they're gonna run with it. Now both Spurs and Liverpool are 5th and 4th respectively.

I think our players should have this in their mind. The current league is crazy and we can't rest or feel we're done because we're leading the table. One or two poor results in a row could see us dropping again to 4th or something. Stay focused and put 100% every game.