Plan B

TheReligion

Abusive
Whilst I think the Sancho deal may still happen if it doesn't I'd like to see us look at;

a) Brooks from Bournemouth
b) Grealish

As a wildcard we could also try Sarr from Watford.

Brooks would be best value, Grealish best for versatility and Sarr best for rawness. That said I think Grealish would be the best to just walk in and give the squad something immediately with the other two perhaps needing a bit more patience.

I guess the question is does the new player replace the Sancho interest or are they a stop gap and we go back for Sancho again? That is the key.

UpWithRivers

30 mill Brooks
40 mill Partey
40 mill Van De Beek

Round about the same fee. Still think we should get Sancho.

Alemar

No it isn't. If we don't get Sancho then who else is there to sign permanently? Obviously Sancho is the first choice but it might not happen.
If we don’t sign Sancho, we shall sign players for other positions. We need to learn NOT to sign any old overpaid injury prone players - NEVER, under no circumstances

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we don’t sign Sancho, we shall sign players for other positions. We need to learn NOT to sign any old overpayed injury prone players - NEVER, under no circumstances
I'm happy not signing him and letting Greenwood play there tbh. Greenwood is dynamite.

But we would have to replace AWB if that's what we do as Greenwood drifits inside all the time and AWB is just plainly not good enough on the ball to provide decent width.

cyberman

We beef up the squad. Sign a first choice CB and squad fillers so the drop off isnt too big.
So Mason is injured. We still have Pogba, Bruno, Rashford and Martial on the pitch. We just need the replacement to be serviceable

Sad Chris

In what basis would Barca want a simple loan deal for dembele? Add into it that he hasn’t played, has terrible work ethic and if he can’t make the effort for his dream move what will he do here? Our reputation with young injured players has never been great either!!
Possibly for financial reasons. I don‘t think Barca are coping that well financially. We could pay his wages for the duration of the loan.

Nevertheless, I agree with your arguments against considering him.

Craig Ward

Seems like our "Plan B" options being thrown about in here are really scrapping the barrel of desperation.

I'd rather we didnt sign anyone if these are the best suggestions as an alternative to Sancho.

Jesus wept

Demebele = Hasnt played well in 2-3 seasons. On mega money. Even a loan would be expensive. Injury record to rival Bailly. Atrocious suggestion
Coman = Poor injury record. Bayern have said they need width. He's not for sale
Sarr = Watford paid 35mil for him. He looks like he;s worth about 10. Not worth it
Brooks = Fee being touted at 30Mil. Far too expensive for someone who operates best centrally. Havent we been playing central players wide right with limited success for about 8 years now?
Grealish = Probably the best option but he shouldnt be a Sancho "Alternative". Grealish needs to be considered as a signing but not solely for RW
J.King = See Grealish. Ighalo's replacement/backup to Martial. Not a sole RW signing.

I honestly think Traore from Wolves would be the best option. His pace is devastating and he's improving his end product.

fps

I think Traoré would be a more interesting alternative than loaning someone like Coman or Dembele, for whom United would be a step down.
I agree, Traore. United need a destroyer who’s a nightmare to play against.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Brooks is the one for me, very good player, tends to come inside a lot onto his stronger foot though, which would give AWB chance to overlap, and don't say he's no good going forward, he has put in some excellent crosses this season, albeit not enough, so next season I expect the coaches to have worked on his attacking skills, and will give him the confidence to go past the defender.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Easy, David Brooks, left footed right winger, can also play as a AM so can take up Lingard and Mata's position in the squad if Sancho is eventually signed.
This. I'd like someone like David Brooks because it's a left footed winger that is the direct replacement for Mata ie a player who can play RAM, CAM and maybe even RCM on occasion- the right handed side of Grealish.

This is the player we should have got instead of daniel james anyway.

LuckyScout78

My personal and taste of cup. It easily Federico Chiesa. I consider Josip Ilicic from Atalanta before he had personal problem.
Chiesa and Greenwood. And even Mata is looking like he getting a new life and blossom. So i would be satisfy with Chiesa, Greenwood and Mata as RW options.

Next summer i try again on Sancho. But if Chiesa is doing well for United as RW this season. Then i will be lesser desperate and in need for Sancho, going into a new negotiation. Dortmund is playing really hard to get with Sancho. Because Dortmund is knowing United really really want Sancho. Then the power is on Dortmund side. The buyer shall showing desperation. A club like United shall be equal attraction to Sancho, as much Sancho attract United. It has to be mutual. Of course United want best players out there. But at the same time. United are slowly on the way back to the top. The players have to desire and willingness to play for United.

Like Chiesa. If United show interest in him and make a bid. Then i am sure Chiesa will show sign that he want to join United. Only Pirlo with Juventus might be interest to buy Chiesa.

This summer :

Chiesa/Greenwood/Mata - Bruno/Chiesa - Chiesa/Martial/Rashford + Greenwood/Rashford/Martial

Alternative to 4321 is United‘s 90 442 with 2 CF. Special without Bruno, in need.

Chiesa - McTom - Pogba/Matic - Martial/Rashford + Greenwood - Rashford/Martial

Greenwood is the sharpest and most clinical CF right now in United. If Pogba is out of injury. Then Bruno can go deeper and take Pogba role as the offensive creative nr.8, beside a fighter and warrior player in McTom. A Keane mould of player. Then 442 with two really CF can be a really good XI line up.

Conclusion. Chiesa is on Bruno level and quality. Hard work and mentality too. Chiesa is versatile. Chiesa can play as RW, CAM and LW. But is best as LW.
And next summer United shall try again on Sancho....and De Ligt.
Chiesa this summer. Recall Smalling back. Then go big on De Ligt and Sancho next summer or after.
United are not winning premier league next year. But close the gap to the winner as possible. Then maybe about 1-2 years from now. It’s time to spend big.

My vote go to Federico Chiesa easily. I consider Josip Ilicic above Chiesa before his personal problem. Right now. No Sancho and Ilicic. Then you have Chiesa and the boy Juventus just bought this January. Dejan Kulusevski.

Dejan Kulusevski is definitely one to keep eyes on. 20 years age from Sweden. 10 goals and 8 assists for average and middle table team Parma. The boy has it.

Two quality and really good creative attacking RW and football player in Federico Chiesa and Dejan Kulusevski.

El Zoido

We’re not going for anyone else instead, we’ll be back in for Sancho next summer. If we sign someone else then Sancho is off the table forever. Need to think long term. A loan is plausible but who of the required quality is is available to loan? We should instead spend money on other positions that need strengthening.

Houdini

Ansu Fati? + CB and CDM. Grealish but not for 80mil.

MattofManchester

Viktor Tsyhankov?

Signing Traore or Zaha cements our status as one of the clubs on the inferior end of the top tier.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think Traoré would be a more interesting alternative than loaning someone like Coman or Dembele, for whom United would be a step down.
I'm sorry, did you just say on a Manchester United forum, that a move to Manchester United is a step down.

Close the door on your way out son :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Have to admit I wasn’t sold on Traore initially but he seems to be going strength to strength.
He's a souped up Dan James. Fairly useless against the "low block" (hate that phrase) teams.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We’re not going for anyone else instead, we’ll be back in for Sancho next summer. If we sign someone else then Sancho is off the table forever. Need to think long term. A loan is plausible but who of the required quality is is available to loan? We should instead spend money on other positions that need strengthening.
Yep - if recent history has taught us nothing else, it's that buying lesser players because they're available, is not the way forward.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ideal situation would be getting Dembele on loan + 1 quality squad player for the offensive area. That squad player could be Perisic - > experienced, great scorer, can play all 3 attacking positions and really good workrate.He has been really really effective for Bayern coming from the bench ( 7 goals, 10 assists, averaging 1 scorer point every 94 minutes. ).

Last edited:

Alemar

I'm sorry, did you just say on a Manchester United forum, that a move to Manchester United is a step down.

Close the door on your way out son :lol:
Agree, that was a strange take from him.

Resch

A good plan b would be:
Backup 10 like Szoboszlai for 25 mill £
DM like Zakaria ( Camavinga as young alternative) 50 mill £
CB like Pau Torres 40 mill £
And a cheap gamble like V. Lazaro for 12 mill £. He could be a backup for RW and RB, likes to press, hard worker and still young.

AneRu

I would go for Dembele on loan with an option to buy. Koopmeiners for £35m, Szoboszlai for £25m and a CB after outgoings.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Papers also reporting that we have put a halt to all other negotiation/transfers until Sancho done. Brilliant - another bunch who can't do more thing one think at once. what is the opposite of multi-tasking? (woodwarding, maybe - yes I know about Judge, I am being sarcastic)

Zeno

Forget RW. Our plan should be to get a Matic upgrade. Who is the 2020 equivalent of 1981 Bryan Robson or 1993 Roy Keane (or maybe 2006 Michael Carrick at a stretch)?

Resch

Papers also reporting that we have put a halt to all other negotiation/transfers until Sancho done. Brilliant - another bunch who can't do more thing one think at once. what is the opposite of multi-tasking? (woodwarding, maybe - yes I know about Judge, I am being sarcastic)
A halt to all negotiations would mean no transfers till next summer, because Dortmund would not start the negotiation again untill next summer. Ed knows how to create excuses: "We could not sign anybody, bacause we were all focused on Sancho and it took us so long to find out Dortmund wont sell this transer window....

Flanders Devil

If we don't get Sancho i'd try and get Bale on loan for 2 seasons with Madrid paying half of his wages. Then we can upgrade another 1 or 2 positions too.

Bale on loan plus 2 more good players to improve the team and squad or just Sancho? Which makes us stronger?
Unpopular opinion, but I largely agree As it’s only a 10m/year gamble with Bale...bit also with a few other caveats.

- Sancho is still clearly my preference, even for 100m
- Bale loan to have a cancel at anytime option so that we can go back in for Sancho at anytime
- and to your point - invest that money in 1 or 2 players to additionally strengthen our team.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Easy, David Brooks, left footed right winger, can also play as a AM so can take up Lingard and Mata's position in the squad if Sancho is eventually signed.
Imagine the meltdown. Fans are expecting Sancho & end up with David Brooks :lol:

Goodness me rival fans would be lapping it up.

I’d look at Bale on loan, paying half his wages. Then go back in for Sancho next summer.

starman

Imagine the meltdown. Fans are expecting Sancho & end up with David Brooks :lol:

Goodness me rival fans would be lapping it up.

I’d look at Bale on loan, paying half his wages. Then go back in for Sancho next summer.
Yeah by people with such short memories over Sanchez who then want Bale...:rolleyes:
Also i don't think you even understand the post when it's made clear Brooks can be a eventual replacement for Mata & Lingard

SwedishFish

Sancho or nothing. Strengthen other positions, what's the point in buying injury-prone players for relatively high transfer fees when they most likely can't play for most of the season?

Grealish is massively overvalued, we shouldn't buy him now for the quoted 80 million that they want for him. Rather we wait a year and then go for him when Villa inevitably gets relegated next season.

We could do with a DM, LB and a challenging CB instead if we're not getting Sancho. But not getting Sancho would peg back the clubs hope to challenge massively. That's my take on it.

SwedishFish

Dybala would be great, but he'll cost as much or nearly as much as Sancho, and does he even want to come here?

Could be a Sanchez 2.0 situation IMO.

iHicksy

Sancho or nothing? You guys really need to give your heads a wobble. I don't understand how people don't realise the need for squad depth. We have a front three that are good enough and then the entire front line up baring ighalo aren't. Do you actually believe that there is only one player good enough to play on the right for manchester united in the entire world and that's Sancho?

Just because we don't sign him doesn't mean we have to sign some crock. Oh yeah Sancho or nothing. Please let's see what happens when we get a single fecking injury to our front line and we have to watch Mata hobble around on the right wing or Jesse two assists in a season lingard rock up. Not to mention the players will be run into the ground because we only have one set of players good enough for our starting 11.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah by people with such short memories over Sanchez who then want Bale...:rolleyes:
Also i don't think you even understand the post when it's made clear Brooks can be a eventual replacement for Mata & Lingard
Bale on loan wouldn’t be too bad. I’m not saying sign him permanently.

I wasn’t shitting on your suggestion im just saying it would be a very unpopular one.

Rajat Jain

I agree, Traore. United need a destroyer who’s a nightmare to play against.
Yes totally agree, he should be the first player to be considered for the RW position after Sancho, major factor being he has PL experience, Wolves would probably sell for almost half the price for Sancho. Only thing that is not in favour of him is that he is more of a Dan James type. Devastating on the counter but when we are going to have majority of the ball, he'll be stagnated on the right hand side, need someone with a killer last ball and positionally aware