Play the kids for Europa [Poll added]

What strength team should we play in the final rounds of the Europa League?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

manunited1919

I thought it’s in our DNA to win trophies. What has happened to some of our fans? We will have a go at this, thankfully without the pressure of having to use it as a way to qualify for UCL.

Snuffkin

Lingard (gk)
Lingard
Lingard
Lingard
Lingard
Lingard
Lingard (C)
Lingard
Lingard
Lingard
Lingard
Subs:
Lingard
Lingard
Lingard

SteveW

Kids v Lask.

First team will manage the other 3 games after 2 weeks off.

Roux

Yes it is. But it's not normal times. People are talking as if we are going for the trophy and then players are going to get a rest. There is bigger fish to fry next season and I hope Ole shows sense and doesn't over react like some on here.

If we think we aren't good enough for CL or PL and comfortably will get top 4 next season then it makes sense. Right now it's important to make sure we consolidate our position in the top 4 and make progress in the PL. You think Pool players or fans care a damn that they aren't in the FA cup? They prioritized the more important trophies and although some on here look down on that, their PL win basically justified that stance.

We need to ensure we are better placed to progress in the PL next season than worry about a second tier European trophy which even Sir Alex didn't care much about.
I'm not really sure what you are waffling on about to be honest - just going around in circles. There is adequate break now, between the games and after the games. This isn't a new competition from the start - its 3 games. I agree with everyone else, rest for the LASK game and then play a strong team from there.

Its far more important to win trophies. Liverpool has won a trophy - do you want them to keep winning them just so we can play a weak side in competitions but be the 'fitter' team and consolidate 4th spot? Ridiculous. The players will be desperate to play again after a week or 2 off.

You could argue we could go into the season much fitter than the other teams - as this will almost be our pre-season.

SATA

I would give only Rashford the entire period off to go somewhere in Dubai, rest his back and prepare for the new season. And perhaps Wan Bissaka and Matic as well. Other than that, the first team should play after LASK

Nikelesh Reddy

I'd rather win the Europa league that the FA cup, so since we out the FA, why not push for this!!
Absolutely.The EL is far more important than the FA cup...Since we couldn’t really give it a good go in the semifinal,I think we should take the EL very seriously.We can rest our players for the 2nd leg against LASK,but after that,it’s just 3 games in Germany...There won’t be any travel between games as well....Winning a European trophy would be the icing on the cake...Our players need to win as many trophies as possible....We should absolutely take the EL seriously....

stevoc

Yeah our greatest manager ever didn’t give two shits about this trophy and he won every trophy there is.

It’s a glorified bridesmaid trophy.
Did he play the youth team in it?

No so he obviously gave a shit. Even if he didn’t make it a priority.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I would give only Rashford the entire period off to go somewhere in Dubai, rest his back and prepare for the new season. And perhaps Wan Bissaka and Matic as well. Other than that, the first team should play after LASK
Would the players be even allowed to go to Dubai at this moment?

starman

What's the point of competitive sport if you don't try and win trophies :confused:
Mass rest players for the first game because we are 5-0 up, but to not try and win the thing would be silly

peridigm

This is our preseason. No pressure to win it since we obtained 3rd in the PL. Us and Inter are favorites to get to the final. We should go for it for sure. Play a weak side against Lask as we're already beyond that and then it's 3 more matches to lift the trophy. The final is on August 21st and the PL starts on September 12th. That's enough to rest in between if anyone is worried about burn out.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
Now that champions league is secured.

Don’t think we should bother with the Europa league. Yeah it’s another trophy, but we over used our starting 11 and they all need a break.

Would give some of the young and fringe players a go.
What?!??? FFS guys we are Manchester United, it's an European Trophy, for what Kind of reason we should rest our best players? We Lost the opportunity ton win the F.A. Cup for the same reason.

Bojan11

Also people forgetting you can’t play new signings, so it’s not really a pre season. We going to have this and arrange pre season games before the season starts.

JohnnyKills

For the Lask game I'd play a similar team to the one that played in Astana, plus Mjebri.

Then it looks like we're going to get a slightly lesser side in the last 8, so a mixture of kids and stars.

If we get through that game and get a top side in the semi, play as strong a team as possible.

But I'd give Maguire, Rashford and Bruno a complete rest.

The important thing is that we find some youngsters who can step up to the first-team squad next season. We've all seen the lack of depth and we don't have unlimited funds to plug all the gaps. So if we can add a couple of players from within that would be excellent.

EwanI Ted

What's the point of competitive sport if you don't try and win trophies :confused:
Mass rest players for the first game because we are 5-0 up, but to not try and win the thing would be silly
The reason to rest players in a second tier competition is to increase our chances in the competitions that matter most.

NK86

I'm not really sure what you are waffling on about to be honest - just going around in circles. There is adequate break now, between the games and after the games. This isn't a new competition from the start - its 3 games. I agree with everyone else, rest for the LASK game and then play a strong team from there.

Its far more important to win trophies. Liverpool has won a trophy - do you want them to keep winning them just so we can play a weak side in competitions but be the 'fitter' team and consolidate 4th spot? Ridiculous.
Unless you are blind to read the point I made, I think my thought was pretty clear. We have played a whole season, the 3 months' break wasn't the normal one where players were away on holiday, relaxing or enjoying their time off. The mental side of things with the pandemic also takes a toll. I guess you are one of those who thinks people stuck at home during these times are basically enjoying a holiday.

The players are physically absolutely knackered and you feel 2 weeks off is all they need to recover for a full season again. I don't agree with that stance. Don't ramble on about how playing 1 match/week is fine and players don't need to recover for a full season ahead, unless you have any other point to add.

Nick7

Play the kids. Give the first team time off and a pre season. Not long now till next season starts.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Give the first team players a break and don't bother playing them before QF. So they get 2 weeks break to relax from now on. Then 3 matches for a trophy and I am sure our big players will love to win one. They won't like not playing and giving up trophy chance.

m1tch

Clearly the second team can finish the job against LASK, but after that I think we've got to go for the trophy. We're fortunate that the final stages are being played how they are really.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah our greatest manager ever didn’t give two shits about this trophy and he won every trophy there is.

It’s a glorified bridesmaid trophy.
Usually because we were competing for league titles at the time. At this moment we aren't and need to get a taste for winning trophies. SAF started winning with the F.A. Cup. The cup a lot on here look down on as a nothing trophy.

Roux

Unless you are blind to read the point I made, I think my thought was pretty clear. We have played a whole season, the 3 months' break wasn't the normal one where players were away on holiday, relaxing or enjoying their time off. The mental side of things with the pandemic also takes a toll. I guess you are one of those who thinks people stuck at home during these times are basically enjoying a holiday.

The players are physically absolutely knackered and you feel 2 weeks off is all they need to recover for a full season again. I don't agree with that stance. Don't ramble on about how playing 1 match/week is fine and players don't need to recover for a full season ahead, unless you have any other point to add.
You're just crying about athletes needing a break - after having 3 months without a single match - or even full contact training! 2 weeks off now and they'll be fine again. Don't act like these are bunch of 35 year olds playing a game every 3 days. It 3 matches for gods sake.

RK

I'd support the decision of the medical staff if they think some players would really benefit from the full 6 weeks off before the start of the next season, physically or mentally. That's a short amount of time even without another tournament.
I want us to win the EL but I'd be happy trying to do it without the full first team.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Just don't understand why anyone would not want to win this. Once today s dust settles we ll all realize that we are having a trophyless season and Chelsea, Arse or City could all end up with one up over us in that regard. Though I guess City already has one.. If the league cup even counts that is.

Bojan11

Usually because we were competing for league titles at the time. At this moment we aren't and need to get a taste for winning trophies. SAF started winning with the F.A. Cup. The cup a lot on here look down on as a nothing trophy.
We won this competition a few years ago and it didn’t really give us a taste. It did the opposite.

FA Cup is a much bigger trophy than this. This is the bridesmaid trophy.

starman

The reason to rest players in a second tier competition is to increase our chances in the competitions that matter most.
Pretty irrelevant when this is the last competition of the season before a break and then the next season starts up again with the schedule back to normal

SteveW

This. Can't believe some are advocating playing the kids for all the games. We're Manchester United ffs.
I'm actually pretty excited to watch them after a couple of weeks recovery and without CL qualification hanging over them.

I reckon they might put on a bit of a show :drool:

Roux

Then winning Europa does that... we improve our seed in the UCL.

Status
Not open for further replies.