Player Awards - why?

United Hobbit

I thought these had been cancelled yet this morning I've been invited by the app to vote for the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Season.

I've then just received another notice to tell me that "one red is keeping his cards close to his chest" as to how he's voted for the player's player award

After such a shambolic season, how on earth can we justify handing out awards, and including so many undeserving players on the list that can be voted for?

Obviously Ronaldo should be the only justifiable option, and I've voted for him, and I'd be happy to see a young player award, but how can we even think about handing out awards after this season....

RonaldoVII

Are only successful clubs allowed to have individual awards? Would be a bit soft if we only had awards when we had a successful season.

Wilt

‘Worst Player of the Season’ would be more fitting.

WPMUFC

Are only successful clubs allowed to have individual awards? Would be a bit soft if we only had awards when we had a successful season.
When our GK comes out after the last game and tells players to leave the club and hopefully the manager can buy some players with the right attitude.....what is there to celebrate?

SER19

I can understand the awards being issued, but it was absolutely right for there to be no celebration night or presentation event.

Bondi77

Laziest cnut award would have been a nail biter and the worst pass award would have been close but Bruno won it on the last game of the season.

Jericho

Only the ceremony was canceled. The awards were still always going to happen. And they should. We had a shite season by our own standards, but we finished 7th in a league of 20 teams. Should the 13 teams below us cancel their awards too?

phelans shorts

When our GK comes out after the last game and tells players to leave the club and hopefully the manager can buy some players with the right attitude.....what is there to celebrate?
How about a youth cup win? Or the womens team pushing the long established City side to the last day for the Champions League spot?

WPMUFC

How about a youth cup win? Or the womens team pushing the long established City side to the last day for the Champions League spot?
great....allow them to have an awards night. I'm not talking about any one else but the main squad. If the youth and womens team want to celebrate, by all means. None of those main squad players should have any awards or celebrations.

phelans shorts

great....allow them to have an awards night. I'm not talking about any one else but the main squad. If the youth and womens team want to celebrate, by all means. None of those main squad players should have any awards or celebrations.
The whole point is that they all share one night… it has the added effect of them having to sit and congratulate others who were more successful than themselves and instilling a level of professional pride.

Lynty

I think it should have still gone ahead.

Isn't it basically like being a little shit at school and copping out of parents evening or when you have to go collect your GCSE results. Let the youth team and womens team get their awards presented correctly, and let the main squad squirm a little from the embarrassment of undeserved awards.

TheReligion

Abusive
they aren’t having a celebration or awards night?

more drama over nothing

some of our fans are part of the problems at the club I feel

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
At my high school we used to always give out end of year awards even though our school was quite shit. It was just a way of highlighting the positives of the year and provide people with hope that things would get better. It also made sure that everyone knew that if they made an individual effort it would be recognised. If they didn't make an effort they would be promptly driven to Manchester, given a multimillion pound contract and play for United.

WPMUFC

At my high school we used to always give out end of year awards even though our school was quite shit. It was just a way of highlighting the positives of the year and provide people with hope that things would get better. It also made sure that everyone knew that if they made an individual effort it would be recognised. If they didn't make an effort they would be promptly driven to Manchester, given a multimillion pound contract and play for United.
:lol:

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Lolzy

Born2Lose

I think there needs to be a distinction between the players at the club who aren't good enough and those who've downed tools.

I can't fault Fred's effort or commitment for example. the problem is he just isn't good enough. If he's picked the most that can be expected of him is to try his best.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I thought these had been cancelled yet this morning I've been invited by the app to vote for the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Season.

I've then just received another notice to tell me that "one red is keeping his cards close to his chest" as to how he's voted for the player's player award

After such a shambolic season, how on earth can we justify handing out awards, and including so many undeserving players on the list that can be voted for?

Obviously Ronaldo should be the only justifiable option, and I've voted for him, and I'd be happy to see a young player award, but how can we even think about handing out awards after this season....
Think of it in a differnt light:

Not being able to take your losses in a good fashion is at least as pathetic as the season we have just finished. Simply cancelling any type of tradition because we didnt finish top4 is not only unreasonably whiny, its shitty and disrespectful to the clubs that finished under us, as if its beneath us to have a award ceremony for having had a poor season.

I 100% support not having a celebratory galla, but you act like a goddamn adult and continue the tradition like all clubs in the Premier League do, in win and defeat.

choccy77

Who Ate all the pies award.

Who was unable mentally to train award

Who was unable mentally to play award

Who kept requesting not to be played award

Who's brother is a complete cnt award

Let's give Phil another contract award

Who took my number away from me award

I'm amazed they could fit all of these into one night, no wonder they cancelled

MUW4Eva

I can understand the awards being issued, but it was absolutely right for there to be no celebration night or presentation event.
What on earth is this nonsense??

The awards are a celebration of the whole club, you do realise that the club has many more teams that represent it than just the men's first team....don't you??

We have been very successful at youth level in both genders this season, why should they miss out on having an awards night, just because the men's first team were not good??

This event is a chance for people from all of the teams, players and staff to mingle and to chat, and for people to be recognised for their achievements this season.

I just don't get this perspective, that because the men's first team were not up to par, then that means the whole club wasn't....

phelans shorts

Womens football has a lot of work to do to catch up to mens football really.
and? Why should the awards night where they can be proud of what they achieved be cancelled just because Ralf Rangnick is useless?

Manchester United do have things to celebrate from this season, the mens first team being shite shouldn’t stop the positives being celebrated.

SER19

What on earth is this nonsense??

The awards are a celebration of the whole club, you do realise that the club has many more teams that represent it than just the men's first team....don't you??

We have been very successful at youth level in both genders this season, why should they miss out on having an awards night, just because the men's first team were not good??

This event is a chance for people from all of the teams, players and staff to mingle and to chat, and for people to be recognised for their achievements this season.

I just don't get this perspective, that because the men's first team were not up to par, then that means the whole club wasn't....
Calm down, yikes, by the players own admission it would look very bad to see them swanning around on a red carpet in suits after what they've done this season and that has absolutely no bearing on other teams at the club having a ceremony and some first teamers there in some capacity without being part of the usual press junket that these awards night is every year

MUW4Eva

Calm down, yikes, by the players own admission it would look very bad to see them swanning around on a red carpet in suits after what they've done this season and that has absolutely no bearing on other teams at the club having a ceremony and some first teamers there in some capacity without being part of the usual press junket that these awards night is every year
Which players are you talking about?

Why should the men's first team having a poor season mean that they awards are cancelled?

If next season, the women's first team have a poor season, but the men's first team say finish second, would it be right, for them to get the awards cancelled, due to them having a poor season??

Would it look very bad if the women's team were to dress up whilst they had a bad season in this example??

There is far more to the club as a whole, and this is what this night, and these awards are all about, then just one team, they are there to celebrate ALL of the teams, and ALL of the staff.

Not sure why that seems to be such a hard thing to understand or comprehend.......

Corridor of Uncertainty

Why should the men's first team having a poor season mean that they awards are cancelled?

If next season, the women's first team have a poor season, but the men's first team say finish second, would it be right, for them to get the awards cancelled, due to them having a poor season??

Would it look very bad if the women's team were to dress up whilst they had a bad season in this example??

There is far more to the club as a whole, and this is what this night, and these awards are all about, then just one team, they are there to celebrate ALL of the teams, and ALL of the staff.

Not sure why that seems to be such a hard thing to understand or comprehend.......
Tough. Everything at the club revolves around the men's team. Just because you don't like that fact, it doesn't make it untrue.

Last edited:

SER19

You seem to be pushing a gender issue that doesn't exist, so I'm going to politely back away from this conversation with a final respectful attempt to explain my commonly held opinion.

These players have turned in the worst Premier league season ever and created the most toxic relationship between fans and players in decades.

Whether you like it or not, the men's first team is the face of the club and it would rankle with large numbers of fans to see them suited and booted for the cameras. The media too would have a field day. If talk is to believed the players themselves feel this way so spare me your mock lack of comprehension

I've already clarified that this wouldn't have a bearing on other teams at the club and am not about to go into hypothetical logistics. If you think the women's team need men there as cheerleaders then i find that patronising to them. I don't believe the first team should be given awards at a black tie event this year. If you choose to extrapolate that into some sort of outrage based on anything else, do so without involving me again