Play the kids for Europa [Poll added]

What strength team should we play in the final rounds of the Europa League?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
In my opinion, the 20-21 season starts now, and it starts with the chance of winning a EL + playing the European SuperCup.

Kids? No, the Starting XI.

Withnail

I can't wait to check back at these comments on here when the players are tanking next season. It's not just 4 games. It's staying fit and training too.

And if we get to the final we will be playing our first PL game of the season against a team who will be on their 3rd game. Playing catch up fitness wise and points wise.

This is the the Europa League not the Champions League. We don't really need to win it now to achieve our aim for the season. I'd give 5 or 6 of the first team the summer off.

Liverpool are not happy about being made to play in the community shield and they don't have any European football. Let that sink in guys. They can see the bigger Picture.
Well at least you've got your priorities right.

EwanI Ted

Disagree. I think the motivational boost for our young squad to pickup a trophy is essential to our long term productivity. Not only for our players but our our staff.

Go out and win the trophy, get our transfers in and then regroup for the start of next season.
Playing the final quarter of last season plus the whole of next season without a meaningful break in the middle will result in tired legs long before our rivals are affected, no matter how inspiring a Europe League win could be. And if we fail to win, the price will be steep indeed.

Yes but season won't start same for all clubs. Apparently teams will get 1 month break, these games will be in same city, so no travelling too.

It won't be intense either, play kids vs LASK, rotate in QFs, if we are through play strong team in last 2 games. Take 2 weeks break and 2 weeks preparation for next season. They will be match fit and also get good rest in between.
As far as I know we’ll be starting 1 week later than the rest, unless something has changed in the last few days. Given that we’ll still be playing 4 weeks after the league ends, and 3 weeks after the cup final, it stands to reason we’ll have less rest time than most.

The only teams that might theoretically be playing as long as us are City, Wolves and Chelsea. Chelsea are all but out, and City won’t mind the negative next season if they win the CL. The only teams similarly affected are Wolves (who are probably the only team worse off than us).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Playing the final quarter of last season plus the whole of next season without a meaningful break in the middle will result in tired legs long before our rivals are affected, no matter how inspiring a Europe League win could be. And if we fail to win, the price will be steep indeed.

As far as I know we’ll be starting 1 week later than the rest, unless something has changed in the last few days. Given that we’ll still be playing 4 weeks after the league ends, and 3 weeks after the cup final, it stands to reason we’ll have less rest time than most.

The only teams that might theoretically be playing as long as us are City, Wolves and Chelsea. Chelsea are all but out, and City won’t mind the negative next season if they win the CL. The only teams similarly affected are Wolves (who are probably the only team worse off than us).
There was article on sky that clubs will get 1 month break after the finals, so first game would be on 20th september weekend.

We have 2.5 weeks break before QF game, after that it's 3 games with good enough rest. Post that 2 weeks break and 2 week preparation time, looks good enough IMO.

It's not like we will be touring whole of Europe to play these games, it will be same city. So light training, games and close to 0 travelling.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
We should actually be using these matches as our preseason. Not the next fixture but from the following match on. We should be rotating the big players in and out helping the fringe players to go as far as we can. We don’t really want to be playing the same 11 over and over again so soon after the season ends

Havak

Pokemon master
In my opinion, the 20-21 season starts now, and it starts with the chance of winning a EL + playing the European SuperCup.

Kids? No, the Starting XI.
Completely forgot about the Super Cup.

I know it's largely meaningless to most people, but we've only won it once in our history, same with the Europa League. They're still major honours and I want them. I want more trophies than Liverpool.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Just rotate the squad, Europa games is different from Premier League. Players like Mata, Fred, McTominay, Bailly and Igaho can start. If we win then that's a bonus.

ZupZup

So many sports scientists and fitness experts on here. Never knew the forum had such esteemed company.

I always remember Keano saying the toughest matches he played were in training and how it prepared him for the battles ahead. These players though can’t cope with playing 3 Europa matches in two weeks or they will be ruined for next season. Comical really.

klsv

July 26 Leicester

August 5 LASK (being 5 goals ahead)

August 10 Copenhagen or Basaksehir

August 16 Wolves/Sevilla/Roma

August 21 The final

September 12 Premier League starts

With all due respect to whoever we play after LASK, we should be able to beat them both in a one-off match, without our strongest team. Go all in for the semi and the final with our first string. By that time they've had a decent rest and will get to rest after that as well. Normally we'd play the Vietnam All-Stars or NY Bald Eagle Team Soccer Club in Papua New Guinea for the Irn-fecking-Bru Super Cup in the middle of the summer, with the whole squad getting migraine from all the jet lag. Might as well try win a European cup now that we're in a position like this.

EwanI Ted

There was article on sky that clubs will get 1 month break after the finals, so first game would be on 20th september weekend.

We have 2.5 weeks break before QF game, after that it's 3 games with good enough rest. Post that 2 weeks break and 2 week preparation time, looks good enough IMO.

It's not like we will be touring whole of Europe to play these games, it will be same city. So light training, games and close to 0 travelling.
Everyone else starts on weekend of 12th I think? So that’s just a week later than everyone else.

And again, it doesn’t matter how routine the schedule is, we’re playing, and in training for, competitive games when our rivals aren’t. That has to be paid for at some point.

roonster09

Scout
Everyone else starts on weekend of 12th I think? So that’s just a week later than everyone else.

And again, it doesn’t matter how routine the schedule is, we’re playing, and in training for, competitive games when our rivals aren’t. That has to be paid for at some point.
There is only so much x number of days rest can help. They will be back in preseason training to get match fit much earlier than us, whereas we will get match fitness using these Europa games.

Anyways lets see how we will proceed. There is 0 chance our first team going on holidays during Europa league games, so at best we are talking about extra 10 days rest, which means they will start training for next season early.

In any case, if we give up our game in QFs, we will have 1 month rest, just like how we will get 1 month rest from finals (as per Sky article).

Lost QF game on purpose and then start the PL season on 14th which would give 34 days between last game and first PL game.
Play in finals and then play the first game on 20th Sept weekend, which means around 29 days gap between last game and first PL game.

laughtersassassin

Lads we haven't won a trophy in years. Play the kids versus lask then go all out to win with our first 11.

Also it would put us in pot 1 for CL so would be both financially beneficial and give us a better starting off point

roonster09

Scout
I don't get it either. We're basically 3 games away from winning a trophy and yet they'd prefer to risk it by playing our squad players who've proven themselves totally incapable this season. Bizarre.
And the rest would remain same. Aug 10th being last game and Sept 14th first PL game.
Aug 21 and Sept 20-21 first PL game.

It's just 3-4 days extra days rest.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Well at least you've got your priorities right.
My priorities are always to see my club do the best.

But people are failing to see the big picture here. The players will have little time off before another 50 game plus season and then it's the Euros right after which only makes things worse.

The Europa League isn't being played when it was meant to. Us coming back and playing catch up in the PL points wise and fitness wise doesn't appeal to me.

Imagine if our first game of the season is Wolves or Leicester away and they are already 2 PL games into their seasons and much sharper. Imagine the meltdown if we fail to win that which could easily happen given we'd be behind them on match sharpness.

If the Europa was being played at its normal time then I'd have a very different opinion to the one I now have.

EwanI Ted

There is only so much x number of days rest can help. They will be back in preseason training to get match fit much earlier than us, whereas we will get match fitness using these Europa games.

Anyways lets see how we will proceed. There is 0 chance our first team going on holidays during Europa league games, so at best we are talking about extra 10 days rest, which means they will start training for next season early.

In any case, if we give up our game in QFs, we will have 1 month rest, just like how we will get 1 month rest from finals (as per Sky article).

Lost QF game on purpose and then start the PL season on 14th which would give 34 days between last game and first PL game.
Play in finals and then play the first game on 20th Sept weekend, which means around 29 days gap between last game and first PL game.
Why is there no chance of our first teamers going on holiday (assuming we wanted them to?)

roonster09

Scout
Why is there no chance of our first teamers going on holiday (assuming we wanted them to?)
Because they are not and they are training, I'm talking about realistic situation, not what should be happening.

EwanI Ted

Because they are not and they are training, I'm talking about realistic situation, not what should be happening.
They not in training right now, they were given a break from training. Either way, we’re talking about what the club might choose to do, there’s no reason he couldn’t play the kids, as the op puts it.

roonster09

Scout
They not in training right now, they were given a break from training. Either way, we’re talking about what the club might choose to do, there’s no reason he couldn’t play the kids, as the op puts it.
They are back to training today or yesterday.

roonster09

Scout
But there’s no reason we can’t rest players if we want?
We can. That's what I said, at best we will get rest from 10th to sept 14. If we play finals then 21st to Sept 20-21.

We can play most of our first 11 in last 2 games. LASK game is a dead rubber. QF we can win by playing half of first team and then players like McT, Fred, Mata, Bailly, Williams, James.

Maticmaker

Surely the Europa is now our 'preseason' ? Ole can 'blood' some youngsters against Lask (5-0 up is when you can make unenforced changes), then the rest is a run-in to the new season with the added bonus of possibly picking up some silverware, like instead of Community Shield?

EwanI Ted

We can. That's what I said, at best we will get rest from 10th to sept 14. If we play finals then 21st to Sept 20-21.

We can play most of our first 11 in last 2 games. LASK game is a dead rubber. QF we can win by playing half of first team and then players like McT, Fred, Mata, Bailly, Williams, James.
Hmm. Maybe I’m not being clear.

Could we not use players from now until the PL seasons starts, if we want?

Withnail

My priorities are always to see my club do the best.

But people are failing to see the big picture here. The players will have little time off before another 50 game plus season and then it's the Euros right after which only makes things worse.

The Europa League isn't being played when it was meant to. Us coming back and playing catch up in the PL points wise and fitness wise doesn't appeal to me.

Imagine if our first game of the season is Wolves or Leicester away and they are already 2 PL games into their seasons and much sharper. Imagine the meltdown if we fail to win that which could easily happen given we'd be behind them on match sharpness.

If the Europa was being played at its normal time then I'd have a very different opinion to the one I now have.
Then why make statements suggesting that you want the team to fail in some way so you can gloat about being right?

It's bizzare.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Then why make statements suggesting that you want the team to fail in some way so you can gloat about being right?

It's bizzare.
It's not gloating mate. People on here are fickle as hell.

The Europa League is clearly better than winning nothing but if its going to harm us next season which I fear it may then why risk it. The reward isn't that great anyway. We already have the CL in the bag and the big boys don't even play in this competition.

If we have to play catch up and end up dropping 4pts say in our first 2 league games because our opponents are more match fit than us I will be livid.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's not gloating mate. People on here are fickle as hell.

The Europa League is clearly better than winning nothing but if its going to harm us next season which I fear it may then why risk it. The reward isn't that great anyway. We already have the CL in the bag and the big boys don't even play in this competition.

If we have to play catch up and end up dropping 4pts say in our first 2 league games because our opponents are more match fit than us I will be livid.
What happens if we don't drop points in the first few games? What happens of we are sharper then them because we've kept our match fitness up throughout pre season by playing competitive games?
What happens if we hit the ground running and carry on our unbeaten league run?
You are so negative!
Let's win the bloody trophy, get a better seeding in the Champions League and use it to prepare for next season.
It's really not an issue!

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
Playing a crap team could end up with us humiliated and the players thinking "what's the point" whereas a Europa league win could really galvanise the lads for next season. I say play a weakened team but cautiously. Not 11 kids

::sonny::

Henderson

AWB Smalling Maguire Shaw

McTominay Pogba

B.Fernandes

Greenwood Sanchez

Ighalo​

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What happens if we don't drop points in the first few games? What happens of we are sharper then them because we've kept our match fitness up throughout pre season by playing competitive games?
What happens if we hit the ground running and carry on our unbeaten league run?
You are so negative!
Let's win the bloody trophy, get a better seeding in the Champions League and use it to prepare for next season.
It's really not an issue!
I hate to say I told you so.

Status
Not open for further replies.