Player’s You Don’t Rate As Highly As Others

432JuanMata

Thought I’d make a thread as we all have certain opinions on players that are rated really high but you yourself don’t think so.
You can still rate the player just not as high or a player you think is rubbish but others think are good to great.

I’ll start Etoo

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
A lot of this thread is just gonna be about how mad you are for not thinking Eto'o was brilliant.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bruno. I think he's a very good player but he's not a top tier player. I think he's had a great year but I feel his numbers will level out as his career at Utd progresses.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
2 terrible shouts thus far.

John Terry. What he did well, better defenders wouldn't have to do in the first place.

OL29

I probably wasn’t watching closely enough but I never bought the hype around Schweinsteiger.

432JuanMata

A lot of this thread is just gonna be about how mad you are for not thinking Eto'o was brilliant.
Well I should of gave a explanation. He was a very good player rated him everywhere but he got classed as one of the best at Barca during a time when they had the best midfield trio ever, Messi in his Prime and the best manager at the time. I still rated him highly but never thought he was world class, might be a minority opinion but it’s how I felt

Bwuk

Henry. He was obviously a unbelievable player, but people talk about him as the best premier league player ever and that’s just ridiculous to me.

DOTA

Henry. He was obviously a unbelievable player, but people talk about him as the best premier league player ever and that’s just ridiculous to me.
Jesus Christ. I thought Eto'o was a dodgy shout...

DOTA

Pele. I don't think his positional awareness was all that.

Bwuk

Jesus Christ. I thought Eto'o was a dodgy shout...
Not sure what I’ve said that was dodgy? He was brilliant. But the best to have played in the league? Not for me.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Which players would you have over Henry, out of interest?

(In terms of skill/impact, not just longevity, before you try and whip your Giggs out :lol: )

DOTA

(In terms of skill/impact, not just longevity, before you try and whip your Giggs out :lol: )
The only player I think you can make a serious case for is Shearer but I fear something much worse is coming.

432JuanMata

Probably be killed for this but Bergkamp was another for me. He was very good and silky but never rated as high as others did

Oranges038

Eto'o, every time I hear his name I think of this goal. Love it.

Mine would be Van Dijk. Yeah, he's a good player, but some people act like he invented a new way of defending and that he's the best to ever play the game. He didn't and he's not.

Bwuk

Cristiano Ronaldo is the best to have played in the league. Not going to list other names.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
John Terry was just an slightly above average defender playing with better players, Steven Gerrard was only rated highly because he's English and got many MOTM for England while doing feck all

Spaghetti

Mom's
Yeah he was rubbish :lol:

Sticking to an Arsenal theme, I always found Bergkamp to be overrated. A little further away, Sergio Busquets.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Mine would be Van Dijk. Yeah, he's a good player, but some people act like he invented a new way of defending and that he's the best to ever play the game. He didn't and he's not.
I think with VVD it's partly because we've been starved for great CB's in the prem for a while now, which makes him seem even better.

In recent times, I can only think of Kompany and VVD and Robert Huth as great center backs, unless i'm missing any.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Lampard. I do rate him highly, just a little lower than the general consensus I imagine.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Busquets.
Casillas
And maybe a trad controversial, Kaka.

Bwuk

I think with VVD it's partly because we've been starved for great CB's in the prem for a while now, which makes him seem even better.

In recent times, I can only think of Kompany and VVD and Robert Huth as great center backs, unless i'm missing any.
Wes Morgan?

DOTA

Actually this is my shout. I don't think Kompany was all that.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Actually this is my shout. I don't think Kompany was all that.
To be fair, I think he did an outstanding job, considering some of the lemons he was partnered with. It'd be like judging Vidic based on a partnership with Phil Jones.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Pavel Nedved is one of those names that I see pop up as one of peoples favourite players but I never got it with him.

The Original

Well I should of gave a explanation. He was a very good player rated him everywhere but he got classed as one of the best at Barca during a time when they had the best midfield trio ever, Messi in his Prime and the best manager at the time. I still rated him highly but never thought he was world class, might be a minority opinion but it’s how I felt

Nope, he was classed as the best in the generation right before this happened. When Eto'o was king, Xavi wasn't really playing and Iniesta was getting games here and there and Messi would make his debut towards the end of that era. Eto'o made his name playing with Ronaldinho and Deco, under Rijkaard.

DOTA

Nope, he was classed as the best in the generation right before this happened. When Eto'o was king, Xavi wasn't really playing and Iniesta was getting games here and there and Messi would make his debut towards the end of that era. Eto'o made his name playing with Ronaldinho and Deco, under Rijkaard.
He also banged in 37 in all comps in his second season after being traded for Zlatan.

Bertie Wooster

I'd pick a lot of the dirty CB's / DM's who, if the refs had done their job correctly and penalised them for their endless fouls rather than letting them be 'designated dirty b*stards' who get away with it, wouldn't have been classed anywhere near as effective as they'd have got far more red and yellow cards and would have given away far more FK's and penalties.

Far too many of them to list, but a few would include Terry, Keown, Puyol, De Jong, Fernandinho, Savage, Scott Brown, etc...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Bruno. I think he’s a good player, but he isn’t top tier/elite. I think his current standing is a combination of stats (with no small helping of penalties) and just a general narrative that has swept on that he’s our saviour. I see some similarities with my next player:

Javier Hernandez - when he was here, in that there was an effort to create a narrative that he was a South American superstar striker that all our rivals should be envious of. There was also this narrative that, if you hold him up under a certain light and look from a certain angle - he was absolutely rapid (fastest speed in a World Cup apparently) - but he was never a Walcott/Rashford speedster either. Was clear that he was good in the box, but not an elite, world class striker. I feel that the club played a big part in this. He was a snip at £6m during our value in the market days, and I felt at the time that there was a concerted effort to repackage him as something he wasn’t in order to pull the wool over the fans eyes and create a budget icon.

Aubameyang - never impresses me. I can’t prove that he’s shit though because he has great stats. Usually.

Firmino - I think my views on him are well documented on here. He’s out of his depth and a con-artist.

Henderson - right place at the right time player. But nothing special.

McTominay - narrative amongst some sections of fans and media that he’s too class, Keane reborn. Not for me, average player, although a useful one.

lysglimt

Scout
Out of the United-players - Mark Hughes. He played With Cantona, Ince, Keane, Robson, Sharpe, Giggs, Kanchelskis - and he never once managed to score more than 15 goals in a season after returing to United 1988. And yes of course there was more to his game than just scoring goals, but 15 goals ? Strange fact though - from 89 to 94 - he scored 14, 13, 10, 11, 15, 12 goals - so he got every number from 10 go 15

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Bruno. I think he's a very good player but he's not a top tier player. I think he's had a great year but I feel his numbers will level out as his career at Utd progresses.
Kind of agree. The impact he has on games is more what you'd expect from a top striker than a midfielder. He does nothing for long periods, sometimes he's out and out dodgy, but he'll redeem himself with the killer pass or goal. He's good but I don't think he's quite as great as everyone makes out. Ultimately though, the argument will be sidelined for as long as he maintains the stats.